Author Topic: Motorbike stator winding done wrong?  (Read 19716 times)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Motorbike stator winding done wrong?
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2021, 10:09:56 PM »

TechAdmin

« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2021, 10:13:22 PM »
This is far, far beyond my comprehension in my current state, and would most likely be extremely challenging even under normal circumstances :(
What I do gather is that apparently AC voltage needs even higher voltage to display a certain average value, which would make things a lot worse in fact. However, the manual never considers this aspect either, so I would assume it's taken into consideration with the "expected" values...

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2021, 10:16:39 PM »
Your measuring peak voltage thats why the voltage numbers are higher

TechAdmin

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2021, 10:27:26 PM »
That's what the manual is telling me to do though, on page 611.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2021, 10:37:48 PM »
https://www.evaluationengineering.com/home/article/13004000/making-accurate-rms-measurements-with-a-dmm

There not going to specify that you should be measure RMS in the manual its assumed. 

Find a meter like the one in the link and re take your measurements.

Heres a DMM that does that measurement and its an open circuit measurement so the regulator is out of the picture

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluke-Fluke-110-Plus-True-RMS-Clamp-Meter-Digital-600-Volt-Test-Meter/999970842?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-elc-_-google-_-lia-_-106-_-electricaltoolsandtesters-_-999970842-_-0&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&ds_a_cid=112741100&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrsGCBhD1ARIsALILBYqz4TbIs6ScUgeJr_BDVBRJ-4nqvWXB-2OO3Lhkm9ql3y1mXeUibwsaAm6rEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Heres a cheaper one

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-ID-1000-Volt-Auto-Range-Multimeter/5000045537

Provides True RMS AC voltage and current for accurate measurements on non-linear signals

TechAdmin

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2021, 11:28:57 PM »
I think you're just overcomplicating things on this one, I'm checking videos everywhere on YT and everyone is using meters that are even more basic than the one I have and getting about half the voltages I'm getting. The manual says to test the way I did, and I'm not going to buy a FOURTH meter to test even more stuff.

Stator is outputting too high voltage and none of the regulators could handle it, that's what I get from all this and it was what I was suspecting from the first post. I'll call the guy who rewound it later today.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2021, 11:38:58 PM »
I need to catch up with everyone.  I have some thoughts.  Maybe not too important, but I hope every bit helps.

Mary B: Wire size looks close to the same... but that new stator has 3 extra turns per coil if my count is accurate!

mab: The stator does look like 3 extra turns on the top layer, but I wonder if that's just to compensate for fewer turns than original on the lower layers? Hard to tell.
In theory if there are extra turns that should raise the open cct voltage but actually reduce the maximum current I think.
I can't think a few turns difference would affect the regulator that badly - it ought to work over part of the rev range and only lose it at the top end. I don't believe the phase sequence could matter, and if one phase was wired the wrong way (e.g. trident rather than star) it ought to have shown up on the voltage tests.

I see more turns on the outside, too.  This which implies there are more turns on the INNER layers, too.  There could be a lot more turns on these stator poles than the original.  It's enough to convince me that the stator will produce a much higher voltage at any speed.

TechAdmin: The stator honestly looks well done, the guy has been doing it for a very long time... I'm... Clueless.

Quality work, done to the wrong spec, maybe.

Bruce S: ... can't go back and re-read if you replied with the Specs of the regulator. Could you post those PLZ, if the stator is now outputting too high a voltage, it'll throw the regulator all out of whack.

Bruce, it would be best if you re-read the whole thread.  Flavio posted it all, twice actually.

TechAdmin On page 611 it shows the values that the stator should have...  It says 46V or higher at 4000rpm, I was over 60V at 3000rpm, I did post a video about...
Here: https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,150320.msg1054920.html#msg1054920

That matches my count of the turns.  50% more turns is 50% more voltage.

TechAdmin Expected resistance 0.1-0.2, I actually have 0.5-0.6 ohms, much higher.
EDIT: yes, seems higher than originally measured in the first post, this multimeter is probably more accurate (costs about twice as the other one, it's twice as big and has more stuff).
Regulator specs are nowhere to be found, not a single manufacturer releases those.

