Author Topic: Mono Pump  (Read 742 times)

ruddycrazy

Mono Pump
« on: October 08, 2022, 03:15:45 AM »
G'day Guy's,

At work this morning I saw a 3 phase 1/8th HP Mono Pump and as the company was hacked last year all the stock in the yard is off the books and a new South African has taken over every item needs to be haggled.

The spec's say 28 metre head 11 litres a minute so my idea is to offer some of my moonshine and get this pump so I can fit a 50 volt DC motor to it and get it running off a solar panel. Then I can use this old water alarm device hooked up to a DC motor to see what power I can get.

Eh when you work a 6 day week one seems to come up with idea's as the weeks go bye they do seem to better.

So use solar to pump water up the hill and power an old highrise alarm to make power

Outlandish or feasible.

Cheers Bryan

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Mono Pump
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 01:13:00 AM »
We've all heard of pumped water to store energy, and your pump seems a feasible two-way pump/generator idea.  Not outlandish to my eyes.
You won't have a pump-curve for this old pump on fire sale, so you won't know ahead of time if it can even take 30 L/min or be run backwards for that matter.
Bit of a risk (unless your moonshine isn't that good and you're happy to part with it anyway).

Figuring the motor/pump combination is probably only 50% efficient, then running at 100 Watts will do 50 Watts of work pumping the water.  Then when the water comes back down it will be a 50Watt supply being converted back into electricity by a 50% efficient generator, getting you 25 Watts of electricity.  I'm sure you can make the system more efficient than that, but on day 1 when it's first put together just to see that it does work, that's what I'd expect.

The head at your tank isn't likely to be 28 meters, so for a more modest 10 meter high header tank, you will need to flow 30 liters per minute to get your 50 Watts back.  You may need a bigger pipe for the trip down than the trip up.  Or just really oversize one pipe for both up and down.  There will be a volume trapped in the pipe but maybe that won't matter.  It all comes down in the end. 

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca