Homebrewed Electricity > Other

Miller 400d welder not generating

(1/4) > >>

bigrockcandymountain:
So i finally took the plunge and bought a used Miller 400d welder.  It was listed with 9500hrs, so i bid accordingly, and won.  I got it home and it only has 3900hrs.  Yay me.

It was -17c and i thought what the heck.  See if it runs.  It fired right up first try and runs nice and smooth.  It welds perfect.  Yay woo again.

I plugged in the angle grinder...nothing.  crap i bought this half for the awesome 15kw 3 phase / single phase generator and it doesn't work.  It is looking like it is the main control board.  I'll be taking it off in the next few days and then begging for advice. 

MagnetJuice:
I assume that you already tried to reset the receptacle supplementary protectors and the GFCI receptacle.

Do you have a Manual for it?

Ed

bigrockcandymountain:
Yes i checked the gfci and circuit breakers.  I tested the leads that come out of the stator to the 3 phase terminals and no power there either.

I have an owners manual and parts manual but no service manual. 

I also checked the brushes and they are good. 

Bruce S:
I might have the wrong style , but wasn't that one of those types that if sat too long needed the genset externally excited to get it back to seeing a field ? Kinda like to old car generators?

I could be way way off, but something is tickling the back of my brain about that generator part of this .

Nice find!!

Bruce S

MagnetJuice:
I found 2 user's manuals for that welder. One has 98 pages with clear schematics of the electrical circuits.

Let me know if you need this manual.

Ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version