Author Topic: Missouri Wind PMA  (Read 1001 times)

makenzie71

Missouri Wind PMA
« on: February 03, 2023, 10:08:29 PM »
It's a "Freedom" 1600 or 1500 or some other unrealistic "xx00" PMA.  I've seen it do close to 1000w in a storm but to be fair it had one of their american eagle jet fighter material rotors on it with as many blades crammed on as possible.  I'd actually bet a dollar it'd be a decent 500w generator with three blades.  Asking $150 shipped to the continental US.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Missouri Wind PMA
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 10:43:29 PM »
What do you think an adequate tower height would be for that. Im thinking a near city installation its a kind of rural area. It seems small enough I could hide it where I want to put it up. I would build a battery box at the base of the tower and transmit 120 VAC under ground to my use. I have a commercial dehumidifier9runs on 120vac I could run in the box with the inverter. Now if I could get a true sinewave 3000 watt inverter(in know it would not produce that much power, but I figure a bigger inverter would run cooler) for cheap. Hell for something like this a regular 3000 watt inverter would do. Maybe a smaller inverter would be better. The dehumidifier is like the size of a auto shop battery charger with 2 wheels maybe to big also. I remember discussion on here that you could just use 12vdc to transmit to the use and its not a big deal for such an application. Im on 7 acres. the footprint for this would be about an acre and a half.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 10:59:23 PM by JW »

makenzie71

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 12:16:44 AM »
What do you think an adequate tower height would be for that. Im thinking a near city installation its a kind of rural area. It seems small enough I could hide it where I want to put it up. I would build a battery box at the base of the tower and transmit 120 VAC under ground to my use. I have a commercial dehumidifier9runs on 120vac I could run in the box with the inverter. Now if I could get a true sinewave 3000 watt inverter(in know it would not produce that much power, but I figure a bigger inverter would run cooler) for cheap. Hell for something like this a regular 3000 watt inverter would do. Maybe a smaller inverter would be better. The dehumidifier is like the size of a auto shop battery charger with 2 wheels maybe to big also. I remember discussion on here that you could just use 12vdc to transmit to the use and its not a big deal for such an application. Im on 7 acres. the footprint for this would be about an acre and a half.

It'd really depend on your area and limitations...for example I'm not suppose to go above 40ft.  Higher is almost always better, but if there's no structures or trees or anything within a hundred yards or so it really doesn't need to be very high.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 11:52:15 AM »

Start by checking your zoning laws... most US counties passed a stupid no wind turbines without a permit, environmental study etc etc etc, lot of red tape.

Need average winds of 18mph+++ for that thing to produce much... it needs to turn FAST. as in 500+ rpm... this is the curve on one of their modified car alternators. Where I am it would probably produce ~200 watts and I see 18mph winds on average and in winter 20-30 for days is common...

makenzie71

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 12:07:46 PM »
Need average winds of 18mph+++ for that thing to produce much... it needs to turn FAST. as in 500+ rpm... this is the curve on one of their modified car alternators. Where I am it would probably produce ~200 watts and I see 18mph winds on average and in winter 20-30 for days is common...

My own graph below comparing it to my other turbines over the course of a day.  It is not a powerful turbine, but could probably keep a single battery topped off assuming it's not under a high load itself.  Missouri's "1600w" claim is ridiculous unless it's in a hurricane lol.

This was with a seven blade 52" rotor.  Would have performed better with three blades I'm certain.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mhBvUMaf8iUoDOT7XsIBsBkS1FH4KfXg/view

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 11:47:07 AM »
So tempting but I already have 4 ham radio towers LOL don't want to push my luck!