Author Topic: Can anyone identify this turbine?  (Read 1074 times)

makenzie71

Can anyone identify this turbine?
« on: February 22, 2022, 06:36:31 PM »
I "think" it's an old Aerostar but I can't be certain because I've never actually seen one this size.  Blades are labeled 25kw.  Someone up in Washington is wanting to get rid of it.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Can anyone identify this turbine?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 12:15:41 AM »
Does the ad give you the diameter?  That would go a long way to narrow it down.

I don't think it's an Aerostar - they branded their name prominently and there isn't a nose cone; it's a ring like a parachute or whatever.  That's a distinguishing feature that should help you identify it.  Vergnet?
That said, I tried looking up alternatives and they don't resemble this any more than the Aerostar.  Modified Aerostar?

Paul Gipe's book has an appendix with dozens of WT's in it, many in this size range.  Some names you can chase down:
Vergnet
Aerocraft
Sunrise
Gaia
Kramer

The list in Gipe's book doesn't have pictures so I can't tell if some of these are even downwind 2-bladers or not.  But they are in the size range (10-15 meters).  I did some quick google searching and didn't turn up an obvious ringer for this one.  See if you have more luck...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 11:02:06 AM »
you gotta go buy that thing dude !!!

makenzie71

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 09:44:41 AM »
I would love to...he'd probably sell it for a song...but it's in Washington.  Too far of a road trip.  Awesome looking machine, though.  I was just trying to help him ID the thing.

OzSolar

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 11:40:03 PM »
It's a Carter.  Downwind machine.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 11:27:05 PM »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

OzSolar

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 07:39:47 PM »
You're most welcome.  Sorry I just logged in for the first time in a long time.