Author Topic: direction of coil wound  (Read 1941 times)

GreenTeam

direction of coil wound
« on: July 03, 2020, 05:31:55 PM »
I have been winding some stators that I pulled out of DVD burners ( really cute 9-12 pole ).
And now im moving on to creating my own little axial flux generator ( 6 coil )
My first set of coils I wound I decided are waaay to teensy :( ( in gauge of wire, size and # of turns )
Soooo my current set I decided to use 5 strands of 0.33mm wiire and made 6 coils with 60 turns using
5 strands of 0.33mm wire! And I just learned that there is a direction that the coils need to be wound!
Seems like one coil goes left, than the next goes right, and back and forth.
Does this make a massive difference if I follow this rule or not? I dont see anything in alot of the materials im
reading about this.
Can anyone please explain this to me?
thank you!

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: direction of coil wound
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 05:33:53 PM »
Yes it matters. 
The reason is that once the field from the magnet passes over the the coil, a current will be induced.  It will flow one way (depending on if the magnet is N or S).  If that coil is connected to another coil, then the current in that coil had better also be going the same way.  If it's not, the current goes nowhere. 
Having coils flipped relative to the others they are connected to is one of those "oops" problems that happens to each of us as we're figuring it out, and eventually we pick up the habits we need.
Label each wire coming from the coil with a letter or a number.  Make a polarity in the coil obvious with your labels.  Also label the magnet faces with the N or S polarity.  The polarity of the magnets that will pass by each coil have to correspond.

One last thing is you don't actually have to be "right" when you label the polarity of the magnets, as long as you can tell opposites from each other.

This is explained and illustrated fairly well in some old Fieldlines posts.  Lemme see...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca