Author Topic: 'Making Wind Turbines, 3.7m diameter', Book.  (Read 965 times)

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
'Making Wind Turbines, 3.7m diameter', Book.
« on: September 18, 2022, 05:21:08 AM »
Another of our books becomes available, Making Wind Turbines, 3.7m diameter, Normandy, France.

Firstly, and I will say it again, we are NOT A COMMERCIAL BUISNESS. There is absolutely NO Financial gain in selling our books, so I just stick them on our Web sites with some write up and Paypal widgets.
My web site is not all glossy and full of marketing and sales hype, and I don’t keep messing with it and making it look slick, as I have said before my time is precious.

After 21 years of working on our Renewable Energy creation stuff, people across the World want further information on our projects. So I write up and small scale print stuff with loads of diagrams and colour photos. Printing is expensive so we ask for our printing and postage costs.

Making Wind Turbines, 3.7m diameter.
 ISBN 978-0-9935903-4-4
 A4 size publication with 28 pages, 7000 words and 123 colour photographs.

This is part of our main book that is being written at this moment, ‘Renewable Energy & Sustainability, 21 years of the ‘LE VIVRAY’ Project’. And it will be a large and very costly publication, so to keep costs down and yet get the information out there, this book publication is a small print run, and is just chapter 18 from 25 chapters of our main publication.

The ‘Making Wind Turbines’ book is our Empirical evidence-based story from 2007, there is NO armchair waffling, this book is about facts.
It follows our research, developments and manufacturing, with also Fiberglass blades manufacturing. It’s a wart’s and all, and also shows material failures, and our final conclusions in today’s World of 2022.

http://www.bryanhorology.com/wind-turbine-making-book.php

15007-0

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: 'Making Wind Turbines, 3.7m diameter', Book.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 12:38:36 AM »
Congratulations Bryan, on the latest publication!

Writing about your experience to share with others is such a rewarding thing, n'est-ce pas?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

clockmanFRA

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 02:35:50 AM »
Hiya SparWeb,

Yes it is important.

Because i have ISBN numbers means its registered across this planet in the Libaries data bases.

As you know the turbines are based on Hugh Piggotts wonderful, simple, robust design.

And 123 colour pics allways shows whats going on to those where English is not the first language.

Gosh,  who would have thought that i now have 4 publications of our projects in print.?

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 04:06:06 PM »
Another BRAVO from me!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 11:07:41 PM »
Your book looks great clockman.  I find myself wishing your story could be picked up by some mainstream news headlines.  There is so much crap being marketed as green these days that lots of people are starting to think that renewable energy is all some sort of scam. 

I know it works and works extremely well because I live with it every day just like you.  There aren't too many people that can say that though, and it seems like it is a story that needs to be told. With your meticulous record keeping and detailed pictures and explainations, you are well positioned to tell the story. 

Cheers to what you have accomplished so far. 

clockmanFRA

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 05:31:41 AM »
Thank you Damon, and thank you 'bigrockcandymountain' for your very kind comments.

And yes, it can be a very lonely life doing this true RE and sustainability stuff, especially today when as you say there is so much that is just poor quality and just scams.

As regards media folk, well that's another story, as I am not want they want. The TV presenters, news folk etc have a closed agenda,  and only want what they say. Book publishers see no profit in my books, Commercial RE companies see no excess profit in my products.

I have published a few little pages of information about setting up a basic solar/PV systems and the differing types,  because i am constantly asked, and i list manufactures that are Okay for now in 2022, my empirical evidence, and there are very few.

However, even putting up my list here would be very controversial and cause rumpus among forum members as differing countries have differing points of view.

I could allways send Sparweb a copy as a PM, and see what he thinks.   ????

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 08:52:02 AM »
ClockmanFRA;
Sorry , a bit late to the party. Congrats on the publishing!!

Having read your other works, I know this one will be a page turner too.

Cheers!!!
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

kitestrings

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 09:09:29 PM »
Congratulations!  While I hope it makes the best seller's list, I doubt that was your goal.  And, in the end it might be more satisfying to know that you are appreciated here, though few in numbers, loved and respected by friends and family, and true to your convictions.  We should all aspire such wealth.

clockmanFRA

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 01:32:20 AM »
Thank you 'Bruce' and yes another book for the collection.

The PLANTE battery  project is  still in progress, but this is breaking new grounds in so  many ways,  so its a gentle design and make,  experiment and test at  every stage of manufacture.

No complicated stuff and i am endeavouring to keep the making process as simple  as possible and without loads of complicated equipment.

Each 2v battery has 13 sheets of lead and that's 38kg of just lead sheet, then we need to cast the main  bus bars.

At the moment i have started using the hand roller to put those 0.5mm deep lines into the 13 lead sheets, each battery is 13 sheets, but i am  making a simple Jig to keep the roller process simple and accurate as each plate needs to be uniform in its matrix or one cell out of the 6 cells will be uneven in output of its ah.

So now the roller jig has to be thought out and yet simple for anyone to make. Its done, but needs testing over and over again, and that it stays where the roller is rolled. 13 sheets for one battery, 24 batteries for a 48v system, hmm that's 312 sheets need rolling accurately.

Actually its only the two end plates in each battery only need rolling on one side only so that's 288 times x 2 , both sides of each sheet giving the roller jig 576 times it will roll a side of lead for a 48v battery pack. So this roller jig is VERY important to get correct.

clockmanFRA

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 01:48:32 AM »
Thanks 'kitestrings.

Thats High praise indeed considering your work and lovely endeavours.

But like everything in to-days society nothing is simple and the officialdome allways throw spanners in the works.  the Latest is our French house insurance policy that is now following the rest of the EEC, and has demanded that our woodburner stove and its installation is up to the latest approved standards, and signed off by a a fully qualified installer/cleaner.

