Newbies > Newbies

affect of dual vs single rotor

(1/4) > >>

defed:
let's presume i have a set of coils and running a single rotor, what affect does adding a 2nd rotor have?  is only the voltage increased or also the amperage?

seems this should have been an easy answer to find, but i've been searching for awhile w/ no luck!

thanks!

Mary B:
Only increase voltage(doubles) if you run them in series, current stays the same, in parallel it is the same voltage but double the current

defed:
thanks, i was thinking only voltage changed....but i'm a little confused on the part about series vs parallel.  are you referring to how the coils are wired up?

for my experimental setup, i have a single phase stator, 4 coils wired in series.  i am running a single rotor.  i used pretty fine wire, not knowing what i wanted to do - to get a baseline...i get plenty of voltage, just not many amps.  so before i wind some coils w/ thicker wire, i was wondering what adding the 2nd rotor would change...and that is only to increase voltage.  but knowing that may affect how i proceed w/ the new coils.

MattM:
If you have three phases each 'stator' then adding a second stator gives you six phases.  Phases all tied in serial would be double voltage for a single phase.  (e.g. 2v * 6 = 12v)  Or run each stator as a single phase to double amperage, but across two phases.  (e.g. 2v * 3 = 6v * 2)  Or you could run each paired opposing phases in serial would be double amperage for each of three phases.  (e.g. 2v * 2 = 4v * 3)  Or you could run each phase as standalone to simply have six phases.  (e.g. 2v * 1 = 2v * 6)  Do ask yourself if you want 1, 2, 3 or 6 phases.

Or if you like wobble, run the phases from one stator out of phase with the opposing stator and mismatch phases so its imbalanced.  Or run something like four phases (serial or parallel) separate from the remaining two phases (serial or parallel).  Some people are wired to do crazy stuff like that.

defed:
right now, i have 1 stator, single phase, and 1 rotor.  what i wanted to know is what happens to the output of the stator when adding a 2nd rotor (everything else staying the same -  rpm, stator wiring).  if i get 30v and 1 amp now, adding another identical rotor will do what.....60v and 1 amp?

as i don't understand how to design a stator to do what i want, i am experimenting and just winding some coils.  then i will attempt to adjust and tune it to where i want to be.  this is axial flux.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version