Author Topic: Windows 98 need an expert.  (Read 1047 times)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Windows 98 need an expert.
« on: February 06, 2023, 08:11:22 PM »
I have an old windows 98 machine (its a sony)

I have software that I need already installed on this machine. I need it for work. I have been messing with it all last week and have got it working. problem is that I need to print invoices for work. They are estimates. I was trying to update my printer drivers. Now for some reason its asking for a password. How do I get past this does anyone have a CD that will get around this?

Talk to me.

MagnetJuice

Re: Windows 98 need an expert.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 08:23:32 PM »
JW, I called an expert, and this is what he said,

You need to go into the bios setup, security, and clear all passwords.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 08:37:57 PM »
I was in the BIOS a while ago but I was moving so fast with what I was doing I have this is I can get into bios

I had some code but cant find it now. I think im to tired to do this now. Been a rough day.

Im working on this Hyundai for a nice customer that Ive had for years. You cant open the drivers door from the outside handle. I hate for her to have to open it from the pass side if the windows rolled up. You wouldnt believe what I encountered when I took the door panel off. I refuse to quit I will get this tomorrow.

I was working on the transmission today and lucky made it out of that one alive. The fluid was black as hell and the car was already doing funny stuff, thats straightened out now.  This thing has a 6 speed automatic its very advanced the ATF is stored in two places, I saw part of it and said not messing with that part.. If I can get the door working right I will be happy.

Then Thank god I called the right lock smith. I need a beer.

*recently edited 2-

MagnetJuice

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 08:44:04 PM »
Another thing you can do is remove the motherboard battery for 5 minutes, then put it back.

Have the beer first.   :D
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 08:52:24 PM »
Another thing you can do is remove the motherboard battery for 5 minutes, then put it back.

Ya its funny you mention that I just put a new one in today. Try that tomorrow.

MattM

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 06:14:56 AM »
The password in win98 is meaningless.  Did you try to not enter one?  Doesn't work?  Hit cancel and add a new user.  Problem solved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVL8_ne4WZo

makenzie71

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 07:12:10 AM »
Getting a windows 98 machine to work with a modern printer is going to be hard...no one makes drivers for them.  Getting an old printer to work is going to have a problem because no one makes ink for them.  You could possibly work out a dot matrix printer, they're still out there and considered workhorses for a lot of fields, but seems overkill for what you're doing.

Will it let you save the file locally?  What kind of extension does it save as if so?  Your best bet here would be saving the file locally and then moving it to a modern machine to print via a USB thumb drive.

As for the password issue...where is it asking you for a password?  Like when you log onto windows or is it happening when you perform some action after windows has launched?

You are aware that connecting this machine to the internet in any way is inherently risky, right?

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 07:56:23 AM »

Quote from: makenzie71
You are aware that connecting this machine to the internet in any way is inherently risky, right?

:)  I am now. I had solved the problem with the printer a while back. Its an old printer using a parallel port, believe it or not the old printer cartridges are available at Staples.

Heres the latest, Windows fixed alot of these password bugs with Windows 98 Professional thats what Im running. This whole time before it never asked for a password. I have the win98 pro CD in trying to resolve this password issue I used the repair function booting from the CD. Well it repaired it and made the password work again.

Were dealing with win98 pro everything is different when it comes to standard win 98. I have a good job on a Jeep coming in on thursday. I guess I will be hand writing estimates for now. Months back I had a customer return to me and demand a printed invoice I was able to do that at the time and it was no problem. Recently I got the thing into safe mode problem is its still asking for a password. 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 12:07:33 PM »
quick search turned up this

In Win98, you can reset your password by doing the following:

1)  At the Windows Password Prompt, hit cancel.
2)  Once Windows has finished loading, go to Start->Find Files and Folders.
3)  Type *.pwl in the Named field.  Make sure "Look In:" says C: and click Find Now.  Delete the PWL file that has your username.
4)  Restart Windows.
5)  Enter the same Username you've been using at the Windows Logon prompt along with what you want your password to be.

Windows should log you on and remember this password.  Post back if this doesn't work...

CAVEAT any other passwords on the system may be wiped...

better is use your win 98 CD/rescue disc(if you have it...) in \TOOLS\RESKIT run pwledit...

been a long time since I did any 98 so that is a fuzzy area...

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 12:52:40 PM »

None of those options are available there is no cancel button. The only way Im going to be able to recover this computer in with a physical CD I spent 40 bucks today I cant even get the software to download on this computer (which should be fine) im so sick of this. I give up... its been a number of days trying to resolve this.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 02:49:06 PM »
JW
IF you have another computer and a blank CD USB is preferable if the old computer can boot from a USB , you can easily build a boot-able CD and load a computer tool known as Ventoy , you should be able to google it for download sites.
It has a password reset function in it. It WILL NOT tell you want the current password is, but allows you to merely change it.

We have it here as a recovery tool and it has never failed us, even with Secure boot enabled on the newer computers.

Hope this helps
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

MattM

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 08:59:03 PM »
Download a self-booting linux iso, burn it to CD, and use that to boot so you can rename your pwl file.  Its using FAT file system, which linux can write over files without any issues.  Most of the distros have it down where a zero experience user can navigate the UI in Gnome or KDE.  The popular distros you should have no problems finding are elementary OS, Mint, OpenSuSE, and Ubuntu.