Homebrewed Electricity > Storage

Making large PLANTE lead acid Batteries.

<< < (3/22) > >>

Mary B:
Hmmm they make square plastic buckets these days... might make a good container... just thinking off the top of my head.

clockmanFRA:
Okay, if you read the specs of the so called Exide PLANTE battery the Negative plates are a grid matrix paste filled, but only the Anode is pure sheet lead.  So i doubt the paste plates on the negative cathode will last more than normal commercial Forklift types.

Mary, Sadly a standard bucket is not going to cut it, as its important to supporting the plates, or holding them upright properly. As you can see with the Exide pic above each of the 12 plates is supported with a wedged tang on just one side.
 So might do mine with two wedge tangs per plate then holding each plate with the case however sediment could short the plates out on the case lip that will support, but i can see why they just do one wedge tang on each plate as this stops Cathode shorting with the Anode over time with sediment, so if its just cathode wedge tangs on one side of the case and Anode support on the other side of the case lifting lip.

And again alternate the base support at the bottom of the inside of the battery with one support comb for anode and one for cathode plates.   That means that each of the 12 plates will have a side lip support and a base support.  Yep that looks a goer.

Preliminary Case design .......
 I did think about a slightly tapering internal case, but i think a lip in the case like above pic is good as the plates are unlikely to get wedged in with this kind of big and heavy battery, and beside so much easier to get the plates out of the case and wash and repair in the future.
My previous cells i made up relied on the case top supporting the plates on the main bus bars, but with a big and heavy battery a case lip internally would be good.

Yes, it is possible to get transparent polypropylene.

clockmanFRA:
On each page of this topic,  MAKING LARGE LEAD ACID BATTERIES. i will put a disclaimer

DISCLAIMER.

NO liability is accepted by the author of this topic and future published book, for any damages of any kind, for the ideas, construction, operation, performance, or impact in respect of this post and books subject.

Bruce i trust this is okay? and if necessary please amend or add to this to protect the Forum from anyone claiming they read something here and ........

Scruff:
Mr Piggott has a take on that, that I appreciate.

so did Mark Twain.

clockmanFRA:
LEAD SUPPLY.

I have a kind person in the UK going on a search around the local Oxford, UK builders merchants to track down 6 meter lengths, Code 5, at 2,24mm thick and 210mm width rolled lead.

Here are the lead details sufficient for one battery.

Specifications of the rolled lead and the purity.

Specs and differing standard sizes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version