Author Topic: Cad model?  (Read 3484 times)

GreenTeam

Cad model?
« on: January 08, 2021, 07:36:18 AM »
Can anyone create me a cad model that I can make a .stl from for me?
I am just to far behind the curve to try and learn fusion360, and any other program
They just infuruate me insanely
And, I leaned CST lol, says alot
Anyhoo, I have emailed the creators of this mini turbine, it puts out something like 5 watts,
its single phase 8 coils dual rotor. Its from a thesis paper about studying micro wind turbine feasibility,
And, it is what I always wanted to build for a fun project, than I got carried away.......

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Cad model?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 10:31:59 PM »
Hi GreenTeam,
I understand why you're asking, but there are plenty of people that you can reach on the internet who specialize in doing this for a living.  To do it for you for free takes food out of other peoples' mouths.  There look to be a lot of parts and you've been very prolific so far.  I don't want to put a drag on your creativity.  A project like the one in your picture could take about a week to prepare.  If you aren't doing it yourself, then put someone who has invested time and money in developing that professional skill with expensive software to work.  They probably need it.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

GreenTeam

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 08:31:51 AM »
I think I understand now. It's alot more to it than I originally thought there would be. I don't know anything about cad really. I only just discovered tinkercad a month and a half ago. Maybe if the price is decent , I would consider paying to have this micro model replicated. Until than , I'll try to hack it out on tinkercad. Eevry time I try fusion360 I get frustrated at how many mouse clicks I have to do. And I can't even just make a simple cylinder. And the tutorials are $#|+e so to say lol. But, I really wanna use fusion360 , but I can't seem to find any good walk through tutorials online. Itseems to me , that I am missing a really important part to using fusion360 :( And I don't know what it is either. It's just what I watch on youtube, I can't seem to do on my own machine.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 08:07:57 PM »
My experience was to learn in 2D and get good at that before tackling 3D.  I know I know, what fool I was...
But there are lots of 2D CAD packages.
https://www.bricsys.com/en-intl/
https://www.turbocad.com/content/free-trials

Also... and I mean this in the kindest way... the stuff you're usually printing could be drawn in 2D anyway...  ...which is actually true of 90% of the 3D printed stuff I see on display anyway.  The whole idea that you have to model in 3D to get the 3D shape is not really true.  If your so-called 3D thing is just two 2D shapes stacked on each other, then come-on, tell me another one.

Long-term thinking, if you give yourself some time to pick up some CAD tricks, even in 2D, you will discover yourself thinking more creatively and constructively about ways to make things on the makerbot that you would never have come up with before.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 08:33:04 PM »
I have worked this process myself. When I started to use CAD I went with Solidworks 1999 and 2000 3D. I absolutely love SW 2000 when I initially selected this software it was because it was the easiest to use. I still love it... I have a computer that I have successfully installed Windows 2000 on today. At the time I used it, I had Windows NT, and subsequently  became a NT administrator.

I have been trying like hell to get a graphics card for it. I will succeed eventually... The older software is much easier to use but nearly impossible to get now a days.

A few years ago I upgraded to to SW 2016, I can use it, but barely as much, it is harder to use than 2000. But im sticking with it and use a windows 10 PC. I also have a rare instructional book for 2016 so that helps.

Its like the forum here me and Flavio go back and forth with server applications. We both agree what we have now is the best option for us.

CAD software is just as touchy if you can get with a OEM for a test drive its the best way thats what I did with SW.     

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 08:50:15 PM »
Just as a aside, back in 2000 between the PC and solidworks software it cost about 9 grand... When I upgraded to SW 2016 they gave me a better deal because I already had a "seat" and it was much cheaper but between the PC and stuff it was still around 7 grand.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 10:01:58 PM »
I finally got all the hackers out of my computer and its clean. Just did a fresh re-install everything worked as it should.

13764-0

13765-1

when I work with this stuff it reminds me of Flux, he passed away from cancer a few years ago.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 11:58:04 AM »
I have worked this process myself. When I started to use CAD I went with Solidworks 1999 and 2000 3D. I absolutely love SW 2000 when I initially selected this software it was because it was the easiest to use. I still love it... I have a computer that I have successfully installed Windows 2000 on today. At the time I used it, I had Windows NT, and subsequently  became a NT administrator.

I have been trying like hell to get a graphics card for it. I will succeed eventually... The older software is much easier to use but nearly impossible to get now a days.

