Author Topic: Battery discharge monitor time delay max recommended time  (Read 1164 times)

fabieville

Battery discharge monitor time delay max recommended time
« on: February 21, 2023, 05:13:35 AM »
I have a battery discharge monitor with time delay that protects my deep cycle lead acid battery from deep discharges.  I have it set to 50% battery cut off with a time delay of 60secs when means that whenever the battery reaches 50%,  if it remains at 50% or below  for 60secs or then the relay cuts off the load from the battery.

What i want to know is the recommended time delay that i should use. I currently have it set to 60secs but i am not sure if that is too much or if i can push the delay time higher without affecting the lifespan of the battery?

What is the max delay time i can use without negatively affecting  the battery lifespan?

Also please tell me the recommended time delay for lithium lifepo4 cells also.

Thanks in advance.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Battery discharge monitor time delay max recommended time
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 07:27:19 AM »
I have a slightly different approach because I am running relatively small loads and some for a long time without break.

I adjust the cutoff point for the non-essential load(s) depending on temperature etc so that I should always have enough juice (need never go below 50% SoC even after several days) for the essential load which is small but 24x7 and has been for more than a decade.

I have a ladder of loads in software and hardware, and in come cases the ones further away from 50% SoC are allowed to "ride through" a dip for 10 or 20 minutes.

But I never allow dropping below ~50% SoC (temperarature adjusted).

Rgds

Damon
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 08:17:58 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

fabieville

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 03:54:17 AM »
Reading the comment i still don't know whats the max delay time i can use when the battery reaches 50% or below 50%. Just give me a time frame please so i can set the delay time for my cutoff circuit please and thanks.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 05:47:06 AM »
Any timing will depend on the size of your load compared to the battery, your battery construction eg gel vs flooded, etc, the depth of overdischarge you anticipate, how often you expect this to happen, and how much accrued damage you can accept.  Anywhere from seconds to hours may be right for your situation.

In my case it's low (over)loads for minutes, fairy regularly.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social