Author Topic: Fall Maintenance  (Read 838 times)

kitestrings

Fall Maintenance
« on: October 04, 2022, 10:29:27 AM »
Friday looked to be the best day I could hope for in the extended forecast; cold in the morning, warming to low 60'sF, but most importantly, almost no wind.  I had a few things on my list before winter:

1)   General look, see, inspection
2)   Grease and lube the tail hinge
3)   Grease the yaw
4)   Replace the furling sheave, and shift the pull-line (where worn)

Here's the new sheave with that little rain-boot that I made for it.  The modified sheave has a metal pulley with a sealed bearing.
15042-0

15043-1

On the inspection, there were no big surprises I’d say, save for one…

As I made my way down the tower, I’m in the habit of always checking over the blades and at the tip I noticed an ever so little end-play.  It was barely noticeable and not detectable at all at the hub, but it was there.  I sweat this stuff way too much, but I didn’t like it, so I decided right then to retighten the bearing.  It sounds simple enough, but the blades have to come off to access the hub, and this is a significant task for one person on the tower.  Removing, hanging the blades... a drop would ruin the day.
15044-2

15045-3

I took my time, and it all went well.  End-play is gone.  It’s getting pretty up here.
15046-4

15047-5

15048-6

More on the furling sheave
https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,150352.msg1055586.html#msg1055586

More on our power furling design
https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,150450.msg1057226.html#msg1057226

topspeed

Re: Fall Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 11:01:41 AM »
Awesome...how tall is the mast/tower ?

100 ft ?
These wind turbines must for that reason in a deeper sense be of a timeless beauty, so that they do not in three or four decades hence burden a later generation with a heavy task of removing angular skeletons.....

Ulrich Hütter

Aerodynamics is highly educated guessing, worked out to 5 decimals

kitestrings

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 11:46:37 AM »
86'

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 01:57:56 PM »
Good catch on the end play!! That little bit could've ended up being a big deal come those noer'east'ers!

Nice view too, I would've gotten caught up in just looking at the views.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 05:11:47 PM »
My palms are sweaty just looking at your pictures, but good job!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 12:19:22 AM »
Ah vertigo is your friend, I see.

Just hanging there while you tighten the hub nut?  Isn't that about 50 foot-pounds of torque?? 
What exactly are you torquing against, since the rotor is free turning?  You must have brought a second breaker bar with you.
I'm also trying to picture the human body aspect while roped onto the top of a tower.  Did I mention vertigo yet??
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

OperaHouse

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 10:56:08 AM »
Those garage windows, real northeast style, put them anyway that fits. I'm packing up now. It is cold, rainy we both have colds and no heat sleeping with four down comforters. I should have left a week ago. I worked on one of those Japan nuclear plants the tsunami hit and climbed the off gas tower one Sunday. They only had a sign do not climb. This spiral little staircase only attached at one end. I swear my hand prints are still on it. No safety rope. Learned heights are not my thing. 

kitestrings

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 01:43:15 PM »
I’ve always been of the opinion that anything you can do on the ground, can be done on the tower.  It’s mostly mind over matter.  I think I enjoy the focus it requires.  I’ll concede it takes longer - this was just over 4-hours - and having everything you need if you are packing can be a challenge.  The bigger challenge in this work is rotating the blades without a gin pole.  They pretty much have to go on one at a time in the (downward) vertical position.  This means you need some means of a rotor lock, and I highly recommend one for maintenance work.  In our case it is just a set of two coupler nuts that I thread on to the backside of the rotor.  They stick out just enough to lock against the stator bracket, and with two, you can walk the thing up, or down, in stages.

These are the threaded ends (4 of them):

I think you can see one in use here; helpful when ultimately you need two rotated up at 60 degs off vertical, right:
15053-1

Timken recommends between .001-.005 end play.  Their procedure is to:
torque to 50’# while rotating,
loosen one full turn
continue spinning and torque to 10’#
back off 1/6 to ¼ turn

The spindle is fixed with respect to the tower, so from a horizontal position your just pulling down.  It’s pretty simple.

I didn’t mess with any of this on this round.  I found that two flats was tight to where there was noticeable pre-load and some restriction; one flat was “just right”.  A lot of work for one flat, but if it keeps it quieter and prolongs the bearing life, I think it will be worth it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 02:24:45 PM by kitestrings »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 02:07:12 PM »
I remember watching a video of Paul W0AIH walking out on one of these antenna booms to replace a bad element... think it was an antenna they no longer have up... ice storm took it out. First pic is that antenna, he had to walk out to replace an element at the tip! He literally walked on top of that horizontal tower section!

He died in a tower accident, rigging rope snapped. This is a reminder to test your climbing gear!!!!! Paul was fearless when it came to climbing, he helped me remove a tower after a friend died, that is the second pic. I was ground crew, I do NOT climb!

I helped design this antenna stack and helped design the tower. The top stub tower rotated inside the 36" wide face bottom tower and is 2 sections of Rohn 45 guyed tower... LOT of wind load here! These pics are a collage from when we took it down after Jim died. His wife wanted it gone, no reminders...

kitestrings

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 02:30:49 PM »
Sorry to hear of your friend.  There is risk, and any oversight can be unforgiving.  I remember a couple of fatalities when I was involved in this work.  One was the designer of a home-scale turbine.  He was reportedly killed trying to shut down a turbine in high winds (I think it shed a blade).  The other was a large communication tower that collapsed in construction.

kitestrings

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 03:51:09 PM »
His name was Terry Mehrkam for anyone who might remember a turbine by the same name.  It was 40 kW.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 02:00:05 PM »
Hams die in tower accidents all to often... especially as they get older... all my tower safety gear has a last inspected tag on it as a reminder to check it all over and test what needs testing. Prime example is I just pulled out my gear lifting ropes/buckets and noticed the ropes are all 5 years old. Due for replacement so I picked up some new ones. I don't need a bucket full of tools coming off the rope and landing on my head! Bucket plastic was brittle so grabbed a new one. Climbing belt is expired and needs replacing but we aren't using it.

Using a man lift and a deer hunting fall arrest harness in the man basket. No need to have climbing clip in belts in the way plus a climbing harness is a lot more restrictive. The deer hunting fall arrest harness allows more movement and you clip in from the back so in a fall you hang with your weight on your butt.

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2022, 04:31:29 PM »
Looks like a really well built machine would love to see a video or two of it running, cheers.