Author Topic: WindTAC controller - practical experiences wanted  (Read 653 times)

Immanuel

WindTAC controller - practical experiences wanted
« on: September 26, 2020, 11:17:54 AM »
dear other-power wind community,

on a recent web-search for over-rpm and over-charge protection possebilities for diy-small wind turbines i found the WindTAC controller from Roy Rakobitsch (see his website: windsine.org).

For me this sounds like a feasible solution.

Does anybody of you already tried the windTAC-controller or a similar approach which works just with shorting the ac-wires (for over-rpm protection and over charge protection) instead of diverion load-controller + dumpload (just over-charge-protection)?

I´m interested in your experiences, comments, ideas(-:

With best regards from Berlin
Immanuel

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
Re: WindTAC controller - practical experiences wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 05:02:44 AM »
I have thought about a short circuit switch circuit for my 3 phase PMG's

I have 3off 12 footers, 3.7m diameter, to Hugh Piggotts design, had them up 10 years.

If they get out of balance, normally due to water getting into the blades somewhere, then i short it out before the Rectifier unit.  As Hugh Piggots short out switch type.

Shorting out like this is standard procedure.

My main concern using a short out circuit would be the parameters to be set in the circuit, to shut the turbine down, and when to start it up, and therefore also some sort of hysteresis, or else the turbine is constantly stopping and starting.

In the real world my 48v 1300ah battery bank is always changing, as loads come on and off, and clamping my wind turbines to the battery and then diversion control of excess voltage works reasonably well.

I also have 15kW of PV with 5kW on battery controllers these just keep the battery just right.  The other 10kW is just pure power coming back through the Inverter to the battery by using AC coupling.

Ac coupling is cheap way of having MPPT controllers feeding there best. I use second hand smallish, no bigger than 3kW LF GTI's, Grid Tied Inverters, that most folk around the World that take DC from PV on their roofs and feeds back to the Utilities Grid a AC voltage.  GTI's are just slaves, they need to see the AC grid at correct voltage and the correct frequency before they will start and run.
  Mine feed back through my OzInverter created Mini Grid and feed back to the batteries. Control is done with AC voltage rise and a sequential shut down, a Battery comparator circuit at each GTI that shuts down the AC when the batteries get to much.

And Diversion controllers that also regulate the battery state of charge and can dump excess, I have 4off Morningstar Tristar that can dump up to 8kW.  Tristar controllers are not expensive and i love them. One max's out/over dumps tells you its at alarm and the next steps in and so on.  10 years working extremely good value controller.

For me if this new windsine.org circuit will need to be very reliable, automatic fail safe, simple, robust, and most importantly Cost effective then i would be interested.

I pay about $230 for a Tristar PWM controller that can regulate my battery and dump excess up to about 2kW, it works and is very good.

Sadly, i see a lot of new things proposed on the renewable energy.  At first it looks good and messily works, but adding in other folks components soon puts the overall cost to a NON cost effective level.

Perhaps if Roy Rakobitsch was to come and do a post on this forum then i would even chip in where appropriate.

I wish the new circuit well, and look forward to seeing and reading the progress.

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: WindTAC controller - practical experiences wanted
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 12:48:52 AM »
I'd like to hear from Electronbaby about this, too!

I don't have experience using the WindTAC controller, but I have a Tristar controller that diverts excess wind energy to a resistor bank. 
I also have a manually-operated shorting switch to shut down the turbine if I need it.  I don't often use the shorting switch any more.  For a very long time I have watched my machine and the furling protects it so well that I rely on that mostly.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca