Author Topic: First build  (Read 5340 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: First build
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2020, 12:04:28 AM »
Spin it up!

Measure with the meter on the volts setting only, first.

Just don't run it up like you did the other day with the meter set on Amps.  Use a fat resistor as a load.

Note that the speed on the label of your power drill is not the speed it actually turns.  Usually slower, sometimes a lot slower.

Later, we might get into the subject of "lies my multimeter tells me" but for now, don't worry about that stuff and just enjoy!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

GreenTeam

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2020, 12:44:18 AM »
Spin it up!

Measure with the meter on the volts setting only, first.

Just don't run it up like you did the other day with the meter set on Amps.  Use a fat resistor as a load.

Note that the speed on the label of your power drill is not the speed it actually turns.  Usually slower, sometimes a lot slower.

Later, we might get into the subject of "lies my multimeter tells me" but for now, don't worry about that stuff and just enjoy!

Thank you for the advice! In the morning I shall spin it up

GreenTeam

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2020, 05:54:24 PM »
Allrighty! I found my ancient power drill can accept the little gennie axle where the drill bits go.
And I pulled the trigger, and the teensy axial flux hit a stable 10 Voilts. Now, at what RPM, I do not know because
I used a drill that appears to be made like last century lol.

Oh wait, I just read the model oif the drill, a BLack and Decker model 5726 and right at the edge is
RPM 1000....
so there I go, at 1000 RPM my little alternator produced 10 Volts.
Later on, when I can afford to, I want to buy an Iron Filament to 3d Print a slotted Stator for
these coils, and redo the alternator. And re-run the test.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2020, 10:30:34 PM »
Did you read what I wrote about the power drill? 
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

GreenTeam

« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2020, 12:39:57 AM »
Yes I did read about the dril. And I really doubt the drill I used can even get close to 1k RPM as it is almost twice my age lol.
It gets really hot really fast.

GreenTeam

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2020, 02:01:42 PM »
This concludes the end of first build.
I am taking all the lessons learned and applying them to another model

Lessons learned:
  1. Rotor size CANNOT be really small, I tried to pack to much into small of a diameter like I see in some made by the "pros"
  2. Stator thickness really does need to be quite thin if using 3mm thick magnets.
  3. the AWG of wire is very difficult to get right
  4. the mechanics of creating a uniform air gap is harder than it looks
  6. for small single stator designs, more than 6 coils is required

Future research areas:
  multi disc systems to continue energy densification ( shrinking them down )