You got me there.  Using two meters for very low resistances like that, the resistance in your test leads could be changing the results too much.  Let's say those numbers aren't unreasonable (the right order of magnitude) but can't judge more than that.

JW: Use the RMS feature on your meter,

Unfortunately, I don't think your meter can calculate True Root-Mean-Square, which is what "true RMS" means.  In layman's terms, "RMS" means an average that doesn't get messed up by negative voltage.  And "true RMS" means the meter doesn't get fooled by crooked waveforms or very high/low frequencies.  But your meter doesn't do that so it's a moot point.
What is important, and JW was pointing it out too, is that you tested your old stator with your old meter and you tested the new stator with your new meter.  So again, the numbers won't necessarily match because maybe the old meter was reading too low for some reason, and you won't know it.  I still think it's worth checking against your maintenance manual (which you have).  In a way, having a true RMS meter would help but you can (and have) diagnosed this without that.

OK.  Thanks for bearing with me as I went through that.  I needed my own chance to consider the testing you've done so far and what you've learned.

Now finally something to add.  All semiconductors have limits to what they can tolerate.  The most important limits are current, temperature, and voltage.  Actually, current and temperature are almost the same, because current causes heating, of course.  I list them separately because you can cause a semiconductor to fail in a hot environment with low current, and vice-versa.  The other thing that kills semiconductors is voltage.  There is a limit to the "pressure" they can tolerate before the bonds between the material layers "blow up".

The tolerance of semiconductors to high current is fairly good - they can take an overcurrent for a while.  You can get away with passing 15 Amps through a 10 Amp rated diode if you keep it cool and the voltage is low and there aren't any spikes.  For a while, though not forever.  Tolerance of temperature is less tough, especially if current and heat are combined.  Tolerance of too much voltage they don't have at all.  Take a diode rated for 100V and give it 150V and the magic smoke gets out real quick.  That's what could have happened to your regulator.  Its diodes are rated for the highest voltage the stator is "supposed" to generate if it's open-circuit with no battery on a typical Ninja bike.  Let's guess that voltage is 100V and the regulator can't regulate that without the battery.  If your stator peaks at 150V when the motor is redlined, that would easily explain the dead regulator.

Your choice to talk to the person who rewound the stator seems to be the right thing to do, now.  They did good work, so they may be equipped to do a re-wind without too much trouble.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

TechAdmin

« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2021, 11:58:42 PM »
I need to catch up with everyone.  I have some thoughts.  Maybe not too important, but I hope every bit helps.
It does, my friend, every bit does.
Mary B: Wire size looks close to the same... but that new stator has 3 extra turns per coil if my count is accurate!

mab: The stator does look like 3 extra turns on the top layer, but I wonder if that's just to compensate for fewer turns than original on the lower layers? Hard to tell.
In theory if there are extra turns that should raise the open cct voltage but actually reduce the maximum current I think.
I can't think a few turns difference would affect the regulator that badly - it ought to work over part of the rev range and only lose it at the top end. I don't believe the phase sequence could matter, and if one phase was wired the wrong way (e.g. trident rather than star) it ought to have shown up on the voltage tests.

I see more turns on the outside, too.  This which implies there are more turns on the INNER layers, too.  There could be a lot more turns on these stator poles than the original.  It's enough to convince me that the stator will produce a much higher voltage at any speed.
And the results seem to confirm this theory. It would *all* start to make sense if this was the case.
TechAdmin: The stator honestly looks well done, the guy has been doing it for a very long time... I'm... Clueless.

Quality work, done to the wrong spec, maybe.
No idea why he did it this way then... The task is to "refurbish" it basically, not change its specifications.
Bruce S: ... can't go back and re-read if you replied with the Specs of the regulator. Could you post those PLZ, if the stator is now outputting too high a voltage, it'll throw the regulator all out of whack.

Bruce, it would be best if you re-read the whole thread.  Flavio posted it all, twice actually.
Yeah but I also understand if people don't have enough time to read through all of it, we're approaching a hundred posts actually past 100 posts... I was expecting a few posts before something along the lines of "Ha, I'm dumb, thanks for pointing X out", but turned out to be hell.
TechAdmin On page 611 it shows the values that the stator should have...  It says 46V or higher at 4000rpm, I was over 60V at 3000rpm, I did post a video about...
Here: https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,150320.msg1054920.html#msg1054920

That matches my count of the turns.  50% more turns is 50% more voltage.
As above... It would make sense...
TechAdmin Expected resistance 0.1-0.2, I actually have 0.5-0.6 ohms, much higher.
EDIT: yes, seems higher than originally measured in the first post, this multimeter is probably more accurate (costs about twice as the other one, it's twice as big and has more stuff).
Regulator specs are nowhere to be found, not a single manufacturer releases those.

You got me there.  Using two meters for very low resistances like that, the resistance in your test leads could be changing the results too much.  Let's say those numbers aren't unreasonable (the right order of magnitude) but can't judge more than that.
I never tested the old stator values, it was just visually so badly burnt that I didn't bother checking anything with it (resistance or voltage), I also had severe oil leak from the gasket so I was technically unable to do so even if I wanted to.
The values I gave for reference are from the workshop manual I attached to the thread :)

I simply re-tested the resistance on the new stator, cheaper multimeter gave 0.5 that went to 0.4, whereas the more professional reader gave 0.6 to 0.5 sitting more on the 0.6.
JW: Use the RMS feature on your meter,

Unfortunately, I don't think your meter can calculate True Root-Mean-Square, which is what "true RMS" means.  In layman's terms, "RMS" means an average that doesn't get messed up by negative voltage.  And "true RMS" means the meter doesn't get fooled by crooked waveforms or very high/low frequencies.  But your meter doesn't do that so it's a moot point.
What is important, and JW was pointing it out too, is that you tested your old stator with your old meter and you tested the new stator with your new meter.  So again, the numbers won't necessarily match because maybe the old meter was reading too low for some reason, and you won't know it.  I still think it's worth checking against your maintenance manual (which you have).  In a way, having a true RMS meter would help but you can (and have) diagnosed this without that.

OK.  Thanks for bearing with me as I went through that.  I needed my own chance to consider the testing you've done so far and what you've learned.

Now finally something to add.  All semiconductors have limits to what they can tolerate.  The most important limits are current, temperature, and voltage.  Actually, current and temperature are almost the same, because current causes heating, of course.  I list them separately because you can cause a semiconductor to fail in a hot environment with low current, and vice-versa.  The other thing that kills semiconductors is voltage.  There is a limit to the "pressure" they can tolerate before the bonds between the material layers "blow up".

The tolerance of semiconductors to high current is fairly good - they can take an overcurrent for a while.  You can get away with passing 15 Amps through a 10 Amp rated diode if you keep it cool and the voltage is low and there aren't any spikes.  For a while, though not forever.  Tolerance of temperature is less tough, especially if current and heat are combined.  Tolerance of too much voltage they don't have at all.  Take a diode rated for 100V and give it 150V and the magic smoke gets out real quick.  That's what could have happened to your regulator.  Its diodes are rated for the highest voltage the stator is "supposed" to generate if it's open-circuit with no battery on a typical Ninja bike.  Let's guess that voltage is 100V and the regulator can't regulate that without the battery.  If your stator peaks at 150V when the motor is redlined, that would easily explain the dead regulator.
Oof, even though this is already a bit more clear than the article... Or at least, a bit more understandable for me.
Your choice to talk to the person who rewound the stator seems to be the right thing to do, now.  They did good work, so they may be equipped to do a re-wind without too much trouble.
Yeah they will be, I do have warranty and I had talked to him previously. It's just I'm worried he could do the same exact thing again you know, because technically the stator is fine, it does output current, just too damn much of it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 12:22:38 AM by TechAdmin »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2021, 10:20:45 AM »
TechAdmin;
Easiest way to figure RMS is take your output voltage and Multiply it by 0.707  :D. I can't afford a true RMS Fluke either  ;)
IF you're reading 60Vac (Time stamp of 27sec on first Video) then output at 3000RPM = 42.42Vac going into Regulator, once you rev the bike up to 4000RPM you're at 80Vac or 56Vac going into the regulator. Which is at least 6 volts above any Motor regulator I've ever worked on!!
This means it's going into over voltage shutdown. My guess is that at idle it might be reading okay, but once you rev it up. Over-voltage shutdown and so on

