Author Topic: Wind Simulator  (Read 828 times)

sr71p38

Wind Simulator
« on: December 09, 2021, 03:27:16 PM »
I am trying to find out if anyone in recent years has built a wind simulator.  I noticed that there were folks posting about this a while back but have not noticed any more recent ones.  This issue with the older ones is they seem to just stop before anyone talks about the testing or how they did it. 

I am looking to do some testing of a small wind turbine during the winter months so thought I would build a wind simulator in my garage to facilitate this since I live in a cold and often snowy area.  I have been putting them on my car but there are issues with that since it is an SUV and I get the cars' aerodynamics vs a more straight flow.  I looked at building a wind tunnel however the size would just not fit in my two-car garage. 

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Wind Simulator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 07:56:16 PM »
Hi
That's a deep rabbit hole. 
If this is just for fun and games, then whatever you want goes.
If you want a real aero engineer to take anything you measure seriously, you have a long shopping list of things to build. 
There's a lot of science, technology, and history to the development of wind tunnels if you want to dive in.  NACA published a ton of reports on how to do this well.  Yes, in the 1920's and 1930's but it's still the same air the dinosaurs were breathing.

Turbulence is your enemy.  Wind tunnels can easily magnify turbulence if you don't know how to avoid it.  Many people making a home-made wind tunnel make a bunch of fans blow AT the test subject.  This is wrong.  That puts so much turbulence on the test subject that the results are always nonsense.  Make the fans suck at the very end of the tunnel.

Walls are also a problem.  It's hard to imagine a wind tunnel without walls, but the perfect tunnel wouldn't have any walls at all.  Along each wall is a boundary layer of static air.  You can make the walls smooth but the flow velocity along the wall is still zero.  All you can really control is how thick the boundary layer is.  A few inches or a few feet.  It grows as you go farther through the tunnel.

If your test section is a meter across, the usable part of it is about 1/2 meter across.  If you've catered to the turbulence carefully enough.  Careful measurements of the flow velocity profile are needed to show that you have smooth flow.

The inlet can start you off on the wrong foot if it induces turbulence too.  A plain open tube has an edge where air entering the tube has to shear away from air not entering the tube.  To solve this, a "bellmouth" is added to the inlet.

The simplest home-made approach is to have a bank of fans as the exhaust.  From the back, in upwind order, is the test section, flow straighteners, plenum, and inlet bellmouth. 

With that for reference, see how much of this you really want to take on and decide how much effort is worth the results you want to get.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 11:07:09 PM »
The thing that gets me is the good quality of ads that dont pay out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei9rFjRT5_A

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 11:38:48 PM »
Kool & The Gang - Get Down On It (Official Video) - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qchPLaiKocI

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 12:24:06 AM »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 12:34:37 AM »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 08:38:14 AM »
hey thanks for cool and the gang . put a spring in  my step this morning

sr71p38

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 03:03:28 PM »
Sparweb,

thanks for the information on a wind tunnel.  I have worked with them in the past and actually worked to design one to test the wind generator but you are correct it just becomes an exercise in taking up way too much space, since you really need to get it just right to get enough speed.  I was looking at creating a wind wall, with some large fan blades, A/C compressor blades, since I have seen some similar things out there.  Wanted to ask since didn't want to recreate from scratch since my focus is on getting the wind turbine dialed in. 

Again thanks for the help.