Author Topic: Morningstar ts60 fault lights, plus On/Off (telecom) mode.  (Read 825 times)

danda

Morningstar ts60 fault lights, plus On/Off (telecom) mode.
« on: August 02, 2022, 04:01:44 PM »
I just purchased a brand new Morningstar TS60 off ebay.  It was an "open box" purchase, so i got a decent discount.  Unit received looks to be in perfect/new condition.  All knockouts were in place, so it doesn't appear to have been used.   However...

After installation, the unit is flashing Yellow/Red lights together and then the Green light.   (Y/R, G).  The manual states that this is an overload condition.

Details:

The charge controller is in Charge mode (dip switch 1 is down/off).

After 3 days of operation, the lights are still flashing in this sequence.

Pressing Reset button appears to do nothing.

Voltage is 48v nominal.    Array measured voltage is 61v.

The max charging amperage I've measured is 41 amps, which is well below the 60 amp rated current.  The lights flash even when amperage is much lower, eg 25 amps.   I haven't yet observed when it is super low, eg 5 amps.

There is a C40 mounted next to the ts60 that is handling a 2nd array of approx the same size, ie 41 amps max current.

Both controllers are mounted on top of a Trace 250 DC disconnect box.  Which is made for mounting two C40 on top.  Even still, they are only about an inch apart and I worry a bit about excessive heat.

As a test, I disconnected (turned off breaker) for the array that feeds the C40 for a few hours.  No change on the TS60.

The unit appears to be operating normally other than this LED alert.

Analysis:

I'm leaning towards the idea that I got a faulty unit (perhaps the reason for the open box), and my next moves should be to (a) call morningstar tech support and/or (b) return the controller to the ebay seller.

Also:

I would like to use the On/Off (telecom) mode of the controller which is supposed to generate less RFI.  The manual recommends against using it, citing "numerous advantages" of the regular PWM mode, but does not enumerate those or give any additional reasoning.   It seems to me that On/Off is doing the same thing, but just much slower, ie seconds rather than milliseconds., and I don't see much problem with that.

Questions: 

1. Has anyone seen this fault/error when the unit is way below rated current, or have any recommendation?

2. Does anyone have more info on the differences between regular PWM and On/Off mode?    What might be any "real" tradeoffs to using either mode?    Have you tried both, and what were your experiences?   Did you measure RFI or "dirty electricity" before and after?

danda

Re: Morningstar ts60 fault lights, plus On/Off (telecom) mode.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 05:07:12 PM »
Update:

I just checked the controller again and now it is cycling the sequence R,Y,G.  The manual says that this is either a "dip switch fault" or "self-test fault".

The DIP switches are set to:

1. off   (charge mode)
2, 3:  both on  (48v nominal)
4,5,6:  on, off, on  ( battery mode 6, 14.8 v)
7: off ( auto eq disabled)
8: off ( telecom mode disabled )

The controller is still charging happily.

One thing to note is that my battery is 48v (forklift battery 24-125-13), however presently 2 cells are dead/shorted, so it may look a bit funny to a controller with a lot of smarts.  The Trace c40 and SW inverters don't mind it though.

danda

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 05:16:49 PM »
Update:

After observing the R,Y,G sequence cycling for about 15 minutes I pressed the reset button and it immediately went back to the R/Y, G sequence, which the manual states indicates "overload - solar/load".   Current is about 35 amps.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 06:15:32 PM »
I haven't seen that problem.  I only have 1 and I don't ever really check it though.  It sounds like it might be a dud.  Does it get hot?

As to the on/off vs pwm, why are you wanting to switch? The battery doesn't care about dirty electricity, just sensitive electronics etc.  I would think you can go ahead and try it though. 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 12:30:53 PM »
Disconnect the solar then the battery for 15 minutes(this lets all residual charges drain inside the unit), then reconnect battery forst, et it go thru self test then connect the solar. Morningstars are fussy abut proper power sequence.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 01:31:23 AM »
I've got a TS60 and I have "made it mad" a few times.  Didn't break it thankfully.
I only use mine for wind, and it has a diversion load, so it's not the same as your solar hook-up.

That said...
Make sure to have all the DIP switches in the right position before you do the cable hookups.
Be careful when making connections that you do them in a reasonable order:
1) voltage sense ground
2) voltage sense positive
3) ground to battery
4) ground to solar
5) Positive to battery (the device should power up, and you might want to wait and watch diagnostics)
6) Positive to solar

The temp sensor is optional, but a good idea in a cold climate.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca