Author Topic: Free inverters going to good UK home!  (Read 1970 times)

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Free inverters going to good UK home!
« on: March 11, 2022, 12:28:21 PM »
Hi,

Several Santerno Sunway M Plus 4300 (3.62kw) inverters have been gathering dust in a London garage (not mine) for some years.

As my friend says:
... if you think that anyone you know, directly, or via Fieldlines would be interested, I’d be very grateful - I don’t want any money for them, just prefer to to have to pay to dump them as that would be rather an insult after the injury of having bought them, shipped all the way from Italy and have them clutter our garage for 10 years or so…

So, let me know if you might be able to put these to good use!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

mab

Re: Free inverters going to good UK home!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 01:24:24 PM »
Hi Damon,  i could certainty find a use for 1 or 2 on my ( off grid) system - i could probably find homes for all of them - eventually - how many is several?

Although, I’m guessing if they've been in a garage for 10 years they're probably not g98 /g99  compliant for new grid connected installations? Which would limit the options for new homes. I could harvest them for parts, but i don't like doing that with working devices.

Trouble is, I'm all the way over in west Wales which would mean a long drive in the diesel car to collect - but possibly better than them going to recycling whilst in working order?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 03:49:05 AM »
Hi,

In total there are five at the moment.

I don't know what the rules are for grid-connecting at-the-time compliant inverters.  I practice they should in fact be entirely safe and do what the grid needs them to, eg re anti-islanding.

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

mab

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 06:19:34 PM »
If you're replacing an old G83 inverter on an existing system then that's fine.

if your operating 'below the radar' as it were and were not planning on exporting significantly then they'll work fine, and if you already have a grid connected system back-feeding through the meter they aren't going to notice an occasional small extra backfeed.

On a small domestic system it probably isn't a big deal, but there was, a year or so back, that brief blackout in England somewhere which was started by a 500Mw fossil fuel plant shutting down unexpectedly, causing the local frequency to drop, then a new windfarm (also running about 500Mw) also shut down - and that caused the 'load shedding' blackouts to protect the grid. The issue with the windfarm was that it was still being built and they'd temporarily installed out-dated 2nd hand inverters to get some money rolling in. But the old G83 inverters shut down on grid under-frequency before the grid load-shedding threshold - which is the worst thing they could do of course, as the last thing you want to do with grid under-frequency is disconnect power sources. The wind farm got fined, although the real error is with the idiot who spec'd the G83 under-frequency disconnect Hz  > the grid load-shedding Hz.

Technically though, if you're going to connect microgeneration to the grid with the potential to export up to 16A (3.68kw) then you ought to notify the network operator by filling in their form and they do ask for the inverter details and will expect it to be G98/99 as they don't want any more G83 blackout hazzard types connected; if you want to connect anything >16A potential export you need their permission, and if you fit a system that has the potential for >16A but has a facility to limit export to <=16A then the limiting part needs to be G100.

I think.

I don't actually do grid connect renewables and am not 'MCS' certified, so I am not certain i've got it right.  ;D

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 04:36:18 AM »
All that makes sense to me.

And thanks for the nugget on the blackout causes.  I was reading the official reports and they were all quite coy.

If someone theoretically deployed one of these inverters but pushed all the parameters towards the new values, eg low freq drop-out at 47Hz, they aren't going to hurt the grid I suppose.  I think that all my G83 inverters, though more than 10 years old, have 'newer' settings like that.  However, if they have RoCoF settings, they are probably dated...

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

mab

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 03:27:33 PM »
I hadn't considered being able to tweak the parameters TBH; that could make things easier - although i suspect the DNO will still be looking for the appropriate G number for their paperwork - but they might be reasonable  :o

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 05:26:02 AM »
A couple of these units have now gone: any more for any more?

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Markcw

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 03:35:13 AM »
If you still have one spare It would be fantastic, was looking at installing solar on my garage roof this year .Damon

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 08:33:15 AM »
Send me a PM with an email address for you that I can pass on to the chap with the inverters, please.

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Markcw

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 11:37:20 PM »
Thanks Damon, have sent you an email, I also live in West Wales lol.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 09:50:44 AM »
Are we finding where the legendary inverters' graveyard is?   B^>

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

mab

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2022, 09:20:33 AM »
Don't know about graveyard - i tend to resurrect more than scrap them :) 

I haven't yet tried one of the two i got (thanks again!) Mostly because where i want the 1st one to go involves lugging it down a steep hill and due to the big transformer they are quite weighty. And work commitments keep getting in the way :(

Markcw

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 04:50:30 PM »
Hopefully I will be collecting one next week and will be dragging it back to west Wales , once again many thanks.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2022, 09:47:06 AM »
I think that we have now found happy homes for all the inverters!

Many thanks to GD for offering them up.

(thread locked)

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social