Author Topic: So now I have an iSta Breeze Heli 4.0  (Read 1397 times)

makenzie71

So now I have an iSta Breeze Heli 4.0
« on: March 26, 2023, 11:10:52 PM »
Exciting new project.

Working on the tower...going to be a tri-pole rig made of 2 3/8 drill pipe like my i2000 is mounted on, but the base is going to be twice as wide.  There's a 7ft spread between the corners...I'm contemplating redoing it at 8ft...there's going to 6-foot posts at each corner to sink into the ground and probably about 500lbs of concrete on each one.  There's going to be two of these triangles connected by a hinge.  The base will set into the ground and the tower will tilt up on top of it.  Probably still two months from being able to stand the thing up.

MattM

Re: So now I have an iSta Breeze Heli 4.0
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 12:30:58 AM »
Is the 4.0 for 4kW?  That's big.

makenzie71

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 12:34:00 AM »
Yeah rated output is suppose to be 3800w at 27mph...that number is going to turn out to be a little bloated I'm sure, but I expect it to be a 1000~1500w nominal output turbine.

topspeed

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 12:45:22 AM »
Can you show what the generator looks like ?

Cool project. Much appreciated.
These wind turbines must for that reason in a deeper sense be of a timeless beauty, so that they do not in three or four decades hence burden a later generation with a heavy task of removing angular skeletons.....

Ulrich Hütter

Aerodynamics is highly educated guessing, worked out to 5 decimals

makenzie71

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 12:49:44 AM »
Can you show what the generator looks like ?

Cool project. Much appreciated.

Absolutely, I'm working on a couple videos for it and have am putting together a collection of pictures.

kitestrings

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 01:08:08 PM »
Look forward to hearing more.  Does it tilt back?  I not sure I understand why the tail mounts behind/below as it appears.  Good luck.

makenzie71

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 01:38:33 PM »
Look forward to hearing more.  Does it tilt back?  I not sure I understand why the tail mounts behind/below as it appears.  Good luck.

Yeah it tilts back, the bars on the side and that big "C" shaped chunk of metal are the counterweight.  The tail bolts to the stub...same as the Heli 2.0 and the their "wind safe" models.

makenzie71

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 07:20:41 PM »
The idea here is that I'll have a base that matches the tower...the tower will be on a hinge, tilt it up and bolt it to the base.  Cutting this tubing at nice 60 degree angles is tricky...but I thought I was doing well well until I stood them next to one another...

Off by 2"...I can still make it work but it's mildly infuriating to have missed by that much lol.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 11:50:50 AM »
One of my often used shop purchases is a cold cut metal saw that can go +- 70ish degrees each side... like a metal miter saw. No sparks, no heating of the work piece... Friend drop in with stuff to cut, with all the stuff I work on something gets cut about once a week(lot of aluminum in my case)

makenzie71

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 11:58:54 AM »
I would have loved that...my saw can do 45 degrees.  I had to take the gate off to be able to get it to 60 degrees and guide it using wooden jigs.  My second attempt a tually came out really clean, my first atempt was off a few degrees on each cut it seems.

MattM

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 07:33:03 AM »
A grinder can fix it.  But its easier to cut one side all the same then make up for the minor differences on the opposite leg.

makenzie71

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 10:28:37 PM »
I love making my own stuff...to the point of genuine aggravation when I have to hire something out...but it was just better to do so here.  This is the stub for the Heli 4.0.  The pipe is 4.5 inches OD and the plate is 5/8", my welder just wasn't up for it.  I also didn't have a good way to cut it.  It took me all weekend to whittle the top flange out so I can drill the holes.  I had my favorite shop cut the middle disk and do the welding.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2023, 09:16:07 AM »
I always use having to hire custom work and the enormous shop rates they charge as an excuse to buy tools. It aggravates me when I get cornered in to hiring things out too.  It does happen on occasion though.

Your new toy looks pretty good.  I'll be watching to see how it works and what it produces. 

I made a mess of cutting a long angle on the tail of my turbine when i built it.  I filled the gap with weld.  I still see it every time i tip the thing for service.  Ugly lasts. 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2023, 12:24:29 PM »
I always use having to hire custom work and the enormous shop rates they charge as an excuse to buy tools. It aggravates me when I get cornered in to hiring things out too.  It does happen on occasion though.

Your new toy looks pretty good.  I'll be watching to see how it works and what it produces. 

I made a mess of cutting a long angle on the tail of my turbine when i built it.  I filled the gap with weld.  I still see it every time i tip the thing for service.  Ugly lasts.

Ugly lasts but unless you point it out nobody is going to notice it LOL

ruddycrazy

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2023, 03:17:26 AM »
It would be great if you could take and end plate off that motor housing so we can all have a peek at what is inside  8) as I am thinking of my first motor conversion which was good to a Kw but the thin wire as it is just a 2hp motor can only handle that amount of current.

Cheers Bryan

makenzie71

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2023, 09:11:20 PM »
It would be great if you could take and end plate off that motor housing so we can all have a peek at what is inside  8) as I am thinking of my first motor conversion which was good to a Kw but the thin wire as it is just a 2hp motor can only handle that amount of current.

Cheers Bryan

I could barely get the i1500 back together after popping the rotor out for an inspection...the idea of trying to get the rotor out of the Heli 4.0 is daunting.  I'm certain I don't have the equipment or strength to pull it off lol

ruddycrazy

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2023, 01:16:42 AM »
I have done that size and larger to pull apart when I've repaired these gennies before and yes they can be fun, first I just take both end caps off secure the body of the unit and give the rotor a decent pull. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't so by doing it vertically using a chain block it's an easy job to get them out.

Now to get the rotor back in place vertically is the way to go as when it wants to hit home the body of the unit will jump up and sit home, then place the end caps back on and set it up.