Hope this helps

Bruce S
PS>>> I'm still playing catch up on both the RAID 5 hardware Cascade issue and the earlier posts.
I'll be back once I can sit down with a tall Glenfiddich neat, and sort through the rest.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

TechAdmin

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2021, 10:30:13 AM »
It does check out, margin of error is then only a bit less but it's still well beyond specifications and unserviceable :( Especially given that my engine revs over 13k rpm, if I try that I fry the whole thing... Glad I didn't.

Thanks for your input! The thread has been linked to the guys who rewound the stator (so don't move it anywhere please :D)

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2021, 03:02:50 PM »
Hmm been watching this topic.

In my day ie, when i was young and foolish we were always desperate for decent voltage, and we used a stonking big ZENNER DIODE in its own heat sink to keep the voltage about right.

But then those were the days when a LUCAS generator was called 'Lucas Prince of Darkness'.
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

TechAdmin

« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2021, 03:14:48 PM »
I don't know the exact amount of watts the circuit would push through it but sure enough more than it could ever withstand, reading online it can't take much at all :(
I do have a diode inside the relay box, but I don't know and can't find out what it is exactly (sealed plastic box).

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2021, 03:15:59 PM »
ClockmanFRA;
Those were the days!! We used to know when the KZ650's were having issues when the light would dim according to how revved up the ICE was.
I was also the person who knew how to file the contacts on the old generators to get the regulator back to mak'n "n" break'n .

Nowadays, the regulators are made with MOSFets (at least the last time I went digging).
The buggers are almost throw-aways around here.

Cheers
Bruce S

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2021, 03:25:07 PM »
I don't know the exact amount of watts the circuit would push through it but sure enough more than it could ever withstand, reading online it can't take much at all :(
I do have a diode inside the relay box, but I don't know and can't find out what it is exactly (sealed plastic box).

TechAdmin;
You would need a 3-phase rectifier that could handle about 100Vac and 50A to be safe. Then a regulator that would step it down to 14.5Vdc to be on the safe side.
I've built some gnarly stuff just to get to home base. I can say that duct tape is a great isolator!!

Cheers
Bruce S 

mab

« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2021, 03:42:08 PM »
Cor! I turn my back for 5 minutes and I've got all this reading to do!

I must admit that I was thinking that a higher voltage stator wouldn't matter as it would be clamped to not much above battery volts by the rectifier & shunt regulator - but the regulator in this case is a "black box" so I don't really know how it works.

But I'm still not convinced that there are enough extra turns to cause overvoltage issues at just 3000revs; that wire can't be much thinner than original and unless there are a lot of extra turns there can't be that much extra voltage - unless it's been wired star instead of delta?

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2021, 03:53:12 PM »
Take a look at this link carefully

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-2/voltage-current-resistance-relate/

Ohms law can be configured in 3 ways.

Since you were not able to measure resistance of the stator because it was burned up, you are at a disadvantage.

BUT if you understand Ohms Law this information may be recovered with the info provided in the service manual..

And watch out for your exciter coil it is its own circuit.   

TechAdmin

« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2021, 07:53:02 PM »
TechAdmin;
You would need a 3-phase rectifier that could handle about 100Vac and 50A to be safe. Then a regulator that would step it down to 14.5Vdc to be on the safe side.
I've built some gnarly stuff just to get to home base. I can say that duct tape is a great isolator!!

Cheers
Bruce S 
I don't think such an item exists for this kind of application. The Shindengen one I shipped back is already top notch kind of stuff and couldn't handle it.
Cor! I turn my back for 5 minutes and I've got all this reading to do!

