Author Topic: An Proto-Teach Éireannach  (Read 33380 times)

Scruff

Re: An Proto-Teach Éireannach
« Reply #561 on: January 16, 2022, 06:19:03 PM »

Estimated. 1.5kWh less per day to run this thing compared to the Ctrl-X'd ceramic element jobber it replaced.

~0.5MWh per year usage reduction. If my ballparking is correct-ish.
Double+ speed coffee rocks.

No heat waste output surface area. It only heats iron.

2 year payback.
Beat that battery! Narf!...Spare me!...Ya can't!!  :P

I'll let you know Bruce if the noise changes in off-grid power next time I try it.

Scruff

« Reply #562 on: January 16, 2022, 06:55:54 PM »
Ya just can't beat a good meter!

How many cars don't have fuel gauges?
How many off-gridders don't have SOC metering?
How many of those off-gridders without battery SOC metering are underwhelmed by system performance. Feedback is an asset. Probably of utmost precedence.

I bought this jobber in an Eblague auction. Spares repairs..untested.

Display model of a prototype? It's not a product I can find online.

The integrated PICO is of great interest to me.
...hrmmm..all those unpopulated solder pads...SEMA ready?

I powered it and it didn't do much...

Hrmmm RTFM time...

Thaar's yer peroblem!

Ok fixt that! Zing!

43% Charged power supply...cwaor this thing is clever!

Built-in barograph sensor?! Ok! Why not!

Maybe that's important if I have sails?

Mostly I want it for tank level readouts.
I set one up and plugged it into the atmosphere.

Shiney!  ;D

It does oodles more there's an entire infrastructure....I have 8 sender inputs! 7 voltage inputs!  Potentially infinite shunts!! :-*
I've no idea how the rest of the panel is supposed to work...maybe there's a manual for that too..
Blimey..there's an NMEA 2000 port too! CAn I?....
..and it looks like it charges yer iphone too...

What?
ha! yersh...there's an app for that! It's a wi-fi hotspot connecty thing.

Better pack sandwiches! This'll be a long rabbithole!

Scruff

« Reply #563 on: January 16, 2022, 07:11:20 PM »
I installed an new primary alternator on Froya a week ago. Clients tried the old remove the battery with the engine running trick.

No pics but direct swap. The battery light didn't return so I must go looking for a fuse.

Mystery solved. The answer is probably in the picture.
The paired alternators' field coils' are defeating the battery light, by holding the field high on both sides of the lamp, due to the way I intercepted the legacy wiring. The field sense is working fine.
An old salt rang me one night to explain it to me. He was on Froya replacing the oil pressure sender unit for the right one. Third guy to attempt repair actually..the first two tried to "fix" the oil pressure. He was impressed that the old girl was pushing 250A with 2kVA to spare.

Artful Bodger

« Reply #564 on: January 21, 2022, 03:33:04 PM »
You tried googling the FCCID on that sumarine thingy. Often yields manuals.
2012 1.1kW PV + SMA SB1700. 2021 740W PV + 600W Hoymiles MI600

Scruff

« Reply #565 on: January 22, 2022, 03:50:29 PM »
It looks like it's functional except the Nereide outputs (tactile buttons) that haven't had a switching distribution interface invented for yet.

Scruff

« Reply #566 on: January 22, 2022, 04:19:59 PM »
Diverter update Jan.

€2.50 in the kitty!
from 5.25kWp Solar.
4 x ground mounts + 1 x vehicle mount.

12.7kWh available for use in an expensive battery that owes the installation money.
Expecting a generous 80% RTE on such a system. That'd be 10kWh I could have extracted from a battery if it had accepted it and didn't have a solar freakin' battery heater and an inarguably impossible zero quiescent load. 2.75kWh I could have used to heat water instead of electronic heat sinks or donated it to the betterment of mankind if I wasn't trying to be selfish green teal.

Let's see how I could not use 10kWh in a day instead of 28days.

