Author Topic: Coil alignment  (Read 659 times)

GreenTeam

Coil alignment
« on: July 27, 2020, 06:18:08 PM »
In a 12 magnet rotor, there are magnets sperated by 30 degrees around the disc yes? And the 9 coils are than 40 degrees apart. Can you draw the lines on paper of a circle with lines at every 40 degrees and than use the space that looks like a slice of pie as the max coil size? Or are the coils skinny and centered on the 40 degree line?

Btw, the hard drive magnets have a N and a S on each end. And it be appears right down the middle is where the poles end.

MagnetJuice

Re: Coil alignment
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 07:02:28 PM »
IMO, something like this is a waste of time.

The other alternator that you started asking about, the one using the hoverboard motor magnets, could produce 120 watts if done right. We tried to help you with that.

If you want to build a nice little alternator and learn at the same time, you should stick to one project at the time instead of jumping all over the place.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

GreenTeam

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 10:55:03 PM »
I understand totally , I have a few projects on the go. Don't get me started on cold climate greenhouses though lol. I am just trying to understand the stator building.

GreenTeam

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 11:00:11 PM »
Well, before I continue on with the alternators from hoverboard teardown, I still need to know how wide i can wind my coils. Can I entirely fill one of the triangles by placing a coil in the middle of the slices of pie?  Or do I place them right on the degree marker?
And what ever project I work on, this knowledge is applicable. Oh and where I live I have loads of time as I am a victim of balogna virus shutdown  :(

MagnetJuice

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 11:21:11 PM »
 8)

MagnetJuice

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 12:13:09 AM »
By the way, this Forum is a repository of information for future generations.

Instead of creating a new topic to ask a question, it would be helpful if you keep questions related to a topic in the original topic.

If we keep questions and answers in the same topic, it will make it easier for users to follow and get useful information that is organized in a way that makes sense.

Thank you for understanding.

Ed

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 07:17:36 AM »
yes the coils should be shoulder to shoulder as laid out in your drawing, trapezoidal, takeing  the shape of a truncated cone as there will be no  magnet material in towards the center of the rotor,

kitestrings

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 09:23:41 AM »
Nice graphic.

Ed, Is there any value in the portion of the magnet that overlaps the inside portion of the coil?  I'd always thought not, which might suggest you would vertically center the magnet (at 12-o'clock), or use a slightly shorter magnet (or lengthen the coil legs).  This in turn would allow things to be a little tighter, right?

MagnetJuice

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 11:52:50 AM »
I am sorry for the confusion. Ignore the magnet length in that graphic.

I created that graphic very quickly just for illustrating the relationship between magnets and coils.

The magnet should pass over the section of the coil where the wire is perpendicular to the magnet. Voltage is not produced when the magnet passes over the wire that is parallel to the direction that the magnet is moving. Below is a clearer graphic.

kitestrings, thank you for making me aware of that.

Ed

klsmurf

• "Damn it Jim, I'm a carpenter, not an electrican"
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 06:23:17 PM »
Hey Green Team,

Post the link in your other thread, but here it is again. https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=147784.0

Hope it might help.

Kevin
" A man's got to know his limitations " ------ Harry Callahan