Author Topic: Generator  (Read 1022 times)

go4it

Generator
« on: June 17, 2022, 11:05:59 AM »
My neighbor is installing a system at her cottage and doesn't have a power transfer switch.  What is going to happen if she starts her generator and has power feeding from both her inverter and generator at the same time.  is something going to let out the magic smoke if inverter is not taken off line when the generator starts..

joestue

Re: Generator
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 02:32:56 PM »
Unless the inverter is intended for bi directions use, you should assume that it will blow up.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 04:54:20 PM »
It may also blow up all the appliances attached to the power. 

The short answer is dont do it.  Install some sort of interlock switch or just a good placard with instructions on what to shut down in what order.  My interlock is just a sliding piece of metal on the breaker panel that forces you turn off inverter power before powering up with generator power.  It cost nothing.

Hope that helps.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 07:28:27 PM »
Unless the inverter logic synchronizes output/throughput with grid/generator waveform it would be a one-time event... 

go4it

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 02:44:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply’s. i thought it wouldn’t be a good idea but I was hoping that maybe the inverter would have diodes in it to prevent power feed back.