Going to the shop for take out: 30kWh of petro-chemicals + CO2.
Closing the curtains: ~15kWh thermal energy.
Working in the daytime for passive light and space heating: ~22kWh
Using a clothes line instead of a drier (two loads):~ 12kWh
Induction cooking (one week): ~10kWh
Filling a 4" draft hole in the house: ~1kWh per day
Shutting the doors between the atmosphere and the interior: varies say 5kWh day.
Heat water I was going to heat anyway: parity+20% at lower legacy cost.
Not running ludicrous test loads like normal, all day at work: 75kWh
New spark plugs: +2MPG = 60Wh per mile

Opportunity loads....like use the washing machines at noon instead of dawn/night: parity + 20%.
No Xmas lights: 1ish kWh per day.
Better insulation...currently I can recuperate about 6kWh in heat losses per €100 invested...because it's so shyte.

Driving like a normal (half-asleep) person ecologically...5MPG? ~150Wh less energy per mile.
Wheel alignment...Mine's perfect...but you'd be amazed how quickly a mm will cost you in rolling resistance and tyres..

Why do I keep picking on the ICE and building heating? Because it's easy! Utility power is cheap!
Is a new EV better for environmental emission reduction than 20yo running scrap? Nope!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 11:03:36 AM by Scruff »

Scruff

« Reply #567 on: January 22, 2022, 04:36:14 PM »
Greenhouse Gas Taxes! Great idea! Let's have them!

Here's the nations that have signed up! Fair play!

Hey look Ireland is amonsgt them...how proud can I be?

What a pile!?....

Agriculture 37.3% emission contribution
1.4% environmental taxes
26:1

Electric Gen, Industry, Aviation, Maritime, Fuel Extraction, Waste Management, Concrete (chemical - alchemical), Metallurgy, Server Farms: 20.4% emission contribution
Environmental taxes 11.7%
1.74:1

Residential/domestic/small business/private transport/commercial transport: 39% emission contribution
Environmental taxes 86%
1:2.2

€5k EV rebate! Lecky being state-run and bog/coal/gas fueled is carbon exempt... paid for by overtaxing the lesser offenders.
They even have shares in wetland burning operations! ...another environmental tax-free zone.

fARSE biscuits!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 04:49:25 PM by Scruff »

Scruff

« Reply #568 on: January 22, 2022, 06:46:35 PM »
How many battery owners are using privately-owned vessels greater than 1 ton in mass to teleport their bottoms?

What's a BMW X5 weigh? They're popular! 2.5 ton?

Save the planet. Shrink your car.

What's that? EVs weigh 2 ton too? How progressive  ::)...to move an average 100kg payload? Carry on!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #569 on: January 23, 2022, 12:26:59 PM »
Greenhouse Gas Taxes! Great idea! Let's have them!

Here's the nations that have signed up! Fair play!

Hey look Ireland is amonsgt them...how proud can I be?

What a pile!?....

Agriculture 37.3% emission contribution
1.4% environmental taxes
26:1

Electric Gen, Industry, Aviation, Maritime, Fuel Extraction, Waste Management, Concrete (chemical - alchemical), Metallurgy, Server Farms: 20.4% emission contribution
Environmental taxes 11.7%
1.74:1

Residential/domestic/small business/private transport/commercial transport: 39% emission contribution
Environmental taxes 86%
1:2.2

€5k EV rebate! Lecky being state-run and bog/coal/gas fueled is carbon exempt... paid for by overtaxing the lesser offenders.
They even have shares in wetland burning operations! ...another environmental tax-free zone.

fARSE biscuits!

HECK NO! My taxes are to dang high already!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #570 on: January 23, 2022, 12:28:32 PM »
Small car is useless for me, I move fairly big loads at times, especially in winter when I stuff 1/2 ton of pellets in the back of my SUV! And I need to ground clearance for snow!

