Author Topic: Lifep04 recommended/max boost time  (Read 1326 times)

fabieville

Lifep04 recommended/max boost time
« on: March 06, 2023, 03:36:01 AM »
What is the max and recommended boost time i should use to charge my Lifepo4 battery. I currently have a 24V 100ah Redodo Lifepo4 battery running on my solar system. At first my mppt is charging in bulk/mppt mode after which it switches to boost mode when it reaches a certain voltage.
I currently have it set to 20mins for boost mode. I'm hoping i can push it to at least 1hr or 2hr. I have reduce the boost voltage to 27.4v because i don't want to charge up to 100%. I want to make 90% my max charge at all times to achieve a lot more cycles out of the battery.
Even thou i set the boost to 27.4v on my controller, it reach to 27.2v and then begins to display boost and basically stuck there and won't reach up to 27.4v so i am guessing is because the boost time is too low because after the 20mins it changes from boost to float and still remains at the 27.2v and i have no option of turning off the float mode. So i am assuming if i increase the boost time to a much longer time then it will evenutally reach up to 27.4v and remain at that voltage.

Please advised me on the best move forward. I am currently using the Renogy Rover 100amp mppt Li charge controller and i have it on the user mode settings where i can adjust the parameters.

Best regards,
Fabian

Jackir

Re: Lifep04 recommended/max boost time
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 01:22:26 AM »
Start with a 30-minute boost time, and gradually increase if needed while monitoring battery behavior. Keep the boost voltage at 90% for longevity. The 27.2V issue may be related to boost time; try extending it.

Jackir

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 10:08:01 AM »
In your situation, I'd suggest extending the boost time to 1-2 hours. This should help your battery reach 27.4V more consistently. Keep an eye on it to make sure it's working as intended. If you need more guidance, you can refer to the Renogy manual or contact their support.

Bossrox

• DIY'er 22kw solar, 32kw battery storage
    • DIY Solar... Power, Water Heating, Furnaces & Other Off Grid Wizardry
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 04:37:07 PM »
I don't believe it matters how long the boost is. As soon as it reaches it's target voltage, it should drop into float regardless of the boost time.