Author Topic: $100 Wind Generator - so far so good  (Read 2273 times)

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
$100 Wind Generator - so far so good
« on: May 18, 2021, 01:31:09 PM »
So I picked up this turbine just over a week ago , and it's so far so good, have seen 7.5amps at 30 volts in approx 12-15mph , it makes a weird sound when it starts pumping out the juice.

https://youtu.be/kcV3kAOBdKI

^^ This is a Youtube link there are no adverts in the video , let me know what you think of the sound, it's running on a 6m tower blades are 1.3 metre, cheers.

It seems to turn out of the wind too easily was thinking of a bigger heavier tail.

Markcw

Re: $100 Wind Generator - so far so good
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 04:15:37 AM »
Looking good for it's first time in its new home, just interested what is the total weight of the turbine and blades. I was looking at your tower did you just us scaffold tube for it? Only interested as I am looking at starting on my tower soon .

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 11:08:44 AM »
Yo mate , Thanks for the reply , I would estimate 30kg in total blades , head , tail.

The tower was made by myself and uses a winch , I used 60mm OD steel 3mm tubing and then it has a connector piece welded in where each 2.4m 60mm section connects, I had to make a tower bracket from scrap metal that took a few hours but seems to work well , with my tower I put 3 sets of guyed wires just to be on the safe side, getting some 20mph winds tomorrow will be interesting to see what it does.

Cheers

Markcw

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 12:33:13 PM »
Thanks for that, I was looking at a 21 scaffold pole for mine that's when it is ready, it's getting it up and down is going to be interesting, was thinking of a winch or pulley system, but have still not made my mind up Lol

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 03:43:27 PM »
Thanks for that, I was looking at a 21 scaffold pole for mine that's when it is ready, it's getting it up and down is going to be interesting, was thinking of a winch or pulley system, but have still not made my mind up Lol

Yes mate you will need an 8 foot gin pole and a winch , I have a tirfor 2 ton , then you need some sets of guyed ropes my tower only 6m but I have 3 sets, it's great fun having a tower you can take up and put down yourself , this can come down in less than 2 minutes.

MattM

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 10:12:17 AM »
It looks like you found a real good deal.

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 02:53:31 PM »
It looks like you found a real good deal.

Yes mate I would have to say $100 well spent.

topspeed

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 04:09:14 AM »
Yes very good deal...I had to put at least 500 usd just to tune my third prototype.
These wind turbines must for that reason in a deeper sense be of a timeless beauty, so that they do not in three or four decades hence burden a later generation with a heavy task of removing angular skeletons.....

Ulrich Hütter

Aerodynamics is highly educated guessing, worked out to 5 decimals

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 04:01:16 PM »
Yes very good deal...I had to put at least 500 usd just to tune my third prototype.

I think I have spent way over 1000$ on tools just to make "ineffective" wind turbines :), so super glad to get this cheap.

topspeed

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 02:09:14 AM »

I think I have spent way over 1000$ on tools just to make "ineffective" wind turbines :), so super glad to get this cheap.

I think just the very thought of having made a rotating machine that is creating electricity ( out of nothing ) is a very fascinating accomplishment.

Certainly after few years if it is not making any revenue it might become somewhat boring.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 02:26:27 AM by topspeed »
These wind turbines must for that reason in a deeper sense be of a timeless beauty, so that they do not in three or four decades hence burden a later generation with a heavy task of removing angular skeletons.....

Ulrich Hütter

Aerodynamics is highly educated guessing, worked out to 5 decimals