Scruff

« Reply #571 on: January 23, 2022, 12:30:58 PM »
Mary B the tax is supposed to penalise polluting corporations not individuals and be used for subsidising and incentivising sustainable power sources and carbon recapture tech.
It's proven to work in economic upturn.

Clean air is no longer free nor the norm.

Small car doesn't suit everyone just nearly everyone. How often do you see a 4x4 tank with no tow-bar?!
I have 2 x 1 ton cars, a 3.5GVW van and a 7.5GVW truck.
Take a knife to a knife fight mentality.
Combined investment for the fleet is less than yer average EV after subsidy. The youngest is a 19yo.

MattM

« Reply #572 on: January 23, 2022, 12:32:49 PM »
Like Mary said, small vehicles aren't for everyone.

I have a commute short enough for a golf cart.  To get there I have no legal avenues to drive one there because I have to cross highways.  Once there I can use an office-supplied vehicle to do work-related travel.  I'd much rather spend $5k on a nice golf cart (thats easily under 1,000 pounds) than $30k on a vehicle.  But it is impractical. 

Future towns should cater to golf carts and funnel car traffic in main thoroughfares that dump into transit hubs, outdoor malls or squares, and neighborhoods.  If you want the best convenient parking, drive a bike or golf cart.  Instead of bike lanes we should have 'E' lanes, because any more I see mostly electric bikes in the bike lanes.  E lanes would be for lightweight electrics and human-powered vehicles limited to something like 25 mph.  And allow your e-vehicles to do U-turns at crosswalks.  That should keep them out of excuses for using them in car lanes.

Trucks and SUVs have their place.  So does the tractor.  So a golf cart isn't replacing everything.  In my area I need the pickup and SUV for yard work and family outings.  I just don't see the need to replace them as often if I had cheap commutes available.

Scruff

« Reply #573 on: January 23, 2022, 12:42:19 PM »
The reason I mentioned a small car is; knocking kg off your ICE deadweight is an order of magnitude more effective at reducing CO2 production than installing a battery in your house. Driving a ~2.5ton behemoth while attempting to save the planet by putting a 1kWh Li-Ion solar efficiency reduction device on a house is a ridiculously flawed logic. More common than not around these parts. Solar "subsidies" are exploiting native end users for €10k+ systems with BS payback claims that I can outperform with a third of the investment and half the hardware. That was the only point I was trying to transmit.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #574 on: January 23, 2022, 01:40:41 PM »
For those of us that already don't own a car and don't fly and that use a fraction of the kWh of homes around us, and that do care about trying to see if demand-curve shaping and reducing I^2R and DNO losses is useful?  B^>

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Scruff

« Reply #575 on: January 23, 2022, 03:46:37 PM »
For those of us that already don't own a car and don't fly and that use a fraction of the kWh of homes around us, and that do care about trying to see if demand-curve shaping and reducing I^2R and DNO losses is useful?  B^>

Certainly, Damon however aren't the DNO more motivated, informed, qualified, and at scale to do so if it was viable?
I just can't understand how paying extra for >20% loss of power on that network at a domestic level is viable or effective. Especially compared to a lottov more impactful lesser costly changes I can make around me.

Say I give all my solar that I can't use myself to the network for free that happens about 3 hours around midday 3ish months a year. That's offsetting production at the utility generator. Then I put the investment of what a battery would cost into any energy-intensive application around me which are abundantly frequent, starting with the least efficient (and it's not solar production by a long shot) outcome is orders of magnitude less CO2 in the atmosphere and lower sea levels etc...

I really can boil it down to
Grid-tied battery = solar oversupply efficiency reduction device.
Is there anything I can do to increase production or reduce consumption that costs less and is more effective in terms of net offset of kWh of utilty dirty fuel and hydrocarbons that we're sharing an atmosphere and water table with its byproducts?
Ah..yes....they're everywhere!!..in fact anything better than 20% loss, is better than a grid-tied battery. All my representative data published here is as I read it is pointed at this.
No grid-tied battery for me = 200% less thermal energy burned at the generator to match my contribution for my neighbours' load who don't have solar...that's nearly all of them.
Having said that I'm exporting nearly zero most of the time...because I can use most of it most of the time and that's how I design an adequate and efficient generation system.

