Author Topic: Troubleshooting Ventera Wind & Solar Inverter model I12-60  (Read 851 times)

Jack

Troubleshooting Ventera Wind & Solar Inverter model I12-60
« on: September 22, 2021, 12:43:30 AM »
Hello everyone,
 I am trying to troubleshoot a Ventera Wind & Solar Inverter model I12-60 that is wired to a VT10 wind turbine. I have no prints, wiring diagrams or sequence of operation. The wind turbine has a three phase output of 270 VAC, at the base of tower, when unwired from the inverter. With the inverter wired in, the brake is not releasing allowing the wind turbine to spin. This system is wired to the electric grid.

bigrockcandymountain

Re: Troubleshooting Ventera Wind & Solar Inverter model I12-60
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 08:15:59 AM »
Cool, that is a big turbine.  My quick search suggested that is has no mechanical brake, just the 3 wire output that electromagnetic brakes it.

The rectifier could be shorted or more likely, whatever failsafe crowbar type brake circuit is applying the brakes. A picture of the inverter would help a lot. Especially the circuit board or whatever the input from the turbine attaches to.  It could be almost anything.

I'm assuming this was working fine and now isn't.  Is that the case, or is it a new install that you are trying to get going?

Maybe a dumb question, but is the output fine and hooked to an active grid? No grid connection would cause the brakes to apply as well.

Jack

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 07:49:02 PM »
I appreciate your response.
This system did work at one time, but never produced as designed.
I agree with you on the electromagnetic brake. There is 240VAC at the inverter fed from the grid.
There are three wire terminals, 101, 102 and 103 coming from the turbine, which is not turning. Phase to phase the meter shows no voltage AC or DC. Phase to ground there is 160 volts DC. This must be what is energizing the brake.
I have 3 pictures that will not attach.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 08:25:33 PM by Jack »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 11:49:18 PM »
Images aren't always intuitive here.
The basic method on this site is to "click more than you expect to."
Look for the extra steps you need to take.
It's a bit old school.
Try attaching just one per post.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca