Author Topic: Small Scale DIY Solar Project  (Read 862 times)

Crockel

Small Scale DIY Solar Project
« on: March 21, 2022, 12:34:23 AM »
Is anyone else working on projects using junked small panels?
I had a solar powered electric fencer that had stopped working awhile ago. I figured it was the transformer that died, so I took it apart. Sure enough the battery still had power. I put the panel in the sun and was getting voltage from it. It did vary a lot which I thought was weird.
I figured that the garden shed my wife uses to store horse feed could use a light so we're not scrambling around looking for a flash light all the time. I found a rechargeable flashlight I had that never worked so I pulled that apart to use the light.
I wired the battery to the light tonight and got it working nice and bright, but the switch was broken and wouldn't shut off, so I need to figure out another switch. I'm also concerned that the battery voltage might be too high for the light. I saw some smoke but couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from. Nothing felt hot, so I figured it was because the light had never been used. Either way, I'll make sure there's nothing flammable near the light when I first use my contraption.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Small Scale DIY Solar Project
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 09:31:53 PM »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Crockel

Re: Small Scale DIY Solar Project
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 12:29:52 AM »
That's pretty impressive. 36 Volts should power an electric fencer pretty nicely and no need to run an extension cord.