Author Topic: ipanda x-plorer mppt input voltage/tracking issue  (Read 1173 times)

fabieville

ipanda x-plorer mppt input voltage/tracking issue
« on: December 15, 2020, 09:42:25 AM »
I have a ipanda x-plorer mppt 60A. I notice that it has a input/tracking voltage issue.
I have (2) 24v 320watt panels in series giving me around 70volts on my input and i am charging a 24v SLA battery.

In full sun my input keeps on fluctuating between 50 to 60+ voltage at a fast pace and sometimes it drops to as low as 28volts and stays there for a very longtime before it goes back to fluctuating between 50 to 60+ voltage in full sun.

Is there a way to solve this issue by updating/flashing the firmware of the controller. If yes could you send me the file to update it or what else can i do?
I await your response anxiously. I really love this controller but the voltage issue is giving me a hard time . I am losing out on a lot of wattage most of the times due to the fact that the input voltage is not steady and keeps on running up on down even thou i am getting a steady full sunshine with no shading effect.

If i put a big 100v 15000uf Capacitor on the input would that solve the voltage sagging issue?
it appears to have a tracking issue within the firmware.

OperaHouse

Re: ipanda x-plorer mppt input voltage/tracking issue
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 02:33:42 PM »
Solar panels have bypass diodes about every 10V.  In a partial shading situation it can look in the vicinity of a lower voltage.  It will only look for small changes around that and not search the whole range.  Many manuals tell you best to use no more than 2X battery voltage for best performance.  I just bought a broken controller and it says not to use over 36V power point on a 12V battery.  and 72V on a 24V battery even though it is rated for 100V.   I use a 60V array on 12V and I have a controller that gets lost to in the low 20's.  I built a control system that senses when voltage drops below 40V for more than 50 seconds.  If it does, it disconnects solar for 5 seconds.  Then it finds its way back to the upper 50's. What can you say, $#|+ programming.   Panels are their own current limiters, this is their protection.  Adding a capacitor can increase current surges way beyond what the controller FET can take. Personally I don't care if a controller burns up. I run a capacitor bank of about 8,000uf on the panels for my water heater controller. That can efficiently divert any extra power to heat water be it 5W or 500W.   In the testing I have done it doesn't seem to help or hurt the tracking. I can not advise you to do this.