Microcontrollers > Data Logging

Datalogger update

<< < (7/7)

SparWeb:
The info is there just for diagnostic and "try it and see" purposes.  Now that it's working, yeah, I really don't need to display that stuff any more.

Fortunately I live in such an isolated spot that it would be an extraordinary device that could both find, access, and break the encryption on my router, without driving up to my house in an obvious manner.  I can't see any of my neighbours' routers either.  Different story if I lived in the suburbs, I suppose.

SparWeb:
The Watt-hour display that I added to my data logger earlier this year has been a real treat to watch.

As the numbers counted upward, however, it started to look a little off...

That's when I realized I had underestimated just how much energy this turbine will produce, and how big the number will get.  While setting up this display item in the datalogger many months ago, I merrily set up the total Watt-hours to add up into the thousands.  Shouldn't that be plenty!? Well... no.  Now the numbers are overflowing the screen and scrunching out the "Wh" until only the "W" is visible.  In a couple of weeks it would tip over >100,000 Whr and then I wouldn't see the unit at all.

Time to face the music and update the logger to show KiloWattHours like it should.  Limited space on the screen so I kept it to "kWh" for short.  There is space for it to read up to "999.99" before overflowing its place on the screen.  Should take a year or two before that happens.

While editing the code, I noticed that I had made space for 4 digits on the RPM scale.  Umm that implies >1000 RPM which makes for very fast blades!  I wonder what I was thinking when I wrote that in the code (it would have been years ago).  Trimming down the display units to only 3 digits covers the entire safe range of speeds any WT should have.  And it made a bit more space for my sprawling kWhr values.

PS
If anyone is wondering why the 2nd picture says "STOP", that's a little snippet of code that stops the RPM from wandering around in very small values, or getting locked into the last speed measurement before actually stopping, which would leave it reading "12RPM" or something, while the blades are clearly not moving.  So anything less than 20 RPM just gets replaced with "STOP".
The OTHER question you might ask about that screen is why the current it "0.1A" when clearly the blades are stopped.  My current sensor isn't very accurate, and sensitive to temperature.  If I get it zero'ed on a warm day, it's not zero'ed on a cold day.

Bruce S:
I was only going to ask why the green instead of pretty blue  ;D. But those are good answers too.
 I was going to ask if the "STOP" meant the blades were in stop mode due to winds or a storm.

Cheers
Bruce S

SparWeb:

--- Quote ---I was going to ask if the "STOP" meant the blades were in stop mode due to winds or a storm.
--- End quote ---
Someday!
But not today, it doesn't mean that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version