Author Topic: What are some typical costs for the electrical utility to run service  (Read 924 times)

sunbelt56

• shack rehab
I live in a pretty isolated area and I'm in the middle of deciding how many panels & batteries to buy. I tell people what I'm doing and they wonder why I just don't get the electrical utility to provide service. I can see some poles about a mile or so away and I just assumed it would be too costly to install poles. So can anyone provide a ball-park figure? Is it by the number of poles or the distance from the nearest sub-station or whatever. Just curious.

bigrockcandymountain

$15000 canadian dollars to run 900' from the existing line was my quote 5 years ago.  I am off grid 900' from the grid ha ha.

I would guess $30 000 to $50 000 but that is just a guess.  Where are you at?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
I just noticed that Sunbelt put Wyoming into his member profile page. 
I don`t know how that helps, though.

You`d know for sure if you called the utility and got a quote, of course. 
Not sure if you get any choice in the matter.  I wouldn`t.
There`s only one owner of the lines in my area, so to get connected they have to call the one utility.

Something I noticed is that poles around here are often about 100 yards apart. 
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
35 years ago I had a regular stop to pick up and deliver printed material in West Palm Beach. One print shop installed a 3-phase converter because FP&L wanted $20k to run lines across the street to give him 3-phase. It was much cheaper to just tap the neighbor's bay panel and pay their electric bill and use both panel's power to get 3-phase to run his 4-color Hamada press.

It wasn't a major road or far away. Just a one lane street. A couple hundred feet at most.