Author Topic: More coil questions!  (Read 1629 times)

GreenTeam

More coil questions!
« on: July 07, 2020, 05:06:19 AM »
I've wound up six coils and they totally weren't the correct shape or size. What I did was wrap 28 awg/0.33mm wire, 5 in hand also , sixty times for a coil. In a sense it's like having three hundred winds because there was five strands. Is my thinking correct? Would the power out put be the same if I took a nineteen awg strand and did sixty turns? Or would I get more out put using the five strands and have more windIngs? My next test bench af gennie will be two strands of 0.5mm/22 awg strands which is equivelant to nineteen awg also! And sixty turns with two strands will only be 120 turns. Would anyone please dump your knowledge into me please about extracting power out of copper coils based on number of turns and awg?
Thank you 😊

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: More coil questions!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 09:20:18 AM »
the voltage in a 5 in hand coil will be about the same as a single strand but the resistance will be 1/5th so the amperage it can carry will be greater.

GreenTeam

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 10:31:43 AM »
Oh really? Why does everyone not do this than? Does this at some point get to be to hot for thinner strands? Because one of my next up coming gennie projects will be using four strands of 0.5 mm wires out if a hoverboard.

SimonMester

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 05:20:17 PM »
May I slightly hijack this thread (to avoid posting a thread for just a small question)?
What is the thickest wire you can still wind by hand 'nicely'. So it's not too stiff to stack up nicely and bend well.
I have used 0.2mm wire, which is incredibly flimsy of course, but stacks and bends perfectly, and had 0.85mm wire, which is just about workable by hand, but it doesn't play very nice, doesnt bend or stack super well.
I have been eyeing 0.6mm wire, which is about half the volume of the 0.85mm going by my maths, but I wonder how 'workable' it would? Before buying it as its not cheap.
Discord: SimonMester#8982

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 11:21:10 AM »
Oh really? Why does everyone not do this than? Does this at some point get to be to hot for thinner strands? Because one of my next up coming gennie projects will be using four strands of 0.5 mm wires out if a hoverboard.

Winding a neat coil with 5 in hand is next to impossible without a machine to do the winding. So the coil gets messy, and thicker causing a loss of voltage... or difficulty fitting the required number of coils in the circle needed.