I must admit that I was thinking that a higher voltage stator wouldn't matter as it would be clamped to not much above battery volts by the rectifier & shunt regulator - but the regulator in this case is a "black box" so I don't really know how it works.

But I'm still not convinced that there are enough extra turns to cause overvoltage issues at just 3000revs; that wire can't be much thinner than original and unless there are a lot of extra turns there can't be that much extra voltage - unless it's been wired star instead of delta?
I can't tell, but you can take a look at the pictures https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,150320.msg1055253.html#msg1055253
As for how they work I did post a link to a massive explanation in the first page: https://www.belinassu.it/396108572 it is in Italian but Google Translate should translate it fine, plus there are images. I did read all of that, yes.
Take a look at this link carefully

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-2/voltage-current-resistance-relate/

Ohms law can be configured in 3 ways.

Since you were not able to measure resistance of the stator because it was burned up, you are at a disadvantage.

BUT if you understand Ohms Law this information may be recovered with the info provided in the service manual..

And watch out for your exciter coil it is its own circuit.   
Ha! I do know about that stuff! Studied it at school and was first in class :) Kind of always for electronics, except for when it was about fluids... I never understood jack sh!t about fluids ;D

clockmanFRA

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2021, 04:08:53 AM »
Gosh JW, you mastered TIME. ?    Is it linear?

Bruce,  Did some thinking last night, and yes i used to use the Stonking great Zenner diode on my Triumph 650 Bonneville T120r that had a new modern, for those days,  Alternator,  but it was fairly wild output.
 The Zener would hold about 14.8vdc-15vdc and after the rectifier but before the battery. So the battery had to be just right in size to clamp but then not overcharge.   That Zenner and its big heat sink would get mighty hot sometimes. 

TechAdmin,   My conclusion is that your coils are just kicking out To much voltage for your regulator to handle.   And that the coil winding count is wrong against the original coils.     I dont think you have re-energised the magnets?  In my day it was the only way to get a magneto working properly.

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2021, 09:07:31 AM »
THAT is the one thing I DO NOT miss about Generators!! Not needing to re-energize the coils or smack the starter if they got stuck  :o.

The cheap Chinese made knock offs of the beautiful Piaggio scooters use a black-box unit that is near worthless IMO. I've owned no less than (4) 49cc, 150cc & 250cc TNG units (Ankles can no longer take the shifting. it was the 31st jump that did it  8) ). All use the same RR and I can hand-build a unit better unit without the black-goop. Oh wait I did build a better unit :-) was on my 150 touring up til the day someone stole it! Must've been due to the "mods" I did to it.

TechAdmin
Those do exits!! You can get just the 3-phase Rectifier on Amazon for just around 20USD.  ;D

Before we get too far off track,,, Let us know what happens next.TKS

TechAdmin

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2021, 01:01:36 PM »
Well I tested with 2 phases instead of 3 and it didn't do anything (no output). I've been asked by the guy who sold me the Shindengen regulator because of some kind of frequency thingy... He told me that some dude regularly does this when he goes to the track and then plugs the third phase back in for regular riding because he has an extremely high rpm bike (18000rpm and alike) and at high rpms the regulator can't handle it with 3 phases, but with 2 phases it's a bit weak for low rpms.

So I'll just wait for the guys who rewound the stator for the time being. It's on them to solve this voltage issue.

TechAdmin

« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2021, 08:29:49 PM »
Some news, nothing fancy.
Returned the infamous 16v regulator shown in the last video, should get refunded later today.
Ordered an alternative stator since the guys who rewound it are really poor at replying by the looks of it, so I should end up with 2 working stators.
New regulator doesn't have a working middle pin so I'll have to connect it to the positive as it's needed for my particular bike to have that current in order to wake the headlights up.

We *should* be approaching the final solution.

@JW this time it's me linking you a song:

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2021, 11:41:03 PM »
Hi Flavio like that one, pretty cool. One of the other users posted a video and I advanced the link...