Even simpler.
Which is best in order of preference:
River - {Generator} (Solar)
Water - {Subscription ie. utility} (Power)
Bucket - {Recepticle with intrinsic losses} (Battery)
Less Water Demand - {Offset}

Speaking of energy offset, if I fix that leak in the bathroom tap I could probably reduce demand at the water treatment plant...a €0.05 rubber washer could save a ton a month...I'll bet

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #576 on: January 23, 2022, 05:19:11 PM »
Hi,

1) It's a big problem but the DNOs are NOT motivated to fix things much at the moment in the GB regulatory environment.  And losses in their part of the network are ~5% ie each way...

2) We're going to need storage at various places in the system and it will have RTT losses.  Some of the key storage arrangements won't just be where losses are lowest.  Some of those locations may or may not be behind the meter.

3) Not making the grid take a flood of power from my panels at noon on a sunny day (nor hand it back to me between 4pm and 7pm) is probably more useful than the losses are harmful, and that will become increasingly true, thus (2).

But I genuinely don't know the answers and I am being astonished by some of the the data, which I publish.

And you probably won't approve of my next storage wheeze, but there we go!  %-P

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Scruff

« Reply #577 on: January 23, 2022, 05:27:46 PM »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #578 on: January 23, 2022, 06:40:40 PM »
chaos theory, in mechanics and mathematics, the study of apparently random or unpredictable behaviour in systems governed by deterministic laws. A more accurate term, deterministic chaos, suggests a paradox because it connects two notions that are familiar and commonly regarded as incompatible

Scruff please keep your diary's in separate format. IE separate entry's refrained and not throw this one category's to overloading the forum front page. "instead" keep your diary entrées in the Pub.

Ok have a nice day       

Scruff

« Reply #579 on: January 23, 2022, 07:11:34 PM »
Are you struggling to see a parallel between hot-rodding lego and building high-performance electrical installations? Engineering principles.

There's a few underlying themes....it's all relevant.

The most obvious to me is;

Learn to define the problem. Too much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Does the resolution lessen the problem? Adding a battery? Not much.
Can we do better? Yes. How? Find a less expensive way to put less carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and tell your friends about it.

Step one: measure the system. That's important.

How much reinventing the wheel has the RE market done in the last 10 years? The lego story is a gag representative of the modern "RE" market.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #580 on: January 24, 2022, 12:27:39 PM »
Mary B the tax is supposed to penalise polluting corporations not individuals and be used for subsidising and incentivising sustainable power sources and carbon recapture tech.

Small car doesn't suit everyone just nearly everyone. How often do you see a 4x4 tank with no tow-bar?!
Combined investment for the fleet is less than yer average EV after subsidy. The youngest is a 19yo.

Corporations pass that tax onto who? ME! It is a tax on me then.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #581 on: January 24, 2022, 12:37:54 PM »

I don't have the energy to maintain a fleet of old cars/trucks nor do I want to pay the license plate fees and the cost of insurance on them all so 1 vehicle has to do it all for me. And MANY will be in the same boat. I compromised by going from my 2 ton truck to a 1 1/2 ton SUV with less cargo capacity.

TechAdmin

« Reply #582 on: January 25, 2022, 01:25:18 AM »
Topic cleared from unrelated posts, back to the subject :)

And to cheer everyone up, a few more emojis have been made visible (they were usable, but hidden, now they're on the post form too). These ones  >:D ^-^ O0
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 01:38:29 AM by TechAdmin »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #583 on: January 25, 2022, 02:35:02 PM »

No heat waste output surface area. It only heats iron.

