Remote Living > Transportation

personal vehicle comment

<< < (2/6) > >>

Scruff:

--- Quote from: SparWeb on September 15, 2020, 09:03:08 PM ---
It narrows down the field to only BEV's that have a thermal management system (seems to eliminate the Nissan Leaf for now). 

--- End quote ---

That's a shame. I heart Japese cars. ...something about being able to fix everything with 5 spanners.
afaik the Japanese are the only ones putting battery outlets on the charge connectors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Moderator mode: <Sparweb>
Scruff, I had to edit that just a little.  Having been called out on that stuff myself, long ago.

Scruff:
New project for you Sparweb... ;D

SparWeb:
Oooh yeah...
Dual Warp 9's on a 250V drive would burn rubber.

taylorp035:
I would of bought an electric vehicle by now (huge electric vehicle fan - shook Chelsea Sexton's hands at one of the first showings of 'Who Killed the Electric Car', and dreamed of making an electric car conversion before Tesla hit the scene), but it doesn't make financial sense for a car that can do my commute (100 miles, often times with several inches of snow on the ground, so the range needs to be a solid 200 miles on a nice warm day).  This is surprising since my electricity would be mostly free.   But when you factor in how much money you can make on a $40k investment per year, I can do better driving my 21 year old car from my grandma or my 21 year old sports car/race car.  If I had 5 daily drivers, then sure, but I don't have that much garage space and I'm too practical to get another car when I already have two good running cars, a classic car and a project car (note, I share all of these with a second person, who happens to have access to free car charging at the moment).

Maybe I'll get an electric car once a decent one comes down to $15k +/- $5k, but gas cars are still decently fun and I'm a diehard manual enthusiast.  Also with potential car pooling and working from home more often, the dollars just don't add up.

If gas prices per to triple to $5-7 / gallon (PA taxes area really trying with what I think are the highest in the USA now...) and I had to drive a lot more, then maybe.

SparWeb:
Cars always cost money so they will never stack up well against the return of an investment account.
I'm surprised about the daily commute you refer to: 200 miles?!  I take it that goes there and back again.  For your average US vehicle about 20 years old, then getting 20 mpg you need 10 gallons per trip and refill at least twice a week.  If you pay 3$ per gallon then it costs you 30 bucks a day or 8,000 per year to drive to work.  Unfortunately, I can't think of a hybrid that would make much of a dent in that consumption AND give you the range you need.  A Prius or Outlander PHEV doesn't go far on electric alone.  This is common in North America, myself included.  We have to optimize our living expenses, but at the cost of travel expenses.  I got what I needed and kept my commute below 70 miles round-trip.  An EV is possible for me, just barely, and a hybrid is more likely the right choice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version