Author Topic: Need help/ suggestions regarding iron core AFPMG.  (Read 6091 times)

MattM

Re: Need help/ suggestions regarding iron core AFPMG.
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2023, 07:43:53 AM »
On your original idea you had one magnet rotating in the c-gap.  Are you going to a new design now?

joestue

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2023, 11:48:04 AM »
C shaped iron cores, surrounding a rotating magnet can certainly work. usually what you do is wind each one separately and connect then in a concentrated pole design, such that there are a few less magnets than there are cores. for example, 12 cores and 10 magnets.

this is basically the same topology.

there was a company i can't find it, where they patented a method to use ferrite magnets and get useable torque out of the motor. what they did was use a trapezoidal shaped lamination stack (very easy to make), and wound 12 of them (or whatever number)

but instead of the ends being flat, and using a flat disk of neodymium magnets to get a useable 1T flux density in the laminations, what they did was cut the ends of the magnetic cores at a taper. so the magnets now could have twice or more of surface area as the cross sectional area of the lamination stack on which the windings are made.. and without the magnetic field flowing sideways through the core. (so from the center of the motor outward, each strip of steel gets wider, and longer)

the ferrite magnets were thus radial 3d wedges, sort of like that of a countersink drill bit.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

joestue

My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

MattM

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2023, 06:51:54 AM »
I like it.  More natural flow.

Probably not so great as a PMG.  Put alternating magnets on each end piece (e.g. Halbach array) and increase the number of poles, who knows.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 07:13:09 AM by MattM »

Aamir

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2023, 01:46:12 AM »
On your original idea you had one magnet rotating in the c-gap.  Are you going to a new design now?
MattM, I just wanted to confirm. My preference is a transverse flux generator with C-type thin sheet iron cores because, in my opinion, it's simple with many advantages.

Aamir

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2023, 02:27:37 AM »
C shaped iron cores, surrounding a rotating magnet can certainly work. usually what you do is wind each one separately and connect then in a concentrated pole design, such that there are a few less magnets than there are cores. for example, 12 cores and 10 magnets.

this is basically the same topology.

there was a company i can't find it, where they patented a method to use ferrite magnets and get useable torque out of the motor. what they did was use a trapezoidal shaped lamination stack (very easy to make), and wound 12 of them (or whatever number)

but instead of the ends being flat, and using a flat disk of neodymium magnets to get a useable 1T flux density in the laminations, what they did was cut the ends of the magnetic cores at a taper. so the magnets now could have twice or more of surface area as the cross sectional area of the lamination stack on which the windings are made.. and without the magnetic field flowing sideways through the core. (so from the center of the motor outward, each strip of steel gets wider, and longer)

the ferrite magnets were thus radial 3d wedges, sort of like that of a countersink drill bit.

Joestue, that's why I chose the transverse flux generator. Because of C-type iron cores, the steel disc for the rotor will be eliminated which reduces the weight and cost of the generator. I have found a guy with CNC and laser steel-cutting machines and he is willing to make any type of thin iron (0.5mm-1mm) cores for me.