A few years ago I upgraded to to SW 2016, I can use it, but barely as much, it is harder to use than 2000. But im sticking with it and use a windows 10 PC. I also have a rare instructional book for 2016 so that helps.

Its like the forum here me and Flavio go back and forth with server applications. We both agree what we have now is the best option for us.

CAD software is just as touchy if you can get with a OEM for a test drive its the best way thats what I did with SW.   

What flavor of graphics interface? I can check my graphic card pile from old machines... It has shrunk but I still have 4 or 5... I keep them around to repair friends computers that lose on board video.

MattM

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 09:03:52 AM »
Can you just run it under emulation and setup a virtual VESA card?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 10:06:43 AM »
That could be rather slow, Matt.  Anything virtual gets simulated by software on the microprocessor, not on the GPU.
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 02:53:27 PM »
Hi Mary

I have a Dell OPTIPLEX 745

13773-0

13774-1

Heres what they keep sending me

13775-2

There is a OPTIPLEX that uses the 3in graphics card but its not my model I need the 4in card.

MattM

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 07:34:03 PM »
No, you have the right card just the wrong backplate :)

Honestly you can fashion one or re-purpose the one you have by bending the tab out of your way.  Better manufacturers of base model graphics cards supplied both plates for AGP users.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 01:09:23 PM »
Hi Mary

I have a Dell OPTIPLEX 745

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Heres what they keep sending me

(Attachment Link)

There is a OPTIPLEX that uses the 3in graphics card but its not my model I need the 4in card.

It would be a Dell... I scrapped that one 3 years ago, nobody around here uses them. Had that EXACT model!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 01:13:55 PM »
No, you have the right card just the wrong backplate :)

Honestly you can fashion one or re-purpose the one you have by bending the tab out of your way.  Better manufacturers of base model graphics cards supplied both plates for AGP users.

Just take it off and leave it off, be VERY careful plugging in the monitor and do not move the computer or monitor while it is running. Rn a vid card that way in a friends computer for years

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 08:23:17 PM »
Darnit, have we all used an Optiplex at one time or another??
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 08:32:40 AM »
I'm using a 780 for my home media center. Has an ATI card for dual screen abilities. Even runs Win10 when I need it to.

Let me know too if you need one of these cards, I have ~ 6 left.
Even the Dell drivers are still available.

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 07:41:59 PM »
I received my 780 today and intend to run windows 2000 on it for my cad software that I want to use. Im waiting for my two graphics cards and hope they work out. If they don't I might  get one from you.

The 745 I successfully installed win 2000 on it. I'm waiting for a XP software to arrive in the next day or two. I intend to load XP back on it and have the thing run windows 10 I have the CD for that now.

My office computer was win 7 and successfully loaded win 10 on it I have the master CD for 10. It cost about $150 for it. It took over an hour to load win 10.

Can you go to win 10 from XP     

MattM

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 09:46:31 PM »
"Can you go to win 10 from XP "?

yes

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 10:16:39 PM »
Sorry about the mess.

OK she's up an running.

13807-0

13808-1

I love this program I spent years using it and know how to get all the features to work. As its so old didnt think I would get it back. this setup is way better that when I used it back in the day.

GreenTeam

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2021, 03:30:13 AM »
If you still require a agp card that runs under win2k , I can send you one. I am pretty sure any 8x agp 32 MB vid card will work. Unless you require an actual workstation card, which I am sure I got some older quadro vid cards collecting dust. Just let me know

MattM

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2021, 07:13:19 AM »
Virtual machines are easier than scavenging hardware.

You might try one.  Reports of being slow are exaggerated.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2021, 09:18:18 PM »
Im doing good with my CAD software "overall"  I was hoping to get the SW 2000 up by now, I had it there for a day or two. One problem the aspect ratio was off vertical to horizontal. Im not sure if this an inherent problem running SW 2000 on XP or from the graphics card. I was using VGA but want to try it with HDMI. Nevertheless I now need the dell drivers be cause I cant get it to pickup the hard drive. Im very lucky to have my office hardware up running I couldn't write checks and make printed estimates. (there two separate programs)

Ok here's one to the spirit of the fabrication section  ;D

13958-0

Here's the graphics card

13959-1

Room and monitors-

13960-2

13961-3

Im running a tube amp with Klipsch KLF 30 rocking out. I'm lucky I can jam my system all night and no one hears it  ;D

Heres my stuff with SW 2016 fully operational  ;D

13962-4

13963-5

I had a problem running the SW on XP the aspect ratio was off, using VGA I want to try HDMI to see if it fixes that.

13964-6