Author Topic: electronic enhancement of PV performance  (Read 1108 times)

fepps

electronic enhancement of PV performance
« on: September 23, 2022, 02:00:20 PM »
Hi All,

I hope you can bear with me while I discuss some speculative and somewhat half baked ideas for improving PV performance. Some of these concepts have been tested, some are from patents, and some are just from my own brain. When I worked for a tech company about 6 years ago I was tasked with reviewing the patent literature to find any ways that PV and thermoelectric performance could be improved electronically. I found considerable material in both areas. I'm starting to discuss some of the thermo stuff in the newbie section, but it seemed more appropriate to put the PV stuff here. In this post I'll only talk about what might be called 'parametric' utilization.

1) The C of a solar cell varies widely near the maximum voltage, and less so at lower voltages. This principle was used in a patent in the 50s, assigned to the Navy as I recall, that made a solar cell into a parametric oscillator for power transfer at a distance. A light beam of oscillating intensity was fixed on a solar cell in a balloon or perhaps satellite. The solar cell was part of a circuit tuned to twice the oscillation frequency, and the variation of C of the solar cell drove parametric oscillations in the tuned circuit, whereby power could be generated to run sensors or such. A rotating mirror near a solar panel would create variations of C in the panel, and a tuned circuit associated with the panel could tap these parametric oscillations. The AC would be isolated from the DC output. The output of parametric oscillators with a fixed C variation is dependent on the oscillation frequency, so the faster the mirror rotated the more power would be generated.

2) The capacitance of the panel varies with ambient light and temperature changes even at night, so panels not connected to controllers could be charged as capacitors when their C was high, and then discharged into a load or storage when the C dropped. A sensor cell connected to a capacitance bridge or or other C measuring setup would determine when the C of the panel was changing to control the charge/discharge circuit. In this case, the output power depends on the level and number of C changes, as well as how much charge is put on the cells in each cycle. Such devices were used, with pyroelectric capacitors rather solar cells, in the 50s to power ocean buoy transmitters and such. (the 50s were the true age of weird technology!)

3) Finally the C of the panel can be actively changed electronically, to generate additional energy. In this case one group of cells is switched in and out of series with another group to create the C changes, and these are then picked up by a circuit tuned to the switching frequency, or more ideally twice that frequency, as the harmonic usually has more power in parametric circuits. This is the most speculative idea since I haven't seen this in print or in a patent.

Although these technologies may seem strange, they are completely conventional, although not used much outside of low noise amplifiers for radio telescopes, optical fiber amplifiers, and other esoteric devices. There's no reason why the principles couldn't be applied to PV.

The next installment will be about using the PV cell as a charge storage device rather than a current generator.

Fred

OperaHouse

Re: electronic enhancement of PV performance
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 08:59:25 AM »
And what exactly is C. I already have too much to guess about.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 12:46:03 PM »
C in electronic speak is capacitance. I don't see it generating that much power.

fepps

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 01:28:05 PM »
Hi Mary,

Number 1 CAN generate considerable power, but in order to do that the light hitting the panel would have to be interrupted or varied at >Mhz frequencies which isn't doable with a rotating mirror--you'd have to use some sort of electro-optical shutter which would have to be powered.  A very small C change can generate power if done at a high enough frequency. This one has been patented in several different forms.

I don't have any real sense of how much power number 2 would give-- a lot would depend on how wide the C varies at night, how often it varies, and how much charge could be loaded into the panels into each cycle. But any energy you get is above and beyond the daytime output, and relatively easy to do. Number 3 has the potential to be more like number 1 since you can switch the panels in and out at those rates, but there are a lot of problems in doing that while they are gathering DC power.

The other items on my list are related to reducing resistive losses in the panels, so are energy saving, not power increasing.

Fred

OperaHouse

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 10:22:30 AM »
If you make the wind spin a mirror, it would be better to harness that energy directly. Might as well make a barometric capacitor. Years ago, there was a short term craze of putting capacitors every 25 feet in a long line from a panel. Take the loss now or later.

Looking at old stuff can have its uses.  Lord Kelvin may become better known for his ground breaking work in the mathematics of knot theory as it relates to cyber security. Many knots are not knots at all.

fepps

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 01:20:09 PM »
Hi OperaHouse,

In order to tap parametric oscillations the mirror has to be rotated in synch and at frequency with a tuned circuit, so using the wind wouldn't work for that.

Yes, barometric variable capacitors have been created for power, although I don't know if they've ever been used.

I'm sure you're familiar with acoustic/piezoelectric wind generators-- these also could be tapped 'parametrically' as well as through direct voltage.

What was the reason for putting capacitors every 25 feet from a panel? I can't imagine.

There are plenty of old technologies that have never really been used. It's extremely interesting to start at the beginning of a patent class and go through the patents one by one. I do it for fun.

Funny thing, just yesterday I was looking at papers by Lord Kelvin on knots in the 'aether'. He and many other noted scientists believed the aether was composed of vortices.

Fred

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 01:24:58 PM »
I am a firm believer in reliability... and that is best achieved with the K.I.S.S. method! Keep it simple stupid! More complicated something gets the higher the chance of failure. Why my panels are fixed. A tracker could net me more power... but it introduces a moving component in my extreme winds. A moving component that WILL break. I have a broken antennas rotor right now as a perfect example. 10 years of use and now it will not turn! Suspect a gear is sheared off the shaft.

OperaHouse

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 02:25:20 PM »
Think we could all learn a lot from Lord Kelvin, stick to simple technology like a thermometer.

I used to work at a place where millions were spent and never produced anything that actually worked. In like 1970 the IEEE award for most innovative use for a microprocessor was the microprocessor toilet. That only took 40 years.

fepps

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 06:27:45 PM »
Hi Mary,

Yes, I fully agree that simple is best. The places I worked for consistently went for the more complicated idea, which usually had a lot of bells and whistles. You need only to look at an Iphone to see how engineers can waste their time improving things so they can sell people a new one every year. If these companies had devoted as much time to solving basic problems of society, think where we would be now.

I realize I'd gotten off track with my parametric stuff, working off an old sheet from my job. I'm going to focus on the one idea that I think has the most potential, and as it happens, one of the simplest. Gotta do a workup first.

Fred