I'll let you know Bruce if the noise changes in off-grid power next time I try it.
Scruff ; Sorry for the late reply~ "life/death" got in the way  :'(

I agree for the most part of there's no waste heat of the surface area. Through several different pans that are induction ready there is some waste heat, even with cast iron and ceramic coated cookware. The surface area can and does get pretty darn hot, nothing like all the rest though
To perform a "test" I'm repurposing my distiller's setup and the associated batteries & PVs to get everything to link up to my 3000watt 12V inverter. Can't/ won't disconnect the smaller pure sine unit for just such test .

Let me know, I'll do the same.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Scruff

« Reply #584 on: February 05, 2022, 08:45:11 AM »

Astro

« Reply #585 on: February 05, 2022, 10:56:56 AM »
I will say this about the conversations here.
 If a person is really interested in lowering pollutants in the air, a scrubber would probably be the way to go. At least more of an investment in it would be warranted. Last I knew there were a few places with a 5 million dollar grant for R&D, but most are only a million or two. I mean if you are really concerned about the planet and one country by itself is willing to spend trillions on electric cars (which I would love to look at the projected numbers on all that), I would think grants of 25-30 million for the development of scrubbers would be the norm, if one were concerned about the planet. I think the numbers between the two innovations would be fun to look at. I am betting dollar for dollar and the amount of pollutants to make and operate both systems would show that electric cars are not the bees knees in saving the planet. They are however a profit making machine for governments and big corps.
 It is the same with solar. They are pushing solar like nobody's business. Why? Because lot's of money is being traded from hand to hand. I wonder if my homeowners is going to cover hail damage to a solar system? What if my roof needs replaced? Who is going pay to take all of that off and reinstall? Why don't homeowners get the same tax incentives to put up a windmill as they do solar? Why doesn't the market for controllers and such support wind as much as it does solar??  Well, I suppose it all comes down to the same reason there are not dyi build your own solar panels. NO MONEY in t for the government and big corps.
I have said it before, they are not going to save the planet unless there is a profit in it and that right there tells you how concerned they are about it.
 Oh and btw, we built a scrubber for a place I worked at, and that was 15 plus years ago. So they know it works. IDK, maybe power the thing from a turbine??? Then you would really be cooking.
So it is not a question of how. It is a question of how can some people get rich doing it.

Scruff

« Reply #586 on: February 05, 2022, 11:05:56 AM »
Iceland are building CO² scrubbers and burying all the captured deep underground as carbon crystals. From a mostly geothermal and hydro grid.
I think I'll go visit to see.
It's very expensive tech and can't really meet demand...less is more on the matter I think. We have to start by reducing.

I had leds in my hand the other day and all I could see was the economic policies of the country I bought them from. I almost what to drop them. The least I could do is recycle. They deserve better than the bin...metal, semi-conductor, energy, CO², shipping....couldn't throw them away.

Difficult to think big enough to solve this problem. We have to work together if we are to succeed.

Astro

« Reply #587 on: February 05, 2022, 01:16:35 PM »
Iceland are building CO² scrubbers and burying all the captured deep underground as carbon crystals. From a mostly geothermal and hydro grid.
I think I'll go visit to see.
It's very expensive tech and can't really meet demand...less is more on the matter I think. We have to start by reducing.

I had leds in my hand the other day and all I could see was the economic policies of the country I bought them from. I almost what to drop them. The least I could do is recycle. They deserve better than the bin...metal, semi-conductor, energy, CO², shipping....couldn't throw them away.

Difficult to think big enough to solve this problem. We have to work together if we are to succeed.

