Miscellaneous > Fabrication

12" Lathe

(1/12) > >>

SparWeb:
Hi,
I thought I'd share a few pictures of the 12x36 lathe I bought recently.  I'm still fixing it up and tuning it, so there will probably be more things to add as I go.

Loaded on the trailer.  It was obvious that removing the lathe from the bench would be a lot of trouble and probably not worth it.  So it's strapped on carefully to prevent any overturning.  And I drove home realllllly slowly.

Having a tilt-bed trailer allowed it to just roll off and it was easily parked in position.

Now that it's arrived and I've looked it over, I came up with a list of things I wanted to add or deal with before really settling it in place.
- Backsplash to protect the wall
- control buttons needed to be replaced
- starting control lever was twitchy
- chip tray
- Tachometer

I've mostly dealt with these things, now.  I like how it runs and I've already done some test cuts, made a few parts just to see if there are any oddities in its behaviour.  So far it's great, with only one complaint: the relay that starts it in the forward direction will stick ON after the control lever is set to Off.  After a few seconds the relay lets go, but it's pretty annoying to stand there when you just want it to stop.

Still working on that.

SparWeb:
I could add that I've already attached the tachometer, too.
The photo was taken on the first set-up just to see what worked, so things are still held together with tape.
I'm going to try a different power supply because the power from the lathe seems to ripple or drop out, and the poor tach shuts down from time to time.

bigrockcandymountain:
Wow that is fun. I have been looking at lathes for a couple years. 

That is a beauty.  It looks like it does imperial and metric threads.  And a decent size spindle bore for long stuff.  You are going to have lots of fun with it. 

12" would turn a rotor for a huge motor conversion.  Probably 30hp or more. Just saying...

mbouwer:
Very nice lathe.
I am sure we will also see that reflected in your creativity.

Scruff:
Blimey SparWeb!

Someday I hope I have a workshop that shiney if I didn't just whack a table in the middle of it and start the first project I can reach.
Can I call around next week to borrow a trolley jack?  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version