Without this certificate each year the French insurance companies will not insure our house. Yep couldn't make this  up, the sods.

I  am not  worried as  i installed this cast iron free standing wood burner stove about 16 years ago.  Its French with its serial numbers etc, and i did a Rolls Royce with the install with a proper regester plate,  double lined stainless steel flue etc etc. Any way a local old chimney sweep and his boy are coming the end of October to clean it and issue a certificate, yes i  have a good bottle of Scottish malt whisky ready for the guy. 

My french friends have worked out that most of France houses wont be insured this time next year, as most will just stick a finger in the air to the Insurance folk. What a world!,  what a world.!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 09:38:41 AM »
ClockmanFRA;
Sorry if this reply/ post leads us down another path.
I've been gleaning info from your endeavors with making the batteries.
I have LEAD(Pb) for making shot out in my shed that is specifically for making the "bizness end" for the two black-powder firearms I inherited (Rifle is a 50cal, pistol is 45cal), I do not have more than 30lbs ~13kls in various sized blobs.
I've also been making concise notes about Mary B's post on the LEAD(Pb) content of them. 
My home-made smelter is toast! Was only a proof-of-concept unit made out of what we call #10 Tin Cans. I am taking all the precautions possible it is LEAD(Pb).
My goals are to only attempt to build a couple of these to make up a 6V setup.
I too will be taking the long road to building these up. The concept is easy, the build isn't.

Cheers
Bruce S

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 12:44:49 PM »
Thank you 'Bruce' and yes another book for the collection.

The PLANTE battery  project is  still in progress, but this is breaking new grounds in so  many ways,  so its a gentle design and make,  experiment and test at  every stage of manufacture.

No complicated stuff and i am endeavouring to keep the making process as simple  as possible and without loads of complicated equipment.

Each 2v battery has 13 sheets of lead and that's 38kg of just lead sheet, then we need to cast the main  bus bars.

At the moment i have started using the hand roller to put those 0.5mm deep lines into the 13 lead sheets, each battery is 13 sheets, but i am  making a simple Jig to keep the roller process simple and accurate as each plate needs to be uniform in its matrix or one cell out of the 6 cells will be uneven in output of its ah.

So now the roller jig has to be thought out and yet simple for anyone to make. Its done, but needs testing over and over again, and that it stays where the roller is rolled. 13 sheets for one battery, 24 batteries for a 48v system, hmm that's 312 sheets need rolling accurately.

Actually its only the two end plates in each battery only need rolling on one side only so that's 288 times x 2 , both sides of each sheet giving the roller jig 576 times it will roll a side of lead for a 48v battery pack. So this roller jig is VERY important to get correct.

I wonder if you could make a jig to use in a shop press... metal bars set in a heavy wood block or welded to a steel plate, a steel bottom plate with a lip to stop the block at the same height each time... Just thinking out loud how to make it easy and uniform. Once you have the press plated replacing a plate or adding more batteries is easier. Plus the local community could use it.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 12:55:33 PM »
ClockmanFRA;
Sorry if this reply/ post leads us down another path.
I've been gleaning info from your endeavors with making the batteries.
I have LEAD(Pb) for making shot out in my shed that is specifically for making the "bizness end" for the two black-powder firearms I inherited (Rifle is a 50cal, pistol is 45cal), I do not have more than 30lbs ~13kls in various sized blobs.
I've also been making concise notes about Mary B's post on the LEAD(Pb) content of them. 
My home-made smelter is toast! Was only a proof-of-concept unit made out of what we call #10 Tin Cans. I am taking all the precautions possible it is LEAD(Pb).
My goals are to only attempt to build a couple of these to make up a 6V setup.
I too will be taking the long road to building these up. The concept is easy, the build isn't.

Cheers
Bruce S

Smelting lead is safe, just stay away from modern batteries(lead is not pure...). Watch your temps and don't overheat and you only have fumes from impurities burning off. I smelt old wheel weights and make sure the wind is blowing away from the house and myself. Lot of grease, road grime, possible asbestos from brake pads etc. Stuff you do not want to breath in as it burns. Stick n wheel weights used on aluminum/magnesium rims are pure lead, clip on can vary a bit in content  from no tin to .5%, 2% antimony(modern weights this is higher), 97.5% lead. Modern weights I think are 3% antimony and 97% lead...

From http://www.lasc.us/castbulletalloy.htm Salvaged battery lead should be avoided at all costs. Since the advent of the maintenance free battery the lead content has been reduced and elements such as strontium, calcium and others have been added. Most of these elements cast very poorly, ruin a pot of good alloy they are blended with and are extremely toxic.

That link has a chart showing lead composition of various sources of salvage lead. If you can find a hospital remodeling their x-ray room the lead sheeting from the walls is very pure 99.99% lead but a real smelly mess to smelt as glue, bits of drywall etc burn off

Pure lead is not toxic, lead oxides are. Keep smelting temps just above the melting point to form as few oxides as possible. Use a flux(bees wax works very well, a marble sized piece is plenty in a 20 pound smelter) to form the oxides back into the smelt instead of skimming them off.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 01:15:38 PM »
ClockmanFRA;
IF this goes too far off content , let me know and I will STOP.

Mary B;
Thank you ! Thank you!! Thank you!!!
I was hoping you would chime in, I found the information you posted earlier most helpful.
Wheel weights I can get by the buckets full. We have two full service auto-repair shops a block away and are happy for me to cart them away about once a month, keeps them from paying a recycler.

My father-in-law had a PHD in chem so I gleaned from him as much as possible. I actually inherited both fire arms from him.

Bruce S