Author Topic: Recent activity  (Read 13104 times)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Recent activity
« on: April 28, 2021, 03:04:40 PM »
Ok heres my work with external combustion

Jeremys Cornburner.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKDSX3lMasw

Talk Talk - It's My Life ( Official Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFH5JgyZK1I

Im getting ready to do some tests. I had the problem of an 96 PSI air line being a tether to the burner. The video you see is with the HPLV afterburner injection with heating.

The next video will use the HVLP system using a ducted fan. Getting everything ready.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Recent activity
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 03:32:06 PM »
Here is some parts I will be working with

14038-0

The aluminum condenser wont be used because were not going to run an engine. But the primary heat exchanger will make steam to 3204psi. So were going to get some video of that discharge.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 08:57:20 AM »
THAT'S some Aluminum stack!!

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 02:12:01 PM »
Have you added an auger feed to the corn burner yet? 

If you get a chance look at a Bixby corn stove mechanism, self emptying pot to remove the corn clinker that forms... it was the first self cleaning stove on the market and they worked most of the time. I had one until they went out of business and parts availability dropped to zero. I had a plate that would move in and cut the top half of the burn off in the pot, kept the active burn going and isolated the clinker under while another plate opened the bottom of the pot dropping out the clinker puck. In this vid the noises at first are that cycle clearing the pot for startup. During ignition is used a small air compressor to blow air into the burn pot to automatically light corn. Not many stoves were capable of that. Very advanced stove and the company could have really ran with it but they quit development to invest money in this coal to gas system that triggered a bunch of investment fraud investigations... ended with a lot of bad blood and a bunch of orphaned corn burning stoves.

This pic shows the 2 plates, top burn plate with air holes, Bottom plate with the round cut out to drop the clinker in the ash pan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_ilmPxWfs

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 06:58:53 PM »
Hi Mary,

this is the corn burner that I developed

https://flashsteam.com/corn-burners-solid-fuel-burners

Like anything else I made a mistake on the patent application, I called something a sight glass when I should have called it a photo transistor. I was using fiber optic cable to protect the PT from melting.

Like I mentioned before the air supply came from shop air which had awesome performance HPLV, but was not practical for the application. I am now using a 12v ducted fan with speed control LPHV. I am in the proof of concept stage for that air supply and am planning testing out this weekend or next. will film it and make some steam and post that.   

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »
To speak to what I forgot to mention "clinkers"

There are none produced by this combustion system, the ash has a white residue powder. There is an agitator (bar that spins like a blender) on the fuel grate/support.   

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 08:13:11 PM »

Some pictures

14045-0

14046-1

14047-2

14048-3

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 12:39:08 PM »
How is the lifespan of the stirrer bar? Other designs had them and many took them out and scrapped them due to corrosion and wear making them last 2-3 months. Burning corn is some nasty stuff, lot of nitric acid forms. When I walked by the vent my nose would burn.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 09:57:02 PM »

Ya I had that problem at first, thru continuous testing I found that if you make the shaft and agitator of thick gauge steel it will last longer. The shaft and bearing was 1in d the bar is over a 1/4in thick.

I am aware of the corrosive products be they are easy to see. Also I have sort off a zinc it wares out fast to protect the other metals, I think I refer to it as a catalyst in the patent. when you can burn as hot as you can reduces the nitric emissions, the hotter the better, I try to achieve a blue flame. There are quite a bit of protective coatings that are used.

Did you know the burning corn is totally unregulated by the EPA.

Of another concern is the use of a superheater, these can glow red. My preferred material is 316L SS.   

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 02:18:16 AM »
Quote from: JW
when you can burn as hot as you can reduces the nitric emissions, the hotter the better, I try to achieve a blue flame.

I am wrong in this quote dang-it NOx emissions are increased with higher temps. here's a link  https://www3.epa.gov/region1/airquality/nox.html

These emissions can be reduced by making process changes (such as modifications to the combustion process) or by installing air pollution control equipment (such as selective non-catalytic reduction (SNCR) or selective catalytic reduction (SCR)).

I am aware of the corrosive products be they are easy to see. Also I have sort off a zinc it wares out fast to protect the other metals, I think I refer to it as a catalyst in the patent.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 01:37:54 PM »
I was getting 4-5 years out of a vent made from 304 stainless steel! Burning corn you wanted that blue flame deep int he burn pot, corn falling in sorta melts as you watch then it burns. Pellets aren't as interesting but they are a heck of a lot less corrosive and my lungs thank me! With the winds I get in winter some smoke would occasionally blow past a seal on a really bad wind gust. Burning wood is an okay smell, burning corn? Smelling burnt popcorn all day sucks LOL

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 07:15:21 PM »
Ha I remember the first time smelling burning corn. My Grand parents took we to a steam engine days festival when I was young. I smelled it in the air that day as they were mixing it with coal and run the steam tractors. 

MattM

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 07:56:14 PM »
Burnt popcorn is bad.  If you could generate buttered popcorn smells you might be winning.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 08:28:03 PM »
LOL the smell is sweet, theres no burnt smell.

Quote from: Mary B
corn falling in sorta melts as you watch then it burns. Pellets aren't as interesting

I once talked to someone about that he told me the corn is fermenting under heat.

In my burner the are several stages of burn in the combustion system I use. Since my application is intended to make steam, its different than a pot burner.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 09:36:07 PM »
I've just ordered the catalyst screen 304SS and will do a burn cycle once I have that. I was supposed to have it now but my last order did not go thru. Once I have that we'll do a test burn. The catalyst screen is considered a consumable and has to be replace periodically.