I agree.
 Like I said, do not go thinking the governments and big corp are going to solve this or any problem, unless there is money in it. Iceland probably leads the world by a large margin in the selflessness area when it comes to the planet.
 In the US, we sit on a super volcano. Huge geothermal opportunity. Yet not once have I heard a politician say "hey Iceland has proven you can make good power from this, maybe we should build one".
America is a consumer driven economy and China likes it that way. So do not go thinking China or our own government is looking to do anything without a profit. Where are solar panels made? Where are most batteries for electric cars made? Look at the US government and climate or pollution, the same way they treat sickness of a person. Throw drugs at it and make sure those drugs are marked way up and making big companies AND the government (and the individuals in the government) extremely wealthy, but never really solving the problem. We have old people taking 6-10 prescriptions a day for heavens sake!!
 It was when I realized this, and how several times I have either had an idea stolen, or in some way been taken advantage of by the system, while they get rich and I get to struggle, that I decided ok, I may not know much, but I do know that sounds like a rigged game. I may not be able to figure everything out, but if I can help figure something out that helps later, then I am ok with that. Because it does take us all.
 At my age I have figured out my worth. In the process of doing that, I have become more and more of a recluse with less and less of an interest in what goes on in the world.
 Told my gal, you know they say you will walk past about 30 murders in your life. What about molesters? What about drug addicts? What about wife beaters? What about some greedy person who screws others out of money? What about........... Point is to me the world is fine. Quite amazing and beautiful actually. The people??? Not so much. So I have no interest in what they do or what goes on out there.
 So you win me over with save the planet more then help the people. Unfortunately I know that the 2 go hand in hand. I also know that big corps and governments do not understand that. So again, you can not rely on them to save anything except themselves.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 03:28:41 PM by Astro »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #588 on: February 05, 2022, 01:30:00 PM »
I have go rounds on twitter over green energy madness. Look the USA is going green! As China has 500+ coal plants that  are going to be built over the next 30 years..."But that isn't here, our air is clean!"... *beats head on desk* you do know that pollution circles the planet? "But our air is clean!" NIMBY not in my backyard types..."But my electric car doesn't pollute at all", let me see... iron mining, copper mining, oil for the plastics, lithium open pit mines for the batteries, cobalt mines  with child slave labor in Africa for the motors etc etc etc your power is coming from a coal plant most likely, or natural gas peaking plant, or a nuke plant with a 100,000 year pollution problem! "But my car is green!" *beats head on desk*

Sorry for the rant.. the lack of education today is criminal!

Scruff

« Reply #589 on: February 05, 2022, 01:31:50 PM »
I think money's broken folks. I'll think about it some more and get back to yee. I found a great use for this hole I dug...I'll put a hatchet in it and go spend time with my family while I think about how to make things better for the world we are giving the next generation.

Astro

« Reply #590 on: February 05, 2022, 03:23:53 PM »
I have go rounds on twitter over green energy madness. Look the USA is going green! As China has 500+ coal plants that  are going to be built over the next 30 years..."But that isn't here, our air is clean!"... *beats head on desk* you do know that pollution circles the planet? "But our air is clean!" NIMBY not in my backyard types..."But my electric car doesn't pollute at all", let me see... iron mining, copper mining, oil for the plastics, lithium open pit mines for the batteries, cobalt mines  with child slave labor in Africa for the motors etc etc etc your power is coming from a coal plant most likely, or natural gas peaking plant, or a nuke plant with a 100,000 year pollution problem! "But my car is green!" *beats head on desk*

Sorry for the rant.. the lack of education today is criminal!

It comes down to critical thinking. The inability for people to think beyond 5 min from now or think a problem all the way through is almost non existent.
 It is rather sad and as you said very frustrating.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #591 on: February 06, 2022, 02:13:01 PM »
I think money's broken folks. I'll think about it some more and get back to yee. I found a great use for this hole I dug...I'll put a hatchet in it and go spend time with my family while I think about how to make things better for the world we are giving the next generation.

Big part of it is easy money... I grew up without most everything... went hungry when we had a bad garden year... I learned at an early age that you work if you want something. As many of us did. We weren't handed everything like kids are now. So we value what we have...

MattM

« Reply #592 on: February 15, 2022, 07:43:20 AM »
Maybe not the best commuter car, but I could get behind something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njkoZLWx74Q

MattM

« Reply #593 on: March 02, 2022, 07:32:36 AM »
Another look at the simplicity of a cycle-car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQWCzPd8FXw