Author Topic: Turbine lowered, Tower dismantled  (Read 3894 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Turbine lowered, Tower dismantled
« on: May 09, 2021, 09:50:32 AM »

Somewhat sad news, I have lowered the Spirit of Zubbly-II for an extended break.

Nothing wrong with the turbine!  It's a bit frustrating to have a turbine that will run for years but can't use any more until the equipment around it is upgraded. It is in fact the infrastructure around the turbine that is no longer up to the task.  There are many problems that have literally been growing around it:

• A wall of poplar trees to the west
  • A wall of pine trees to the south
  • Failing battery cell
  • Excessive twisting that I can’t get out of the drop-cable

These small problems have combined to major problem that I can only fix properly by relocating the tower and replacing the battery.  For that I have to completely dismantle the system.

I will have to live without this living, breathing machine in my yard this summer.

The deciduous trees to the west side have grown from a meagre 30 feet when I moved here to a staggering 60 feet tall – much taller than any poplar trees in the county.  They are a minor obstacle in the winter when they shed their leaves, but for the summer months they block 1/2 of the prevalent winds.

The pine trees south of the turbine are more of a safety issue.  Planning to cut them down when they were small many years ago, they have proven to be a good snow barrier in the winter and we no loner want to remove them.  They now entangle the tower’s guy wires as I raise and lower it, making a dicey operation even more difficult.

There’s not much I can do to stop the weakest cell in the battery pack from failing that doesn't require me to disconnect everything from it.  The battery pack is the only load on the turbine, and this turbine is not designed to ever run unloaded/disconnected.  It is nearly 20 years old, now.  They are already living in grace but this was inevitable.  The bad cell is now several percent weaker than the rest and falling quickly.  If it remains connected it will draw down the rest, which is suicide for battery packs.

The twisted cable in the tower should be simple to solve but some shortcuts I took when I first built it now prevent the pendant cable inside the tower from twisting freely.  The winds here turn almost exclusively clockwise, at least once a week, so many twists build up.  Because of where the cable is, and how the bolts that assemble the tower lock the cable in place, the only way to get the cable untwisted is to dismantle the tower.  When the cable is as twisted as it is now, there isn't even any slack to allow partial dismantling.  The turbine has to come off to allow any slack at all.  This time, it's gone too far and the cable jacket is also damaged by all the twisting, so the whole cable just came out.  I counted 75 full rotations of twist in the cable, judging by the rust prints that go around it for its entire length.

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Turbine lowered, Tower dismantled
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 02:22:54 PM »
Sad to see it come down! The pines can be topped and shaped if needed, poplars I would cut down LOL I HATE those trees, grow like weeds around here. Neighbor planted some and I get volunteers everywhere in the yard. Planted one that shades my solar panels in winter that they let me cut down... we have tried to kill that stump for 5 years... copper sulfate? Nah I will send suckers up further out! Heavy duty undiluted weed killer? Nope, just killed grass in a circle 5 feet across with poplar suckers coming up through it... Next time I have a backhoe here to do something that thing is getting dug up! Until then I need to chainsaw it again this year.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 02:27:04 PM »
Yes, also sad to see you have to take it down ... for now!

We had to take down poplars in our school playground that had grown waaaaaay too tall.  And, it turns out, were rotten inside.  Eeek.  (H&S governor double eeek!)

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 04:57:36 PM »
Yes, when we moved to this house, the trees were already planted.  It became an "issue" between me and, you know, the "executive committee of all decision making".
The poplars were planted in a row around the house, and they have, to be honest, provided shelter from wind, reduced the damage from hail storms.  That said, I was unprepared for these things to grow to 60 feet when all the surrounding poplars are 30-40.
And what the hell was the guy was thinking by interspersing the poplars with conifers?  The pines suffer and some die being out-competed.  Conifers would be truly more attractive and effective year-round.  I'm pretty sure the wind shelter from the conifers gives a sizeable dollar value in lower heating cost. 

Anyway, the trees are just one of many mistakes made by my house's original builder.  However, the "committee" loves the trees, so I was out-voted.

I won a minor victory when putting up the internet antenna tower which still suffered from interference because the signal was still being blocked by the trees.  I was able to cut down 3 (oops sorry 4) before the signal was established.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

MattM

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 07:29:00 AM »
A hedge of Lombardy poplars makes a good screen to block the view of bad neighbors.  But otherwise they shed way too much debris.  A fence can do it better without the constant yard cleanup.

mbouwer

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 04:23:21 PM »
@Sparweb,

Is it possible to slide your yaw bearing a few inches (  next to the mast ) so that the cable can hang down freely? Then you have already lost that problem of the twisting  cable.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 09:27:42 PM »
Yes, that is possible.  A conduit attached to the side of the tower below it would keep the cable protected, too.
I would much prefer to start again, though.  There are several other problems to be solved at the same time.
www.sparweb.ca

mbouwer

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 08:11:42 AM »
If you start over, there are so many possibilities.
With your experience I am curious which construction form you will choose.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 11:00:26 AM by mbouwer »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 01:04:49 PM »
A hedge of Lombardy poplars makes a good screen to block the view of bad neighbors.  But otherwise they shed way too much debris.  A fence can do it better without the constant yard cleanup.

I mowed yesterday, neighbors poplars had shed crap all over the lawn. Thankfully small stuff so I mulched it... branches under 1/4 inch or so go through the mower deck LOL! Did I mention my version of lawn care is I don't care, mow it once in awhile...

MattM

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 05:37:14 PM »
Twice a year.  Thrice if you're feeling it?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 09:42:02 PM »
I want to put up a truss tower instead.
That said...  2 weeks ago I missed the final bid on an auction of a 70-foot tall tower just like I needed.  It went to somebody else for just 425 bucks.
So I'm still watching & waiting...
www.sparweb.ca

kitestrings

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 10:34:21 AM »
I somehow missed this post Spar.  Sorry to hear your down, though good that the turbine is intact.  I don't know if it would be of interest, but we have a 100' Rohn 25G sitting here.  I had thoughts of playing with a smaller turbine on a few sections of it, but I'm doubtful that is going to happen given other priorities.  Anyway, let me know if it is anything sort of fit.  ~ks

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 01:56:41 PM »
There is 70' of Rohn 45 in WI just west of the Twin Cities for sale...

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 10:33:26 PM »
Hey,
This one's due for an update, isn't it!?
I have been at the computer much less than usual lately.  Houses is too hot (month-long heat-wave) to stay indoors and type at a keyboard.  Today is the first day that didn't go above 20C (68F) since June, except for one day and that was a very productive day.

Thanks for the offers.  I should catch you all up with my progress.  I've got a tower, got it cleaned up, partly dismantled, and some replacement parts fabricated to hold the top stub tube.  Still more to go, and I haven't yet tackled the ground-level structure.  Stay tuned for pictures.

www.sparweb.ca

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
New Tower Build
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 12:28:21 AM »
This topic was split into "New Tower Build" -
New Tower Build
www.sparweb.ca