CAD

(1/7) > >>

JW:
Hi all,

Wanted to add CAD topic,

heres a quick picture

Will update

SparWeb:
That's a topic that triggers my attention.

I have about 15,000 hours experience in AutoCAD, starting in R13 in the 1990's and continuing to this day with the latest and (somewhat) greatest.

There is still so much that can be expressed and created with a 2D drawing.  Skill is being lost, and certainly is respected less and less.  I still do drawings as if they will be printed on paper. Below, the drawing was done with the "large format" paper layou, where a large number of views are placed on the same large sheet space.  It's intended to be printed on a paper at least 3 or 4 feet across, and convey the big picture of a complete assembly process in one place.  This is very different from today's preferred design methods which attempt to describe a design or a work instruction with miniscule step-by-step instructions.  I don't like treating the workers who use my designs like idiots, even though some have a way of insisting on being so.

I'm also pretty adept with Autodesk Inventor, having taken advanced modeling courses and then used it for many years at work.  Eventually I was pushing the software in ways that even got Autodesk's attention but they really weren't interested in supporting what I was trying to do.  I wanted to use Inventor like OEM's use Catia, but Inventor isn't really designed for that.  But I was satisfied that I really was getting my money's worth out of what I had been taught and a rather expensive piece of software.  Recently I've experimented with online CAD services like Onshape and found a very powerful system there, too.

My current workplace really only uses Solidworks, and just barely so.  I definitely can't use SW at the level that I used Inventor, partly because I don't use SW often enough to get the hang of it, and partly because SW won't do everything I could do with Inventor.  Part of the difference is actually the features package with each one.  If you compare the Premium version of one with the bare-bones version of another, the contest isn't fair.

clockmanFRA:
Well i tried to post here some drawings and finished products as i use TURBOCAD but my post does not go on. ?

clockmanFRA:
Interesting subject.

I first starting using CAD around 1988 as my constructions got more and more complicated.

I use TURBOcad and its at version 14 now.   I did think about AUTOCAD but it was never a straight transition.

What i find great with CAD is the transfer of exact dimensions to reality, especially making a new design of a Watch for instance.

Where in the old days of a big drawing board and pencil, and later finding out when scaled up or down if the 0.3mm dimension line is drawn so the centre is exact or not.

Transferring a CAD drawing to a building design is not much of an issue.

I draw in 3rd angle projection that is how i was trained all those years ago.

My Latest CAD has 3 dimension transfer and draw, but i really don't need that, as i tend to operate with folk that can understand a standard engineering drawing.

Nowadays i do take liberties by encompassing sections, and different scale snapshots all on one drawing, rather than a multitude of separate drawings.

Below is some of my drawings starting with a screen shot of my present CAD on a building here about to get restored internally.  Other drawings are some of my Clocks and watches from design to finish product.

clockmanFRA:
A clock design of mine for the Nation. this one of several drawings sent around the World to makers so that they could make individual bits they were happy with. Parts came back to the UK and assembled and then 2 clocks presented to the Queen and the Nation.

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version