Author Topic: Storm Yesterday  (Read 899 times)

kitestrings

Storm Yesterday
« on: July 22, 2022, 08:15:09 AM »
Yesterday afternoon we had just battened down things when the sky got dark enough to turn on the outside lights, and I could hear the hail hitting on the windows.  Winds were fierce, and debris started to land in the yard.  Fortunately no immediate damage here.  About 5-10 mins after it past, I got a tornado warning across my phone & PC - a bit late, but thanks.  Neighbors had golf ball-sized; ours was only ice-cubish.  We are not considered to be in a tornado regime, but there have been a couple confirmed in nearby towns in NH and one in VT this summer.  Whatever it is called, it is powerful.

We of course had the turn turbine furled/parked.  I'm so thankful to have this ability.  It's always humbling to experience these storms.

Photos don't do it justice, but here's one I snapped:
14924-0

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Storm Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 07:52:51 PM »
We had a bruiser come though in 2017 that literally peeled the potatoes in the field.
It also stripped the siding and roofing off of some neighbours' houses (put many holes in mine) so the insurance adjuster spent a few days in our neighbourhood.
No, photos don't do these storms justice.

PS; I've got thunder pounding my ears right now as I write this.  It's storm season in Alberta.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 12:45:50 PM »
Had a line of storms roll thru this morning... not enough rain but any helps... may get one more area blowing thru in the next hour... solar panels needed washing!

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 07:00:23 PM »
Careful what you wish for Mary!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 11:27:44 AM »
Those panels have survived a F1 tornado... more hail than I can count... so far his year 75mph peak winds...

I build stuff to last LOL friends all whine it is overkill but when they are repairing things my stuff is still standing.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 02:41:14 PM »
We down here in St Louis want to thank y'all for the lovely rain that started last night around 20:00 and is still coming down  ;D. We even set a new 24hr total that stood since 1915.
We did need the break in the 100+ heat and my rain barrels were down to only 25gals, but.
In this pic , those trees in the background? The bottom limbs are normally higher than the roof of my car  :)

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 10:56:54 PM »
I wish for what bruce got.  That looks lovely. 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 11:49:54 AM »
dry in SW MN... An inch of rain in the last month...

kitestrings

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 12:49:08 PM »
I guess I shouldn't be complaining, we've largely avoided these extremes.  Sorry to see this.  Hope all are safe.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 03:45:31 PM »
Here, luckily only 1 person perished.
We were happy to get the rain and get the 95F heat out of the way for the next few days.
More rain coming each day but nothing like that.

I am happy to report that all of my rain barrels are back full.  ;D

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard