Author Topic: Numberof magnetic poles  (Read 713 times)

GreenTeam

Numberof magnetic poles
« on: March 14, 2021, 04:07:59 AM »
Out of curiosity, how many magnetic poles would a samsung direct drive motor part number DC93-003009A have?
I'm not sure of the radial flux rules on magnets/coils or slots or poles. Is it the same as axial flux? where as there are 18 coils so
there for there would be 24 magnetic poles in the rotor hub? And is also the same for the DC31-00111a version?  The DC31-00111A model,
I am still unclear as to how many magnetic poles the rotor has. I know it has more than what is visibly seen, because gliding a piece of metal over
one of the magnets, the metal can repel and than attract. So, just out of curiosity, does anyone know the number of poles for both these motors?
Thank you!

Adriaan Kragten

Re: Numberof magnetic poles
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 03:39:51 AM »
For a normal 2-layers 3-phase winding, the number of coils is 3/4 of the number of armature poles. This is valid for both axial flux and radial flux generators. But you know that special windings exist, like used in the hoover board motor, for which you have 27 coils and 30 magnets so the factor is 9/10.

The number of preference positions per revolution is much larger than the number of armature poles. For instance, if you make a 12-pole radial flux generator and if you use a stator with 36 slots, you will get 36 preference positions per revolution (if the magnet sleeves aren't skewed). But if you make a 4-pole radial flux generator and if you use a stator with 36 slots, you will also get 36 preference positions per revolution. So the number of armature poles can't be derived from the number of preference positions per revolution, especially if you don't know if the generator has a 1-phase or a 3-phase winding and if you don't know the number of stator slots. You have to open the generator to be sure. For a 1-phase bicycle dynamo, the number of preference positions is equal to the number of poles.

GreenTeam

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 02:55:30 AM »
I do have the motors in front of me. But, im afraid that some of the magnets might have more than 2 poles. At least it seems that way when I glide a small magnet over it,
Which, I cant do that very much because I am scared of wiping out the poles with a neodymium. And, there is very little info online for part # dc31--0012a

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 07:45:17 AM »
A way to find the number of poles without opening the generator, is to put the alternating voltage of one phase on a scope and to count the number of full sinus waves per revolution. If you count for instance eight full sinus waves per revolution, you know that the generator will have sixteen poles as you will get one full sinus wave if a north and a south pole have passed by.

GreenTeam

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 11:01:34 AM »
errr cant really do that... no scope, and the motors are sitting on the floor. With no axle for the magnet rotor.