Homebrewed Electricity > Other

wood gas

(1/4) > >>

machinemaker:
does anyone here have experience using wood gas / syn-gas for powering small engines? I am thinking of using this to run a backup generator.
Kent

Mary B:
I remember a discussion on this a few years ago... the forum search feature should bring it up...

Scruff:
Burnin' wood's pretty CO2 intense with current implementation it's akin to burning dinos. Trees can't sequester as much CO2 as they release from incineration in their lifetime.

Politicians, lumbermills etc say otherwise...without demonstrating any data because that'd be the same as saying I'm a bald-faced liar and have a financial interest at heart.

If you'd intended on burning it anyway then by all means rotate a turbine with it on it's way to the atmosphere.

We've an open fire in our house. If you light it it redirects the draft but doesn't heat anything inside the building. It's a 5 ton engineered hole in the building and the heat losses through it are about >1000:1 what it provides when we light it 4 times a year. Why is it so shyt? I asked...I was told "That's the way we always do it!"

Mary B:
Why my pellet stoves uses outside air for combustion and draws zero inside air... and I can burn corn if I want(it is a pain) which IS carbon neutral. They claim stove efficiency of 90+%... I think closer to 80%, the exhaust is hotter than I would want to hold my hand over but it vents via a simple insulated vent pipe and thimble thru the wall.

machinemaker:
WOW! Interesting comments!
Kent

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version