Author Topic: Kong (Italy) Frogs  (Read 4932 times)

kitestrings

Kong (Italy) Frogs
« on: January 17, 2021, 04:43:04 PM »
Sometimes you stumble on a tool or something that is a real gem.  This has become one of my recent favorites.  These are called "Frogs".  They are basically an alternative to a carabiner.  They lock on by just pushing into the open jaw, but then require that both sides be pulled together to release.  They have a very positive action, and don't require the same dexterity as locking 'biners to operate. So if you have gloves and cold hands they are great.  Rated for about 5k lbs.   
13784-0
13785-1
13786-2
13787-3

richhagen

Re: Kong (Italy) Frogs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 01:56:18 PM »
Looks interesting for rigging things up.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

kitestrings

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 07:20:00 PM »
I just discover one limitation.  That is, while they are designed to clip into metallic clips and anchors up to 12.7 mm dia., they do not recommend connecting directly to rope.  They are perfect for fastening into the rungs of a guyed tower, which is why I like them.

They also don't recommend working loads over 1/4 of the device rating, but this may be typical of other comparable devices.  Still very quick, easy and useful.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 03:37:16 PM »
23 kN through one 1/8" rivet in the hinge?  I don't get it.
It has all the right labels...
Fall arrest requires energy absorption.  While parts of this "karabiner" can distort in a way that absorbs energy, they don't seem to distort very far before they open.  Especially that tiny rivet.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

kitestrings

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 05:39:54 PM »
I wonder if the rating takes into account the three rivets.  In a fall arrest that may be what happens.  You pretty much can't open it under any sort of load, and the outer rivets are in contact with those little curves when it is in the locked/closed position.

The mechanism itself is fascinating.  They use a single, continuous wound spring, that shifts to latch it open.  I wish I'd thought of this - it's very clever.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 12:06:41 AM »
I'd love to see the ultimate load test that won this device its BS-EN12275 rating. 
Should look up the patent - it might shed some light on how it can survive 23kN.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca