Author Topic: setting up new lithium batteries with mpp all in one controller  (Read 1577 times)

junglehydro

Hi All,

I could use  little help with setting up my new lithium batteries on my all in one charge controller/inverter.
I am replacing some gel batteries that have gone bad, and am not really savvy enough that I can figure out how to make sure they are being charged/discharged correctly and I also want to set the depth of discharge to around 75% so that they last me a long time.
I have found a manual (but am not allowed to post links?), but can't really figure out the correct setting... :-[

DamonHD: here's a helpful link: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/uploads/1/2/9/6/12964626/pip-lv_3kva_manual-20160823_2.pdf
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:36:44 AM by DamonHD »

Scruff

Re: setting up new lithium batteries with mpp all in one controller
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 08:21:15 PM »
It's a pretty daunting task. It takes me about a fortnight to do.

Here's an invaluable resource.

junglehydro

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 11:18:24 AM »
Hi Scruff thanks for the article, that is a daunting read all in itself!
Actually it turned out to be a lot easier that a forthnight luckily. I sent an email to the company and they responded in one day with where in the menu I could manually set the charge and discharge settings.
And turns out the battery has a perfectly good data sheet that has some graphs that show which voltage corresponds with which amount of discharge, so I can easily put in those numbers in my controller now.
Just 15 minutes of work fortunately!

Scruff

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 04:55:39 PM »
Most manufacturers gloss over memory effect releasing cycles, thermal management, trying to maintaining a 20% to 80% operational SOC envelope with a flatline SOC voltage curve and CC charging with stepped voltage tail current feedback, low&high-temperature charger foldback, safe automatic isolation, lithium plating preventative measures, charger reduced float for prolonged standby use, preventing solar controllers from automatically re-bulking charged batteries every morning etc...

...makes it's all very unattractively complicated for the headache and few thousand extra cycles it's worth.

Every LFP manufacturer I've seen are recommending 100% state of charge restorations and are putting the low-temperature cutout at the flashpoint and not the incrementally harmful point. Despite claiming cycle counts in a constrained optimised 20°C and reduced SOC oscillations about 50%.

That Nordkyn chap Eric tells it like it is.