I'm one who thinks there should be a "mental heath month" some where. I know you have been having a tough go about things lately. You wouldn't believe what I've gone thru with my nephew since last Saturday. I've got him living here with me for the time being its to much for my Mom to deal with for now.

Im one who believes in pooling resources if we go back into the stone age... As long as parts are available they should be utilized. Im just going to put this link here no worries.

https://www.google.com/search?q=MAGNATRON+KWASAKI+NINJA+STATOR+KIT&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS910US910&ei=5dBWYMCdIZuxtQbaj7iIDw&oq=MAGNATRON+KWASAKI+NINJA+STATOR+KIT&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQghEKsCMgUIIRCrAjoHCAAQRxCwAzoHCCEQChCgAVDxrAFYhfkBYJeNAmgBcAF4AIABeogB1QiSAQM5LjOYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6yAEEwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwiApIqoy8DvAhWbWM0KHdoHDvEQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

Ok now for the video  ;D

1982 - Tron - Trailer

all right so throw in a video back

TechAdmin

« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2021, 03:23:30 PM »
And we are finally at the post we've all been waiting for.

New stator from the regulator guy, along with another regulator (SH 821 AA, Shindengen) came in. I recorded the full process, from stator installation to the end, including stator&regulator tests.

Stator resistance was tested off camera and was 0,6.
Stator voltage a tiny bit above half of the rewound one.
Regulator voltage perfectly stable 14.45v, well within good parameters.
System STABLE.

You will find all relevant time links in the video description but I'll copy/paste them anyway.
0:00 - 8:30 stator installation
13:45 - 15:25 stator voltage test
15:25 - 18:15 regulator installation
18:15 - 20:30 system test (voltage regulator)
20:30 - 22:30 conclusions
22:30 credits (yes, you lot are in there)

And sorry for my crappy accent, I normally have it that tends quite heavily towards British but in this case scenario I had to butcher it to be perfectly understandable for non-English speakers too :-X
As of this post, it's still processing HD quality, but it should hopefully be up in HD soon.

That said,
THANK YOU ALL (I've never used this font size before ;D ), you helped me to put an end to 6 months of suffering and one of the causes of my depression. There are still some bits to figure out because the new regulator is slightly different size-wise so I'll have to drill some holes in the mount to get it to fit but I'll figure those out, that's just the mechanical part.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2021, 04:37:26 PM »
Accent? I didn't notice any accent   ;).
Above all else, it's good to see it back working.

Cheers!!
Bruce S

clockmanFRA

« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2021, 05:19:15 PM »
Yes, looking at your Video, those numbers outputting and charging are in the right ball park.

WELL DONE for perseverance.     And WELL DONE for your Video. 

TechAdmin

« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2021, 08:39:14 PM »
Thanks to both of you for the kind words :D

I realized I forgot to post the new stator, so here goes.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2021, 02:32:21 AM »
Hurrah!
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2021, 12:22:20 AM »
That's much better!
Just glad I could help a little.

So we're not going to see you online for a while, right?  Road trip??
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

TechAdmin

« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2021, 07:12:12 AM »
Funny enough I could go abroad but can't move to a nearby region because Italian politicians are fkin smart.
I still have to take care of the mechanical aspect, as in how to hold the regulator, and I'll make the battery -> regulator cables longer, so I have to solder them and such.
After that, lights should start to work again :) and will probably replace them with leds, along with adding green additional ones inside the bike (under the seats and such).

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2021, 08:44:53 AM »
TechAdmin;
IF you start replacing the turn signal lights with LEDs. Some of the lesser quality replacement bulbs mess with the signal timing.
I had this problem early on in my car. The LEDs didn't draw enough current to get the relay to work correctly.

I too added cool LED strips onto our daughter's scooter so the car would see her. Even wired some of them up to flash with the turn signals :-).

Happy Riding !!

Bruce S

TechAdmin

« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2021, 09:30:27 AM »
Yes, I do have those at the back and they flash a tiny touch faster than normal. They still pass inspections and as far as I'm concerned it's better like that because they draw the attention a bit more ;D Thanks a lot for the tip anyway.