Author Topic: PV & Wind log data  (Read 463 times)

kitestrings

PV & Wind log data
« on: April 14, 2022, 09:02:22 AM »
I was just looking at our log data for the last couple months.  The wind controllers go back further, but the PV charge controller (OB MX60) stores 60-days, so it is pretty easy to grab that much periodically.  Over the latest 64-day period we generated 512 kWh (81%) with our PV array, and another 122 kWh (19%) with the wind turbine; an average of just under 10 kWh/day.
14793-0

The solar array is 3.2 kW, and the turbine (a 15’ axial) regularly peaks at ~2.5-3.5 kW; the family is five and our load has certainly grown over the years.

We operate our system a bit differently than some, certainly differently than with a grid-tied system.  The wind could easily produce more, but I shut it down almost every night when I turn in – mostly because I can – and also on days when there’s ample solar.  This is a typical morning start up from the house:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tecGNiydJd8

I suppose we could heat more water, through load diversion, but I tend to think it is better to save the wear and tear, long term if we don’t need the turbine running.  As the days have gotten longer, this ends up being many days now through the summer period.  I also find the wind is generally better suited for bulk charging; the PV for the later stages of charging (absorb & float).  On days when there are both resources available, we may run the wind only until mid-day.  The controller will also shutdown the turbine if the input voltage goes above 117V, but that is not the norm.

In the late fall through winter period I enjoy seeing days, and nights, where the wind out performs the solar.  This is where the wind is most valuable to us.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: PV & Wind log data
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 05:44:14 PM »
Very nice.
I'm sure those solar numbers will climb much higher the next time to download a 2-month batch.

If I didn't have horses whose water needs to be heated over winter, your system would be just enough to meet the annual needs of my household of 2 (plus 1 who comes and goes).
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca