Logged in users > User Diaries

My radial flux generator prototype

<< < (2/3) > >>

SimonMester:

--- Quote from: MattM on June 08, 2023, 01:42:44 AM ---Are you going to 3D print the outer frame to hold your coils?

Perhaps you can make some rings that stack, to assemble a shell, that holds your coils with precision spacing.

--- End quote ---

So I did that originally, but I faced a few problems.
For one the spacing wasn't great, so I need to remake it, but before I do that, I want to figure out how/what kind of cores I want to/ can make for them. So I assembled this more soddy version to experiment with before I go through another half a liter of UV resin for printing. :D

I also got some freebie, small ferrite cores, and yeah, they drastically increased the power, even in a completely suboptimal setup, literally just thrown inside some of the coils.

So I came up with an idea, that will make for some fun sciencing too!
I could get some cheap resin, and I found a cheap magnetite powder source. I could make the same size cores with different % magnetite and test on a coil just to have an idea. (And glorious science)

After all that I could make some final cores and redesign the stator in CAD and put it all together.

JW:
This reminds me of the design with/of others here, with hard drive magnets.

MattM:
Perhaps you can limit your printing to coil stators that hold your magnetite and create the outer shell ring with your aluminum sheet.  And instead of any inner ring, use simple endcaps that you can fasten to the stators that help hold then into place. Simple, inexpensive, and consistently reproducible.

SimonMester:

--- Quote from: MattM on June 09, 2023, 07:43:57 AM ---Perhaps you can limit your printing to coil stators that hold your magnetite and create the outer shell ring with your aluminum sheet.  And instead of any inner ring, use simple endcaps that you can fasten to the stators that help hold then into place. Simple, inexpensive, and consistently reproducible.

--- End quote ---

The sheet is stainless steel, but I suppose that doesn't make much difference. Not sure what you mean by end caps?
I'm a bit low on funds to get the magnetite at the moment, even though I really want to do the experiments and found a pretty good source here. Get 6 kilos of natural magnetite powder for 37 GBP. Shipping makes it a bit more but still.
I plan on making the molds for the magnetite cores with my 3D printer, just weak ones that can be peeled away.
To be honest, I could just epoxy the coils and the cores to the metal sheet backing, I'm not sure if a strict stator structure is even necessary.

EDIT: I'm also getting a lot of mild steel bits tomorrow, and a lot more NdFeB magnets in the coming weeks. I also found a model making company who sell ceramic magnets in 2 piece packs (48x22x10mm) for 1$ each!
I got 30 packs reserved, so I'll have 60 of those magnets.

Lots of science to be done ^^

SimonMester:
So, I have been hard at work, figuring stuff out. I'll include a new update later on iron cores, which has been quite a journey.
For now, behold, the new rotor: https://youtu.be/AB8eOKk-Hro
100x10x10mm NdFeB magnets on mild steel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version