Microcontrollers > Data Logging

Datalogger update

(1/7) > >>

SparWeb:
My datalogger has been ticking along for about 5 years happily.

With a refresh on the turbine, I also wanted to refresh the logger.

The biggest change is eliminating the extraneous current sensors.  When I first built it, I was ambitious and gave it the capacity for 4 current sensors, theorizing that I could monitor electric current being generated by solar and wind, and used by the inverter and diversion load simultaneously.  Later I realized that "ring" current sensors aren't good at measuring current that isn't continuous DC, and didn't bother.

So now it only needs 1 current sensor, wired directly to the box through a new connector.

It was also an opportunity to look through all the code (>500 lines) carefully and prune out stuff no longer needed.

Once that was done, I went for the "nice to have" feature that I've always wanted.  So now, in addition to just reporting measurements, the Arduino calculates the cumulative Watt-hours to display on the LCD.  I'm looking forward to watching that number grow and grow!

DamonHD:
Deleting obsolete stuff from code can be satisfying!

Rgds

Damon

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: DamonHD on December 22, 2021, 01:35:47 PM ---Deleting obsolete stuff from code can be satisfying!

Rgds

Damon

--- End quote ---

But only after you've made a triple check and triple backups .
HTML and notepad++ is my "friend" :-)

Bruce S

DamonHD:
Or a good version control system so that you can go back to any of the previous 42987 edits that you checked in over the last decade or two.

(Yes, that really is the live revision count for the repo that includes my earth.org.uk site for example: all manual commits.)

Oh, and a backup or two also, offsite!

Rgds

Damon

SparWeb:
A lot of the "prehensile" code got commented during my edits; still there but inactive.  The program ran a few times in the Arduino before those bits were wiped.
There's still a lot of commented code in it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version