Author Topic: Advice please, on a 2v lead acid battery ah tester.  (Read 1095 times)

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
Advice please, on a 2v lead acid battery ah tester.
« on: March 05, 2023, 04:43:25 AM »
Looking for a good but not stupidly expensive 2v lead acid battery capacity tester.
I am getting to the position of starting the testing of cells on the ‘Modern version of the PLANTE battery project build’.

I have a very good, and not expensive ANCEL BA101 battery tester, recommended by ‘FRACKERS’, that has an inbuilt resistor and loads the battery for a defined short period, and then depending on the AH you set into its data base, the machine checks against its inbuilt data storage base and gives a good or bad cell. But this machine is only designed for 12v batteries.

Example,......
I have a 12v 110ah, manufacture specified rating, lead acid battery. After a  few years the voltage is  still good but the amp hours storage of the battery starts to drop as the matrix grid lead oxide falls away.
So I set the ah rating at 110ah, the Ancel ba101 machine ‘fails’ the battery. I then set for a 80ah  and it says  ‘good’ battery. I then up the ah rating setting on the Ancel ba101, to 90ah and the battery is ‘good’.  Then I up the setting to 95ah and the  battery ‘fails’.
So the battery has a true reading of 12v at somewhere between 90ah and 95ah storage capacity.

I use 12v marine batteries on my 48v 1300ah battery storage so I have 4off 12v batteries in a string. Using the Ancel ba101 tester every few months on my batteries does mean that I can match each battery ah storage in that string so one poor failed battery will not drag the other 3 down.

Photo shows the Ancel ba101 in action, and shows that this fake NEW battery from India, although rated by so called manufacture as 12v 110ah, after good charging the ah storage is weak and only achieved about 70ah.

15386-0

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

joestue

Re: Advice please, on a 2v lead acid battery ah tester.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 12:43:44 PM »
There are a number of battery capacity meters that might work, but one for sure way to make them work is add a fixed low noise 8v power supply to the battery meter.

Most of them, such as this guy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115518243666

Thr current shunt is on the negative.

Why 8 volts? Because the decimal point on thr meter will stay below 9.99 volts giving 2 digits precision. I can confirm this later today, as i have one of those meters.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 03:03:44 PM »
Thanks Joestue,

Your trick with adding extra DC voltage got me thinking, yea, yea, a very dangerous thing for me. Ha Ha.

I am wondering if we can cheat my Ancell ba101 tester.

By adding suffecient voltage to the 2v battery voltage to get the Ancel to think that the 2v battery is a 12v one.

The Ancell will test the laod/resistance in a specified time.

I expect the new 2v battery to be about 400ah to start with.

I will have a good think what would happen to my varible power supply and see if it would be damaged by the load/resistance test tha Ancel would require.

My varible Lab PSU is 0-60vdc and 0-40amp output.

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 07:44:35 PM »
Would you be willing to do it the simple way, with just a resistor, a voltmeter and an ammeter?
You have to watch it and record the numbers regularly for the whole time.
To get the result, you have do the math yourself.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca