Author Topic: The selforientating moment  (Read 656 times)

Adriaan Kragten

The selforientating moment
« on: March 30, 2022, 03:43:46 AM »
Recently I was contacted by a Duch guy who had a big 8 m diameter Chinese wind turbine which would not turn out of the wind. The reason was that the eccentricity was much too small for the given rotor diameter and the influence of the so called selforientating moment was therefore too large if compared to the moment caused by the rotor thrust.

The selforientating moment is not well known by designers of wind turbines with fast running rotors. I did some measurements in the wind tunnel very long ago. The selforientating moment can be made dimensionless and becomes Cso in the same way as it is also done for the torque coefficient Cq (see chapter 6, KD 35).

The selforientating moment is caused by the expanding wake. Lets take a 2-bladed rotor which is streamed under a yaw angle delta. One blade is pointing forwards and one blade is pointing backwards. The forwards pointing blade is in the part of the expanding wake were the wind speed is a little higher than for the backwards pointing blade. The angle in between the forwards pointing blade and the wind direction will also be a bit larger than the angle in between the backwards pointing blade because the wind direction makes a small angle with the axis of the wake. This results in a slightly larger component of the wind speed perpendicular to the blade. These two effects make that the thrust on the forwards pointing blade is larger than that on the backwards pointing blade and this makes that the rotor wants to turn back perpendicular to the wind.

In my public report KD 409, "Development of an ecliptic safety system with a torsion spring" I give the dimensionsless moment coefficients of the rotor thrust, the side force on the rotor, the selforientating moment and the final rotor moment CMrotor of all three moments together if the eccentricity is 10 % of the rotor diameter. The selforientating moment is given in figure 4. It can be seen that it has a maximum at delta = 30°. The calculated values are given in table 1 and in figure 5. In figure 5 it can be seen that CMrotor is reduced substantially by the selforientating moment, even if a very large eccentricity of 10 % is chosen.

The eccentricity should be at least 5 % of the rotor diameter but the Chinese wind turbine had an eccentricity of only 1.375 % of the rotor diameter. For this very small eccentricity, the self orientating moment becomes equal to the moment of the thrust already at a small yaw angle delta and this means that the rotor stays turning at this small yaw angle at high wind speeds. This is true for any safety system.

It is easier to describe the ecliptic safety system in KD 409 than the hinged side vane system used in my VIRYA windmills or the inclined hinge main vane system as used in the wind turbines of Hugh Piggott. This is because the hinge axis is in parallel to the tower axis and because for my description, both axis coincide. So the moment around the hinge axis becomes the same as around the tower axis. A torsion spring also gives a simple description of the spring moment. The fact that the vane arm makes an angle of 45° with the horizon makes that the vane blade is alway in the undisturbed wind speed. The makes it easier to calculate the aerodynamic force acting on the vane blade. All these simplifications make that the delta-V curve can be predicted (see chapter 8 figure 9). But if you study KD 409, you will see that still a lot of mathematics is needed to make the correct calculations.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 03:15:06 AM by Adriaan Kragten »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: The selforientating moment
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 08:33:14 PM »
Thank you
That's a very helpful observation.  It also has the power to explain why some WT's have a stronger self-orienting tendency than others.  I deduce from this, that if the WT is operating at a high Cp it will have a stronger self-orienting moment, and this is borne out by observations that I've made. It also sounds plausible that a WT rotor in a "runaway" mode may also have a high self-orienting moment because the thrust component of the aerodynamic load is high.

Let me throw in a little illustration just to make sure I picture this correctly...
The expanding wake makes the thrust force on any little square patch of the blade point a little bit away from the axis.
When running directly into the wind, the angle of one counteracts the angle of the other.

But when running at an angle of the wind, the blade pointing upwind is actually getting its surface better aligned to the angle of the wake.  Thrust on that blade is slightly increased.  The opposite happens to the blade trailing downwind, and it looses a bit of thrust.

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 04:45:56 AM »
In my explanation of the selforientating moment I give two reasons. The first reason is that the forwards pointing blade is in the part of the wake for which the wind speed is a bit higher than at the centre of the rotor and that the backwards pointing blade is in the part of the wake for which the wind speed is a bit lower than at the centre of the rotor. The second reason is that close to the blade tip, there is an angle in between the direction of the wind and the axis of the wake. This angle makes that the angle in between the wind direction and the blade is larger for the forwards pointing blade than for the backwards pointing blade. The component of the wind speed perpendicular to the blade is larger for a larger angle and this component determines the thrust. So the wind speed is higher and the component of the wind speed perpendicular to the blade is larger and therefore the thrust on the forwards pointing blade is larger than on the backwards pointing blade.

However, this is a simpified description of the phenomenon. In reality one has to follow a blade section during a full revolution and calculate the angles of attack at every position and calculate the corresponding lift and drag for every position. The summerised effect of all blade sections, all positions and all tip speed ratios should result in a selforientating moment. When I was working at the University of Technology Eindhoven, some students have tried this second methode but it was too complicated and they could not find an explanation for the selforientating moment this way. But this second way must give a more accurate description.

A problem with my simple way of explanation is that I don't talk about the real tip speed ratio with which the blade is running and about the type of airfoil which is used. I might be that the selforientating moment is larger for a rotor which is running unloaded than for a rotor which is running at the design tip speed ratio. I have measured the selforientating moment only for an unloaded 2-bladed rotor with tapered blades using a cambered airfoil. These measurements are given in the Dutch report R344D of the University of Technology Eindhoven of July 1978 but this report is no longer available. Later I found for a scale model that the unloaded selforientating moment is much smaller for an unloaded rotor if it has a normal airfoil with a flat lower side, like the Göttingen 623.

Another problem with my simple way of explanation is that I don't talk about the design tip speed ratio of the rotor. Measurements performed on slow running rotors of water pumping windmills have shown that there is almost no selforientating moment if the design tip speed ratio is lower than 2. This is the reason why slow running multi bladed rotors of traditional water pumping windmills can have a relatively small eccentricity and still turn out of the wind. But these rotors have a large side force acting in the rotor plane because of the large blade angles and this large side force can make that the rotor turns out of the wind too much at high wind speeds.

The selforientating moment is also present for a closed disk. In this case it is caused by an asymmetrical distribution of the pressure difference over the disk.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 06:25:12 AM by Adriaan Kragten »

PaulJ

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 05:44:44 AM »
Here's an old topic that touched on the subject:

https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,137909.0.html