Author Topic: Offgrid UK  (Read 1039 times)

pedro54

Offgrid UK
« on: February 22, 2023, 06:33:00 AM »
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody managed to go off grid in the UK and what did you do to achieve this?

Peter

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Offgrid UK
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 09:43:12 AM »
Only little bits.  My primary Internet server and sometimes the router and laptop ... also!

https://www.earth.org.uk/energy-systems-diagrams.html#Off-grid

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

mab

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 05:06:40 PM »
Simple answer is yes. There are a lot of homes that are completely off the grid, some due to remote location, others by choice.

I've been sort of off grid (for electricity): i do have a grid connection but i only use it as a backup - up til now.

Started out with a small solar array and a small battery running lights, radio, computer and fridge,  then over the years it's gradually gotten bigger and more and more stuff runs off grid.

If starting now it would be much easier and cheaper as there's a lot more off-the-shelf equipment and it's a lot cheaper than 15yrs ago.

tanner0441

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 11:01:51 AM »
Hi

Yes I installed a small system for a woman living in a remote location. Only 450W of solar 230Ah of 12V Battery and a Spark 1.5Kw inverter.

All her lights, yard, building etc, are on 12V. The inverter runs her vacuum cleaner, TV, microwave and to a woman importantly a hair drier.  It has now been running without problems now for over 12 months.

I also have a system here on 12V with a 1Kw inverter that runs my workshop, grinders, pillar drill, yard lighting powertool chargers and the DC to a diesel heater in the workshop. I have just under 400W of solar MPPT charge controller and 450Ah of battery. I also have a 1.5 Kw 24V system but that is down at the moment until I get at least double my battery capacity and more solar, 30 to 36V of solar doesn't impress with a 24V battery. 72V into the MPPT controller will get things moving in lower light conditions.

So yes Partially or fully off grid in the UK is alive and working well.

As a post script don't look at solar install companies for off grid some of them will not install a system that is not grid connected they don't even like installing gateways that if the power goes off you can still use your solar..

Brian