The air injection fan can pull 40amps@12vdc, thats alot of power. The performance should be increased from the example here-

071818 002a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi7gW6RfnM

This run is without the catalyst screen and a bit more pressure/flow will be under 40a, will be updated soon. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 09:46:29 PM by JW »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 10:43:03 AM »
Corn powered jet engine! LOL That thing is LOUD!

I noticed it mentioned unheated combustion air. Some guys up in Canada did testing on preheating combustion air VS fire temps. -60f input air vs warming it to +70f. They found no difference in combustion temps. The colder air is denser so more O2 to the fire but loss of it being cold so a wash. +70f is less dense but less loss to heating it up for combustion so no gain in combustion temps...

I see a very slight efficiency boost with -20f air, use a tiny bit less fuel, maybe get an extra 30 minutes from a full hopper during a 24 hour burn.

MattM

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2021, 09:35:21 PM »
I'd rather have the cold air to get more complete burn.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2021, 05:56:17 PM »
Here's another video of the burner, at this point I had optimized the combustion. The problem was the thing was tethered to a shop air hose. I have been working to achieve this same performance with a 12 batt, getting close. I wish I made more videos of this burner section. The air is heated by at least 15foot of 1/4 steel tubing coiled before it goes in the afterburner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKDSX3lMasw

;D

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2021, 05:33:35 PM »
I will go into this later...

14215-0

But I'm interested in this, I knew about it before I filed my first patent.

https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/documentation/magazines/misc/Case%20Against%20Patents.pdf

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2021, 06:35:08 PM »
Here's a piece of my work- https://flashsteam.com/corn-burners-solid-fuel-burners/

I put so much work in this patent application, there has to be a better process. I was thinking that a patent would be a good way to archive the information. There has to be a better way that is- Its one of the things that goes on here...

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2021, 03:21:37 AM »
Well done JW for getting the information down and making it understandable.

Sorry my comments were not relevant to your subject.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 04:30:18 PM by clockmanFRA »
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2021, 02:07:13 PM »
have you estimated the BTU burner output?

Bixby corn stoves used for house heating used fuzzy logic controls and monitored temps in 5 or 6 spots to know what was going on. When it worked it worked well, when it screwed up I invented new curse words as I tried to unjam it...

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2021, 03:41:47 PM »
Quote from: Mary B
have you estimated the BTU burner output?

There are many complications on that. Since I'm using a "four cycle steam engine" we cant nail down what it does efficiency wise.

For years and years there have been extorbent claims on what a flash steam engines can do efficiency wise.

Im not one those who will disregard the law of Thermodynamics. My goal is to shoot them all, and let God sort them out. :)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2021, 03:51:57 PM »
Im not sure on solid kernel shells seems 10,000btu per pound. We can only come at it thru one direction. So over time measurement we can figure combustion. In short it depends on the btu value of a pound of the fuel used, and this a solid fuel evasion over time.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2021, 04:25:43 PM »
Do I think differently than most people-yes.

The proper answer for the question "have you estimated the BTU burner output?"

It depends on fuel quantity per lbs and given time. SO if you burn 10 lbs of solid fuel that has 10,000 per lb. you could say 100000 btu. Assuming 100% combustion efficiency...

I could go on... the past two weeks have been hell at work. dont get me started.   

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2021, 05:37:36 PM »
I am "miffed about combustion efficiency"

This is exactly what I am working on using a "Catalyst screen"  to make a secondary fuel igniter. I have R&D area that the neighbor keeps putting his stuff on, hate it... 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2021, 02:39:10 PM »
Burning corn is pretty dang efficient if you get the conditions right... all the burnable parts of it are gone. They claim 98% for my corn/pellet stove(note CLAIM... no publishing of test data...)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2021, 12:44:25 AM »
Thanks Mary B

I really don't know the BTU rating.

But I'm very interested to Fuzzy Logic control...

You see I comprehend it [FLC] as a pure logic function.

I have remember reading about the people having a one legged stool for the curing concrete, on a heat coverer so the operator could not fall asleep while they were monitoring the conveyer curing the concrete.   

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2022, 11:47:01 PM »
I made a huge mistake on a patent application. I mentioned a "site glass" but did not specify "photo transistor". totally sucks

Im thinking I might fire up the burner I have this weekend. we will see.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2022, 11:58:40 PM »
My real drawback it that my camera quit working. I use image composer, I want a digital camera with low ress. Im thinking 50 or something "whatever"

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2022, 12:09:40 AM »
I got into the game early, SMF needs tons of Mods (computer bla bla) The apex of the working forum is made from many things. For example image management, there is a tonn of other stuff. Most of these forums dont evolve to the need for a Coder.

There is also servers keys and beyond...

There are so many volunteers here and they handle Admin issues.

This site was designed for maximum capability. Regardless of RE designs :)     

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2022, 12:18:28 AM »
We have a good solid platform here it took a lot some work to accomplish that. There are many capably built into this thing.

MattM

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2022, 06:43:34 AM »
I'm thinking corn prices are going to soar this fall.  Major companies and vulnerable countries are jockeying to control supply at an increasing frantic pace.  As demand increases the prices have this way of moving up in scale exponentially.  Do you have alternatives to corn kernels, like perhaps the cob material, worked out?