Author Topic: Miller 400d welder not generating  (Read 3779 times)

bigrockcandymountain

Miller 400d welder not generating
« on: December 14, 2020, 09:50:25 PM »
So i finally took the plunge and bought a used Miller 400d welder.  It was listed with 9500hrs, so i bid accordingly, and won.  I got it home and it only has 3900hrs.  Yay me.

It was -17c and i thought what the heck.  See if it runs.  It fired right up first try and runs nice and smooth.  It welds perfect.  Yay woo again.

I plugged in the angle grinder...nothing.  crap i bought this half for the awesome 15kw 3 phase / single phase generator and it doesn't work.  It is looking like it is the main control board.  I'll be taking it off in the next few days and then begging for advice.  13628-0

MagnetJuice

Re: Miller 400d welder not generating
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 01:11:24 AM »
I assume that you already tried to reset the receptacle supplementary protectors and the GFCI receptacle.

Do you have a Manual for it?

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 05:43:14 AM »
Yes i checked the gfci and circuit breakers.  I tested the leads that come out of the stator to the 3 phase terminals and no power there either.

I have an owners manual and parts manual but no service manual. 

I also checked the brushes and they are good. 

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 08:50:19 AM »
I might have the wrong style , but wasn't that one of those types that if sat too long needed the genset externally excited to get it back to seeing a field ? Kinda like to old car generators?

I could be way way off, but something is tickling the back of my brain about that generator part of this .

Nice find!!

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

MagnetJuice

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 02:09:43 PM »
I found 2 user's manuals for that welder. One has 98 pages with clear schematics of the electrical circuits.

Let me know if you need this manual.

Ed

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 05:40:37 PM »
Magnetjuice i actually found those too.  The wiring diagram was a big help.  I put the board back together and in and hooked up a plug that didn't really look like it was hooked up recently and now it works.  So now I'm not sure if i just didn't test well enough the other day or if what i did today fixed it.  Oh well, i guess it doesn't matter too much.

It still doesn't have power to the 120v gfci, but i traced that back to a switch/circuit breaker that is easy to replace but $120 :o  The 50a 240v tests good and ran my angle grinder when i touched it between L1 and neutral.  The 3 phase tests good too, but i didn't try it. 

I'm feeling a little silly for asking for help before trying a little harder.  Thanks everyone for the help anyway.

Derek

Scruff

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 06:47:29 PM »
i traced that back to a switch/circuit breaker that is easy to replace but $120 :o 

Hi Big Rock, that sounds double the standard price. Maybe shop around, if it's a standard GFI is ought to be less. Some manufacturers charge a lot for their name. Siemens come to mind...

MagnetJuice

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 09:05:17 PM »
If the circuit breaker is the one labeled CB2 on the schematic, it would be this one;

13633-0

That is part number 093996. Many places sell it in the US. I don't know about Canada.

Ed

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 01:10:22 AM »
Nice! 

I've had the same experience - went asking for help when actually a good night's sleep and a bit more poking around would let me find the answer anyway.

You won't need to haul the turbine and tower back to the shop any more, will you?

400Amps in TIG...  holy cow.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 06:26:41 AM »
It is CB1 in the schematic.  Part number  201083. 

I made an offer on one on Ebay. We'll see how that goes. 

400Amps in TIG...  holy cow.

It is WAY more welder than i need, but it's going to be a ton of fun.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 02:16:50 PM »
I think that just formulating the question helps the answer emerge in your head.

In IT / programming this is "rubber ducking" or "cardboard cutout programming"!

Rgds

Damon

PS. Didn't seem like a silly question to me anyway.  Better to ask and avoid a bad outcome!
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Scruff

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 04:20:02 PM »
Organic CPU sharing I callit...aka the Hive mind. There's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Even computers are doing it these days.

400A  :o blimey, I dunno if I'd have enough lucky underpants for that craic.
Is she water cooled?

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 06:50:25 PM »
Nope it's a deutz air cooled diesel.  I like vw diesel engines.  Hopefully this German is a good one too. Of course i will have to buy a few 1/4" welding rods and see what 400a looks like. 

I usually annoy my wife with my ponderings.  We had baby #3 a couple weeks ago so she isn't quite as happy to listen to my constant droning on about circuits.  Something about being up all night i expect.

Scruff

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 07:13:14 PM »
I knew I asked that wrong...I meant is the TIG torch water cooled?

The prime mover is air cooled?!  :o Wow-wee I havenay seen a machine like that!
[Ah I just checked the listing she's a 6kVA....looks like a 40kVA in the pic..arah yersh I've spied some air-cooled listers alright]

Santa's bringing me a Esab Rogue 180 inverter jobber for "generator testing". Walk before you can run eh.... ;D

Well wear!

I like vw diesel engines.