Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 1333 times)

Top shelf

Hello everyone!
« on: November 14, 2021, 03:53:08 PM »
Hi, I thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself. I'm 46 , live in southern ontario, plumber by trade but also work for a large electrical company.
I supervise luxury built homes but have extensively done almost every facet of home building for the last 27 years( plumbing , electrical, hvac, bricklaying, concrete, roofing, framing, insulating , radiant heating, etc).
I recently have become very interested in energy efficiency and have upped my knowledge game by doing intense research which led me to this site.
After lurking in the background ,i found there to be many less confrontational issues in the general membership here , so i decided to register so i could help others as i learn more myself.
I am new to the RE scene and  since my decision to move 6 hours north of my present location, off grid, i will definitely need a solid knowledge base for that lifestyle.
I will be going with solar electric, solar water heating, passive ground source cooling and rainwater/ snow catchment for the water source if groundwater/ creek water is not available.

I have already drawn up my rough blueprints for my 6-700 sq.ft home and am currently upcycling building materials for my new home from the teardown jobs i do at my current workplace( I'm running out of space to store this stuff!)

There seems to be a very friendly community with MANY knowledgeable people and a great assortment of topics.

Thank you for having me aboard!!

bigrockcandymountain

Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 06:00:46 PM »
Awesome to have you here.  I would love to see details on your super insulated building plans and off grid system.  It's more feasible than most people think and you are 10 steps ahead already having experience in building.

I'm in Saskatchewan and have a self built house and shop, both with 16" thick r60 walls etc.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 08:18:45 PM »
Welcome aboard.
Another Canuck?!
We must be doing something right.

I'd also love to see more of your plans.  I have a few napkin sketches of ideas for my next house, too...  always fun to crib notes from other folks.

if groundwater/ creek water is not available

If you haven't chosen a place yet, then it is still uncertain how much the features of the site will bear upon the design of the home and its energy supply/consumption.  Living outside the city myself, though on grid, I am still aware (and keenly thankful for) an excellent water well.  RE or not, factors like this drive the economics and maintenance labour of your home.

6-700 sq.ft home and am currently upcycling building materials for my new home from the teardown jobs i do at my current workplace( I'm running out of space to store this stuff!)

Unassembled, how many square feet does it take to store the materials for a house?  ;)
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

MagnetJuice

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 08:30:23 PM »
Welcome!

I have extensively done almost every facet of home building for the last 27 years( plumbing , electrical, hvac, bricklaying, concrete, roofing, framing, insulating , radiant heating, etc).

WOW!

Welcome aboard. We are here to help one another.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 03:04:35 AM »

After lurking in the background ,i found there to be many less confrontational issues in the general membership here , so i decided to register so i could help others as i learn more myself.

There seems to be a very friendly community with MANY knowledgeable people and a great assortment of topics.

Thank you for having me aboard!!

Yes, Welcome.

Lots of very intelligent and bright folk on this forum that have very real practical experience. 

Me? I am just a 'mad hatter'.  LOL.

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 08:57:17 AM »
Welcome aboard .

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 02:56:07 PM »
I seem to be late to the party, but a welcome from me too!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Top shelf

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 07:07:11 PM »
Hi again folks. Thank you for the kind welcome.
I will definitely try to get some pics up of my plans very soon. I think some of my ideas should pique some interest.
I grew up poor as a child so i had to make do with what i had ( including a stick (tree branch) that looked like a chainsaw that i pretended to chop down trees with,..lol), so i was forced into learning the art and science behind diy.

This led me to start in the speaker box construction area making car subs for my friends, which led eventually to custom sound reinforcement speaker  systems. Which then led to making cabinetry for kitchens / bathrooms. By the way sound is a HUGE field i studied since i was 15 and still feel inadequate when talking to the gurus on sound forums.

Either way i appreciate your kindness( it is sorely lacking in todays world), and i will start posting some pics and  stuff when i get a chance.
 :)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 08:54:19 PM »
Hi there :)

Just want to talk to infrastructure, for a moment. We (me and Flavio) have optimized our platform. Its great to hear good news. Flavio is an expert coder, and expertise has helped us tremendously.     

MagnetJuice

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 03:23:09 AM »
Another audiophile! That's good to know.

I have designed and built a few dozen pairs of Hi Fi speakers in my lifetime.

It is still one of my passions.

My best design is a four-way system.

Each stereo channel has 6 drivers, not counting the bass drivers. Each channel has two eight-inch drivers reproducing the frequencies from 80 to 700 Hz, then crossed over to a pair of 4-inch drivers crossed over to a pair of dome tweeters at 4.5Khz. One midrange and one tweeter fires to the back to be reflected from the wall. I do it that way because I like the sound of the Dahlquist DQ-20.

To reproduce the frequencies below 80 Hz, I use 15-inch drivers with a very low free air resonance of about 18 Hz. I don't like the bass reproduction from vented cabinets. I don't like the restrictions from acoustic suspension sealed cabinets either. My best sounding low frequency cabinets have been aperiodic designs. I like the very low frequencies to be powerful, punchy and fast, but not exaggerated.

With the aperiodic vent design, I can tune the lows exactly how I like it.

Now you got me itching to build a new system. Thanks a lot  :)

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 07:05:12 AM »
hello and welcome to Fieldlines. lots of very knowledgeable people here. i am in southern Ontario as well , Wasaga Beach .

Top shelf

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 12:26:25 PM »
Hi! Magnet Juice. Sounds like a sweeeet DYNAMIC system :).
I'm a horn guy mostly but my next set of  subs will be "C" type 6th(8th?) order boxes designed by MMJ from Paraflex designs using 18" B&C tbw100's.

Hey Electrondady1! , I'm  in midland for another 9 months then headed north. Nice to meet you guys.